We just returned from a 6 night/7 day Anniversary trip at La Perla...our plane landed just a few hours ago! This was our 5th wedding anniversary and every year we celebrate at an all-inclusive resort. Some friends stayed at La Perla last year when it first opened and had excellent things to say, especially about Royal Service. They told us that their butler reserved a pool cabana each day, brought lunch to the beach, delivered a pillow menu to their room and overall improved the vacation experience. For this reason, La Perla was a no-brainer.
We arrived to the La Perla lobby but our butler never showed up to escort us to the Royal Service lounge. We weren't too concerned and were pleasantly surprised to hear that we had been upgraded from a Junior Suite Swim Out room to a 1-Bedroom King suite Swim Out. The only catch was that we weren't in the RS tower, which was fine by us! Then things began to go down hill....
1) The resort was out of the standard RS bracelets so we were given "My Time" bracelets instead. We were told that they were "Special" and only later found out that someone was supposed to bring us the correct bracelets when they arrived the next morning. It appeared that the staff wasn't informed of "My Time bracelets" and we were hassled everywhere we went. We even had to convince the beach attendant that we were staying at the hotel before he let us onto the boardwalk!
2) When we checked in, I had to ask for the hotel vouchers that were included in our package. I was specifically told by Omar and later confirmed with him that the coupons could be combined. Of course the spa would not honor this and neither would our butler when we tried to order a bottle of champagne.
3) I had to ask for a pillow menu, which we were told was no longer offered. I asked for a cabana reservation, which was no longer offered.
4) We ordered a bottle of our favorite champagne, Asti Spumante. A few hours later, our Butler called to tell us that it was out of stock. We weren't offered anything else, no complimentary bottle of something lower quality, etc.
5) My husband lost his wedding ring on the first day!!! This was completely our fault, but the hotel handled it very poorly. He left it on the sink counter in the RS restroom. Realizing that it was lost, he went back to the restroom 20 minutes later but it was already gone. We checked with the RS desk every day and were told something different each day...no rings had been found, we'll deliver a message to Security, many rings have been found and we'll bring them to your room to review (nobody ever showed up), file a report with security- we were told this on the last day after!
6) The Biggest problem happened on day 2. It was early afternoon and we decided to fill our balcony hot tub. When my husband stood up, he bumped the giant square art piece that was hanging on the wall and it fell, breaking 2 glasses and cutting my husband's hand. We were obviously shook up, thank goodness he didn't need stitches. I went to the RS lobby but they didn't seem to understand the implications...GLASS in a hot tub, exposed wires from behind the art work and a bleeding husband! I was getting emotional at their lack of interest and simply walked out. About 15 minutes later a first aid attendant arrived and delivered band aids. Another person arrived to clean the mess on our balcony and a 3rd came to take pictures of the scene. There was never an apology, nothing to make up for the accident. We expected the hotel to go above and beyond to make the situation right, but our butler wasn't even informed.
7) We were told that our butler would prepare our hot tub 1 night during our stay so we chose the final night. We had 6:30 dinner reservations and arrived back to the room at 8:15 excited to see our final turn down service. It hadn't happened yet! Beyond disappointed, we began filling the tub ourselves and 30 minutes later our butler arrived to finish the job. It definitely took the excitement out of our evening.
8) I ordered 2 bottles of Aromatherapy spray as a nice reminder of our visit to La Perla once we were home. Our butler acknowledged the order and told me later that she was having a hard time finding fresh bottles but she'd deliver them to our room once they arrived. They never showed up, no further mention of them and we left the resort without our souvenir aromatherapy spray.
9) On our first night we received a list of restaurant reservations from our butler. Everything was going smoothly until we showed up on night 4 to La Palapa and he attendant told us that our name wasn't on the list! My husband had to walk back to the room and bring the printed card to prove we did indeed have a reservation which was made by our butler.
10) To top things off, our key stopped working at noon on our final day. Our butler confirmed that check-out was 1pm and so after lunch we headed back to our room to pack our final things only to find that our key had been deactivated. With everything else that had happened, we shouldn't have been surprised but it was a really frustrating way to end our vacation.
I have NO complaints about the food, everything we tried was excellent. The staff at the Sunset Grill were phenomenal and began to recognize us and bring nachos as soon as we arrived.
The room was beautiful and the view was extraordinary. My one complaint was the delay in cleaning. We waited some days until 3pm for our room to be serviced.
We take 2 big trips every year, an all-inclusive resort and a cruise. I don't think that we'll be up for giving La Perla another chance since our first experience was so disappointing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla is a hotel catering to the discerning all-inclusive traveler. With 58 swim-up suites, opulent furnishings, and international cuisine prepared by award-winning chefs, this adults-only hotel is a crowd pleaser. Rooms feature special touches like deep soaker tubs and rainfall showers. Marble floors, flat-screen TVs, Minibar, in-room safe, free Wi-Fi, coffee maker, bathrobes and slippers, cable TV service and a DVD/CD player compliment the trendy interior design. Stay active with water sports like aqua aerobics, yoga, zumba and volleyball, or visit the spacious fitness facility. The Spa offers a wet and dry sauna($). Try a different menu every night with 14 restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla Riviera Maya, Mexico