“La Perla”

Ranked #19 of 216 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 13, 2014

This was an amazing experience for my boyfriend and I. We were both so impressed with how friendly everyone was. It doesn’t matter who was passing you, everyone smiled and said hola! After a couple days most of the people around the resort learned our names, which was even more enjoyable saying hi to people as you walked around. We ended up not booking with the Royal Service which we didn’t regret at all. One of the main things I remember noticing was that the certain portion of the beach that was reserved to RS members, was also the worst section of the beach. The sand was the same all the way across, I mean once you stepped in to the water. It’s dark with a lot of rocks which makes it really hard to walk without wondering what unknown creature or plant life you’re sticking your toes in. Further down the beach where the rest of the members can go, there were much less rocks which left the water looking clearer and that classic Caribbean color you see in pictures. The water on the RS side was dark because of the rocks unfortunately.

I’ve read other people’s reviews and found that there were complaints about children. The only part of the resort that’s combined on both sides are the restaurants. So yes you’ll see families and may be seated next to someone with bratty children at dinner, but then you can retreat back to the La Perla side with no worries.

Even though we went during the high season and the resort was booked, it never felt like it was over crowded or busy. The food, oh the food. It was so delicious at all the restaurants we went to. The Market was our favorite. We did have minor issues with the AC in our room, which would be as cold as we wanted it to be during the day, but at night we couldn’t seem to get the room cooler than the low 70’s. Someone came up right away and tinkered the thermostat which seemed to do the trick. We also ordered room service one night, and it took over an hour for a plate of penne with marinara sauce to make its way up to us, but that’s honestly the only less than perfect moments on the trip.

Overall the people stood out the most to us. Everyone was so nice, courteous, helpful, genuinely interested in us having a good time and finding any way they can offer suggestions of things to do in the area. We most certainly expect to come back again sometime in the future!

Room Tip: The Swim up rooms could be good or bad depending on who you are. During the day they play loud hous...
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Carrie M
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2014

Dear Guest,

We want to thank you for sharing with other tourists and with us your experience at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla.

It is a real satisfaction for us to know that you have enjoyed our nice facilities, the excellent food at our restaurants without excluding the warm service from our personnel.

Regarding Room Service, we have sent your notes to the Food and Beverage management. Please be sure they will work on this aspect in order to improve our service.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back, and you can be sure that we will never cease in our efforts to constantly improve the quality of services provided.

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla

Write a ReviewReviews (9,473)

Reviewed August 13, 2014

I do not know even where to begin this review. Everything was just so amazing, romantic, thrilling and delicious. From the food, to the room until the poolside and the beach - I can't stop remembering all the memories. We also did two activities. One was a night out in coco bongo where we loved the show and our never ending margertias.

The other activity was a trip on a catamaran to Las Islas Mujeres and the journey was beautiful. Clear water. They stopped in the middle to do some snorkeling. I do not enjoy it so much so for me it was nothing special. My boyfriend however did have the chance to go and he said it was really pretty but that the one that he went to close to the hotel was much more beautiful.

The restaurants to choose from in the hotel were endless and all of them so good. It is one of the main reasons we would really love to come back for since we did not have the change to try all. The service everywhere was great and we felt good the entire stay there.

The only problem I had was the jetlag but that is normal when you fly from Europe. It did not stop us from having an amazing time.

Overall it was one of the best experiences of my life and whenever I think back on this holiday I smile from ear to ear.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blanek1
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for selecting us as a destination for your vacation.

We appreciate you highlighted our LUXEclusive plan that distinguish us from other all inclusive hotels, with our wide variety and quality in restaurants, where our guests never get bored and enjoy every single meal.

It will be always a pleasure to welcome you back and provide you more unforgettable experiences!

Reviewed August 13, 2014

We bought a 7 night 8 day stay and Paradisus La Perla and we a bit skeptical, but the hotel exceeded our expectations. Amazing rooms, great food, awesome service. Beautiful, clean, well kept. Loved it!!

Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
4  Thank Emily L

Dear guest,

It has been a pleasure for all of us to host you and we are happy to know that you had an incredible stay based on everything you found in Paradisus: our LUXEclusive plan, amazing rooms, good food and great service.

Thank you for your comments and we hope you visit us again in the near future.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

Read others reviews they were right! If your looking for an adult only all inclusive resort this place is not for you right now. This resort is two resorts in one adult only and family but youshare activities and resteraunts. I called before going because I saw meationed of this on the reviews but they fibed. did talk to a manger and she's going to work on the kinks.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Melia Hotels International
2  Thank NMDR1010
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for your notes.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience with us did not live up to your expectations and would like to extend our sincerest apologies.

Reviewed August 13, 2014

My wife and I spent 10 days at Paradisus La Perla. We chose a Junior Suite in Royal Service (RS). I was very pleased with our stay. Overall I'd rate this resort as excellent.

