“Best Stay in Mexico to date”

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Ranked #23 of 214 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Baltimore, Maryland
“Best Stay in Mexico to date”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

It was a bit pricey to book Paradisus (sweem-up suite) but we absolutely loved the resort. As long as you don't go during the most busy season in mexico like end of December through March or around holidays like thanksgiving you will love this place. Its a large resort with aournd 3000 rooms so i can imagine the service would suffer if it was fully booked. This is a brand new resort opened in end of 2011. The rooms restaurants and facilities are very modern. The food was amazing and they had plenty of restaurants to choose from. The beach was a bit rocky but plenty of spots where they took the rocks out and its a nice area to enter.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for providing a short and concrete review from our new facilities, warm service, restaurant options and detailed decoration. Every day receiving good comments like yours could mean only one thing: our effort in reflected in our guest´s satisfaction.

We value your notes.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,842)
  • Hebrew first
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 17, 2013

Stayed here last week for our honeymoon, and it certainly lived up to the name. Staff were super friendly and couldn't do enough to make sure our stay was pleasant. Resort is spacious, well laid out, and thoughtfully furnished. We spent most of our time on various sunbeds & Palapas by the pool being waited on - whatever drinks or food we wanted were brought right to us - no need to even move! I was also very impressed with the quality of the food & drinks on offer, and the restaurants were all top notch - just like going out for a posh meal every night, and they certainly didn't skimp on quality. Finally, the room...We had a Royal Service Ocean-View Suite, and the room was spacious, with a big bath, double shower, and jacuzzi. It was always immaculately turned down, and restocked frequently. In short - the perfect honeymoon.

Room Tip: The main pool area is more lively, great atmosphere but sometimes a little bit like a big party. Gr...
1 Thank EddyPPP
Dear guest,

We appreciate the time you took to write a review from your honeymoon at Paradisus La Perla. It is fantastic for us to read that your expectations were surpassed during a once in a lifetime trip.

It is amazing to read you had a wonderful stay, taking advantage of our LUXEclusive plan, your room´s comfort, the cozy sunbeds at the pool area, and all the extra amenities and services you have gotten by staying at our Royal Service section.

Once again thank you very much for your preference, your recommendation and we will be pleased to host you again in the near future at Paradisus La Perla.

Fonthill, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We just returned from Paradisus-La Perla, (adults only side of the resort). The hotel is absolutely great! The staff are outstanding, friendly and attentive. We stayed in a deluxe suite which was more than ample although the swim up suites look pretty neat. We have travelled to a number of resorts and this by far has been the best. There is a lot of choices for dinner and the food is very good. We just wanted to say thanks to all the staff and management for making our trip memorable.

1 Thank SEC1966
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review from your stay at Paradisus La Perla on Trip Advisor.

We are proud of all our staff members; all of them work very hard every day to satisfy all our guests’ needs, always with a smile on their face and taking care of every single detail. One of our commitments is to motivate them to keep with their outstanding service vocation.

Please consider Paradisus La Perla as your home in Playa del Carmen. We will be waiting for your return.

Kahoka
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Stayed 2/10-15 in Master Suite without Royal Service. Resort is about 40-45 min f/airport.

Room- we stayed in rm 1333 in a master bedroom suite. This was top floor looking directly at ocean, but the furthest from the ocean, more of the rooms are partial view because they face each other and you would have to lean over your balcony to see the ocean. Room was nice, two person jacuzzi in the bathroom, dining room table, kitchenette with no plates, etc. living room area. All modern granite and dark woods. We also had a whirlpool tub on our balcony. Which we wouldn't have used but since the rooms on the top floors don't have glass railings like the lower floors we had more privacy so we used it 4/5 days! Our room was cleaned well and turn down service tidied up the room each night. Kinda neat and helpful- each room has a master switch that turns all lights off, there like 100 of them... The bedroom shades aren't blackout shades, though if they would have been I probley would have slept till noon not 9a.m..

Property- very modern, nice layout, beautiful plants, etc. main pool and swim outs are not heated. I understand the Royal service pool is though. The hotel is built a little ways from the ocean with mangroves to help protect incase of hurricane. The property is not large, I run and that wasn't possible here as there was too much foot traffic and the property layout isn't made for this as you would be running down hotel hallways and that's not appropriate. I didn't feel comfortable running the beach alone either and I refuse to run on a treadmill while in Mexico... The property is right next to a residential area. The first night there I asked my husband why someone would bring their dog only to realize it was the neighborhood dogs. I couldn't hear them with our bedroom door shut. Our room was at the back of the property so I'm guessing for 75% of the rooms this wouldn't be an issue.

Beach- first of all a shout out to our phenomenal beach butler Luis Marcelo- the first day we were there he welcomed us to "his office". Luis never let our drinks run dry, brought us lunch-the best cheeseburgers and nachos! Thank you Luis! BEST part of our trip! Onto what I think was the most disappointing part of the trip-the beach is narrow, as in there are some beach chairs that are about in the water. As well as you will be good friends with your neighbors as they will be two inches from you. We did not have a problem getting chairs. I can't fault the resort for the beach it's a balance preserving the mangroves and their natural purpose as well as keeping us tourists happy. The beach isn't terribly rocky and my husband and I were able to get in and play in the waves no problem. Since the hotel is near a residential area you kinda got a public beach feel with lots of nonresort traffic. No big deal to me, jus different from other resorts that feel like you are in the middle of no where.

Food- I usually say "no one goes to Mexico for the food" (see previous reviews, LOL)- this year i cant say that! We ate at Hadar, which is your standard breakfast buffet each a.m., Great service. Lunch we did the Sunset at poolside-yummy wraps! The grill-great empanadas, and Naos- which Is the family side buffet fair. Again Luis brining us lunch on the beach by far was our absolute favorite lunches! Dinner, ah diner. You must make reservations if you want to eat anywhere besides the buffet. We didn't have any problems getting good times- 7ish, 8ish despite Royal Service ppl getting preferred times(according to the hotel guide). We ate at Fuego which is Latin fusion and I had a flank steak with green peppers, husband had a steak and said it was good. We ate at Mole the next night which was Mexican, it just wasn't our thing. The people next to us thought it was great tho. We also at at the Grill and this is what changed our tune! First our waiters (we ate there twice!) were adorable, so funny and sweet! My hubby ordered the two lobster tails and steak for the additional cost and he was in heaven. Obviously if we went back and he ordered the same thing. The first night our waiter even brought the fresh meat for us to choose what cut we wanted. I had a -and I never thought I would say this in my life-a delicious steak... In Mexico. Oh also, I ate fresh grilled asparagus at every meal and it was amazing. We at at Naos one night and gosh we were never so happy to see mozzarella sticks ;-) sometimes you just miss American bar food okay? Room service, ordered dessert, and I may replace my generalization about Mexican food to dessert in Mexico. I've never had dry cheesecake until now. The desserts, all of them just lacked the richness and flavor we have in the U.S. -you know the thought"oh my gosh this is so good it should be illegal, thank goodness I can eat like this cause I'm on vacation" yeah, you won't get that, and wont be saying it...But they sell candy in the gift shop.

Drinks- try a mango tango, it won't get you drunk, but it's yummy. Beer... It's been a while since we have been to a resort that had Corona. They don't have it here either. No American beer-one resort we went to had Coors-go figure. It's Dos Equis, and Tecate, always better with a lime. You need to ask for top shelf liquor. I had the house white for dinner one night, and I'm terrible with wine and generally like cheap stuff and it was good to me.

Spa-we did 50min massages and they were very nice, this year my poor husband didn't feel like his masseuse took out her aggression a on his back. Very gentle and relaxing. We did this at 6:30 in the evening, which we liked as we didn't miss any of our sun time!

And last but not least, the timeshare, travel agency pitch... We spent the better part of 2 + hrs hearing this out. You can draw your own conclusions if you are interested.