The first thing I'd like to mention is that the people working at the resort are incredible, and their attention to detail is what sets this place apart from many other all-inclusives. This quality became apparent immediately upon our arrival. We arrived around noon, and our room was understandably not ready yet. Lazaro, our butler (a personal concierge included in Royal Service) had already made plans for us to have lunch at La Palapa. Instead of letting us just fend for ourselves we were shown to the restaurant, and had a nice leisurely lunch while our room was being prepared.
The Blue Agave Bar quickly became our favorite place to have a pre (and post) dinner drink because the amazing bartenders Usias and Marco were not only very skilled at making drinks, but they made us feel welcomed and at ease. These guys are very knowledgeable about tequila and mezcal, and provided us with some really good drinks. After a couple nights and some friendly conversation they knew what we wanted better than we did ourselves. On top of all that they were also working hard at making drinks for the restaurant orders, taking care of guests at the bar, and helping greatly with my attempts at conversing in Spanish. I can't say enough good things about Marco and Usias. We hope to see them both again at Blue Agave.

My wife and I are what you'd call foodies. Up until now I had pretty much given up on all-inclusive food. Paradisus has now set the standard for us. The food is not only good by resort standards, it is as good as many fine dining restaurants we've been to. It's not always perfect, but they more often than not get it just right with flavor, technique, and plating. We stayed away from the buffets and ate at the a la carte restaurants. Fuego, Bana, and Mole were our favorites. The menus are varied and interesting with a lot of exciting choices to keep food lovers happy. I have been told, as a broad generalization, that Mexicans aren't really into desserts like Americans are. I had exactly two good desserts out of many attempts. Those soggy, thawed out cakes aren't fooling me. That's okay. The other food more than made up for it, but I thought it worth mentioning in case anyone from the food service reads this.

I don't give good reviews of pools and beaches. Maybe I'm too forgiving. There is an ocean abutting some really nice sand. We walked on it extensively, and enjoyed it. The RS pool was very nice, uncrowded, and a good temperature. The other pools were too loud or crowded for my tastes, but this is a personal preference, and we were not looking to share a pool with children. I can say that if you are looking for a little less "excitement" around the pool you'll need to go with Royal Service for sure. So there is sun, sand, and water all within shouting distance of a bar - pool/beach review complete.

Just a quick mention about an amenity that a lot of people may not care about. If you are unfortunate enough to need a reliable internet connection for work or school while you're there, the WiFi at Paradisus is phenomenal compared to other places we've stayed. I had a strong signal almost everywhere I went.

The question of whether Royal Service is worth it or not seems to come up quite a bit. For us the answer is a definite yes. Many of the things that come with RS are important to us and worth the extra money. Having a "butler" to just generally take care of little things like dinner reservations for example was very nice. The RS lounge and private check in were both appreciated. The adults-only pool, and adults-only a la carte breakfast and lunch at La Palapa was worth it alone. I'd look at the things RS gets you, and see if they're important to you.

We've traveled/eaten/drank a fair bit in many different places, and I'd say that as a whole Paradisus if a fine place to spend a week or two. It's definitely one of the best all-inclusive resorts in this price range. Thank you to all the hard working people who made our stay so enjoyable

7  Thank Robert P

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience during your recent visit at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla.

We are glad to receive reviews from our guests where there express their gratitude to some of our staff members that were a significant part of their complete experience, like Lázaro form the Royal Service and Usias and Marco at Blue Agave bar. All of them will receive your notes to motivate them to continue pampering our guests.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

My husband and I just returned from one of our best vacations! We stayed in a Royal Service swim up room and it was fabulous. I had emailed the resort a couple of weeks before our arrival and received a very quick response from the concierge. Our butler was Hector and besides offering over the top service, he was genuinley a very nice person. He went out of his way to make sure every day was special. We have been fortunate enough to stay at very nice all inclusives and this one ranks right at the top. From the food, to great service from all the employees we came in contact with, to the beautiful grounds we were overwhelmed. If you were in the mood for just a quiet day, that could be found. Or if you wanted more activity, that was offered too. Thursday they have a really fun pool party and we really had a great time. I know this is one resort we will return to every chance we get! Paradisus La Perla just does it right.

Room Tip: Royal Service is worth ever penny
2  Thank sunset777
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2014

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us part of your Paradisus Royal Service experience and for highlighting the aspects you enjoyed the most during your stay, like the beautiful facilities, the delicious and assorted food at our restaurants and of course the warm service provided by our staff, special mention to Hector. We will pass along your notes about his outstanding service and the importance he had on your overall Paradisus experience.

We look forward to welcome you once more very soon.