Overall we enjoyed our visit we are relaxed and well rested. The staff here was above par in being welcoming, accommodating, helpful and pleasant. We don't plan on returning soon though as we enjoy visiting a different resort each year. We just haven't found "the one" yet.

1 Thank cmpglen
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear guest,

We can hardly describe how it feels like to read we have surpassed your expectations during your stay at Paradisus La Perla.

You contemplated a lot of details everywhere. We appreciate your interest and dedication shown in your review.

Our LUXEclusive plan continues surprising most of our tourists because it is unique at an All-inclusive resort. As you described, the quality and variety are extraordinary in all of our restaurants and bars. We will continue this way as all of you have been asking us to do it.

It is great to read that your beach experience was enriched for the attentive service provided by Luis. We will pass along your notes to his supervisor to motivate him to continue with his great service.

Again, thank you for your recommendation to future visitors, and we really hope for your return to the Riviera Maya!

Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2013

This resort is unprecedented in terms of luxury, food and overall experience. If I had to emphasize one thing it would have to be THE FOOD! I would compare it to going to a fine dining restaurant in your city for three meals a day. I have never eaten such good quality and so well for one week straight. Some may argue against the all inclusive but for us it was an absolute dream and it was definitely worth it! Also, the resort is really spectacular. They have everything you need and its beautiful walking around the resort and its not too far from the town if you prefer more action. I would highly recommend this resort and since it was our honeymoon it was the perfect spot for us. Would definitely go again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Celebrating special occasions with our guests is something we really enjoy because it would be an unforgettable experience, no doubt about it. Thank you for selecting Paradisus for your honeymoon and for your wishes in coming back.

We feel proud of our Food & Beverage department due their daily effort to satisfy all palates in the same place. Fortunately we have a lot of professionals in their field and the result is reflected in your surpassed expectations.

We would be honored if you decide to come back to Paradisus La Perla to celebrate one of many future anniversaries you will celebrate together.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We just returned from a week at Paradisus La Perla and the resort is absolutely incredible. We stayed in the Royal Service section which really adds to your experience and well worth the additional cost. The rooms are well appointed and the beds incredibly comfortable. The staff are very friendly and always looking to ensure that you are having a great experience. Anahi our butler made sure to look after all of our needs. The choice in restaurants is vast and added to our experience. Our dinner at Passions was one of the best we have ever had. We chose the tasting menu and if you are open to trying things you may not typically it is a wonderful gastronomical experience.

Overall the best resort we have ever been to and looking forward to returning soon.

1 Thank PGK01
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your amazing Paradisus Royal Service experience.
Be sure that your butler Anahí will be informed about your recognition to the outstanding service provided. She was an important part from your whole experience and she deserves to know it.

We appreciate your recommendation to future tourists to take the opportunity to have an unique and unforgettable dining experience at our restaurant “Passion by Martin Berasategui”, our 7 Michelin stars awarded chef. It is definitely a hard to miss occasion when coming to Paradisus.

Thank you for giving your and we hope you will write another one regarding your future stay at Paradisus La Perla.

Lakeville, MN
Reviewed February 14, 2013

What I loved:
- Beautiful rooms
- Gorgeous decor throughout the resort
- Very new and modern
- A variety of restaurants with fancy food
- Lovely white sand beach

What I would change:
- The ocean wasn't visible from the pool or most of the hotel - maybe this is a Playa thing? - but I would have loved being able to see the beach more
- I wish they had floaties for the pools (Sandals spoiled me) - maybe bring your own :)
- We had "Royal Service" which comes with a butler and some other features which I would say you could skip - but I'm not really a butler type person
- Not much of a Mexico vibe

So overall, great resort - you can see my negative list is pretty petty and personal taste things, so I would definitely recommend this resort to someone looking for a modern, upscale and gorgeous beach getaway.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#33 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 6,726 reviews
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#32 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,963 reviews
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#49 of 214 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,196 reviews

Been to Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla? Share your experiences!