Reviewed August 12, 2014

A destination Wedding in Mexico was the reason we stayed at Paradisus (La Perla) in Playa del Carmen,Mexico. ~ When we arrived in Cancun,there were lots of neatly dressed men and women trying to sell all kinds of tours,activities,etc. as we exited the airport. We just moved quickly and said,"No thank you!" several times. The town that Paradisus is near,Playa del Carmen, is a 40 minutes ride by taxi from the Cancun Airport. Our transfer to the resort from the airport took well over an hour because Olympus dropped passengers with us at two other resorts first. When we arrived at the resort there was a check in gate and we rode past a few long, plain-looking concrete buildings. As we got out of the van we were greeted by two pleasant people who handed us a hot face towel and ushered us into the lobby of La Perla. ( Paradisus is divided into two parts,La Perla, for adults only,and La Esmeralda, for families with children.Each has its own pools,etc. but you can move freely back and forth using the facilities at both.) At the front desk we were given our room "keys" (cards really) and had an attractive wrist band with the Paradisus logo on it put on our right wrists. We were told not to remove it during our stay. A young lady,dressed in an attractive robe-like unjform sat us down to explain the facilities.We were given a map and showed where different things were in this very large resort complex and told about the restaurants and how to make dinner reservations. Other things were explained but it was rather overwhelming,for sure. My wife whispered to me,"By the time we figure this place out, it will be time to leave!" At this point we were brought to our room,with our baggage, and the escort gave us an overview. We were in the least expensive room category,"Jr. Executive Suite" (One of the block of rooms reserved for wedding guests) on the third floor and it was gorgeous as well as very large. The private balcony overlooked a Mangrove forrest,which we could see over from the 3rd floor vantage point. To the left we saw the ocean and to the right the local neighborhood,which was very interesting and colorful. There was a large tub in the bathroom,which was divided from the main room by sliding tinted glass doors,as well as a separate shower which was really big and equipped for two. The room has lots of closet/drawer space,a big-screen color tv,a cd player,coffee maker,etc. Past the bathroom was a king-sized bed with a realistic looking glass aquarium mural which could be lit up if desired. Then the living area had a full-size couch,table,and large table with two chairs.(This came in handy since we ordered room service breakfast every morning.) EVERYTHING was included so the only money we spent was on tips,and shopping on 5th Ave. ~ Tip: Bring lots of one dollar bills for tips.You don't have to tip,but we found that old habits made it more comfortable. The reason I gave Pasadisus 4 stars rather than 5 was because of the food. To begin with,it helps if you like Mexican food,which I don't.In general I found the food to be good,but average,which should not be the case in a luxury resort. Breakfast was consistently very good. Lots of choices,and in our case brought to the room daily. For lunch there were casual buffets,or you could order at one of the restaurants if you wanted something different. We found ourselves at the pool most days where there was a short,but decent,menu.For me,the club sandwich with fries was really good,while my wife enjoyed grilled veggies and a salad. There are 11 restaurants open for dinner.One is fancy with a $15 extra charge. The other 10 provide a variety of types. ex: One is Asian Fussion,another Mexican,etc. "The Market" was my favorite. In addition to a full salad bar,11 different kinds of grilled meats were brought to the table,one at a time,during the course of dinner. "The Grill" was another good one,where I had a rib eye steak while my wife enjoyed a fish dish. (Tip: Do NOT order the pizza from Room Service! It's horrible!!) ~ The pool at La Perla is great! Water is warm,there's a bar at the pool,you can grab a bite to eat,and there are NO Kids! You also can use the really nice pool at La Esmeralda,as well as several other pools and canals in the resort. ~ The beach is nice,but not great. It's not very wide due to the Mandoves and bushes borsering it,and there are lots of rocks in the water.(Bring your water shoes!) BUT,the water is warm with a beautiful color,there are plenty of comfortable lounges and umbrellas. AND there is a bar at the beach as well as waitress service. ~ One side trip that I strongly recommend is a stroll down 5th Ave.,a 10 minutes taxi ride away.We went twice and picked up some nifty items good prices.In many cases we were able to negotiate for a much lower price.Not in the dept. stores or things like the tee shirts though.We liked it so much we went back a 2nd time. Tip: Go early in the day before it gets uncomfortably hot & humid. (It's humid all the time here in this part of Mexico due to its location sticking out in the Gulf of Mexico.) ~ All things considered,my wife and I had a wonderful time during our stay at Paradisus La Perla,and I highly recommend it if you're looking for a Mexican vacation.

Room Tip: 1st floor swim-up rooms are less private.(Need to keep drapes closed for privacy.) ~ Least expensive...
  • Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Teach_Travel_REC

Dear guest,

Thank you for writing such a detailed review of your recent stay with us at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla.

We appreciate your full description of our facilities including rooms, food, pool area, beach and service. For us, it means you really were impressed about them and you felt it was necessary to share it with us and future Paradisus visitors. We are sure they will take your suggestions in consideration to enjoy their vacations as much as you did.

Once again, thank you for your kind words and observations, we are sure for your next visit we will deserve a 5 stars rating.