“Falls short”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Ottawa, Canada
“Falls short”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Let me start by saying I do not like writing bad reviews and I usually don’t. However, after our stay at La Perla over the Christmas week, I feel I need to do it because I figure that maybe other people felt the same way and that might be one of the reasons we picked this resort. It really makes me wonder where other reviewers have stayed before this one. Do I think it is a horrible resort? I don’t. Nor do I believe that no one could really enjoy their time there. For us, it was the worst value in Riviera Maya, compared to other resorts we have stayed at in the past. I guess it is all relative so as I have mentioned in previous reviews, take this one from someone who is indeed very picky, but also someone who knows the area (it was our 11th visit in the last few years) and what it has to offer. Adults only resorts that we have stayed at in the past in the area are El Dorado Royale, Royal Playa del Carmen and Valentin Imperial Maya. El Dorado and Royal are far superior. Valentin is comparable to the Paradisus, but much cheaper, which makes it better value in my opinion.

First of all, the location is weird, as other reviewers have mentioned. I do not agree that the neighbourhood is shady and you would not want to walk there, but it is further than I expected from the shops in Playa.

The general look of the hotel is modern and sleek, maybe a bit “sterile” almost, but there is nothing wrong with that. Not that hacienda feel you may find at other places, but again, it is a nice looking hotel, more of a city hotel look. Same thing about the rooms (we stayed in Royal Service, regular junior suite): they look good, but we did not find them to be very practical. The “toilet” room is pretty annoying as there is no sink in there so you need to go wash your hands in the bathroom which I don’t think is overly hygienic. And what can I say about those beautiful frosted glass sliding doors around the bathroom? They are so heavy and would always get reopened whenever housekeeping would come by! It seems like it was the only thing they did too as our room was filthy from the get go. I could actually write in the dust on the coffee table and on the shelves in the bathroom. They only came twice for turndown service, leaving treats once: fruit salad with no cutlery. They would never leave enough towels either and we would always have to ask for more. You’d think that they would get annoyed at us for asking all the time and would replace the ones they removed by the same number, but I guess that would make too much sense. If you like a soft bed, you’ll be happy there, too soft for me, but that’s just a matter of personal taste. The bedsheets did not cover the entire mattress which grossed me out, but I get grossed out easily. Mini-bar was very good, a bit inconsistent as to what would get refilled and what would not, but not a big deal.

We had requested a top floor room, but Expedia messed up and asked for a ground floor room, which actually was a happy accident as the terraces are way bigger than the balconies. Room service was generally good, but they need to do something about the fact that it happens very often that you get a busy signal when trying to order and that can last for a long time. There was one time that it took about an hour and a half to get our food and it was unsurprisingly ice cold.

Karen was our butler and she does know her stuff and will go out of her way to help you out. It was a whole other story when she was not there as some of the other people sitting in the Royal Service lobby knew nothing about the resort and could not have given us a useful answer if their life depended on it.

The beach is bad. I’m not a beach person so it was not an issue for me, but I can see people being very disappointed. It is tiny. Not wide nor deep. The pools are sufficient, they weren’t really packed even during the Christmas week.

Food is the worst thing about this resort. For an adults only resort, it is quite bad. It is comparable to any a la carte restaurant in a regular Bahia Principe/Riu type resort. I really wonder what other reviewers are comparing the food at this resort to when they say it’s good. Ironically, the worst restaurant in our opinion was La Palapa, the “exclusive” Royal Service one. Service was always incredibly slow and food was cold and bland. The Grill had the best service and Fuego had the best food. I’m not sure why they are still doing the whole reservation thing either. Seems a bit archaic. The better resorts have been using the pager system for years and it seems to work a lot better, especially since, at Paradisus La Perla, your table will not necessarily be ready when you show up at the time of your reservation. What gives?

I know it may seem a bit harsh to give this resort a 3 star rating, but I gave the Royal 4 stars and the Paradisus does not come close to it as the Royal did not come close to the Dreams PV so I have to be consistent. I base my reviews on value, which is why I also gave Bahia Principe Tulum a 4 star rating as it is dirt cheap to stay there and I am a true believer of the “you get what you pay for” philosophy. Well, not here, you don’t.

I will be happy to answer your questions!

Room Tip: The terraces for the ground floor rooms are generally much larger than the balconies on higher floor...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank maryssay
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Dear guest,

We are glad that you decided to write your point of view regarding the Christmas week you spent at Paradisus La Perla. All our guests’ comments are very important for us as you help us to identify the areas we can improve, as well as you highlighted our assets.

It is surprising to know that our LUXEclusive plan did not satisfy your palate, as we offer a wide culinary tour through a lot of international gastronomies. Our chefs at all the restaurants are always willing to spoil our guests by preparing some special dishes even out of the many if necessary.

Your notes about the cleaning service were sent to our housekeeping manager. All the misfortunate inconveniences you stated are definitely not a reflection of the quality we strive every day. Please be sure that corrective actions will be taken to avoid future situations like the ones you have shared with us.

It is sad for us to know that you would not come back to Paradisus. If you decide to give us another opportunity, please let us know in advance and we will do everything in our hands to recover the missing points during your first visit.

Receive warm regards from the beautiful Playa del Carmen.

Quality Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,885)
  • Hebrew first
minneapolis
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We got to the partial ocean view room and first noticed that it was a view of a construction site as well as a very far off view of the ocean. Then noticed that what is a real fish tank in advertisment is a fake plastic picture that is also a light. Also if you are allergic to purfumes like i am you should avoid this resort. The toilet water and the room, lobbies, restaurants...everything is scented.
This resort does have the best food and drinks i have ever had at an all-inclusive, and so was a little dissapointed we had to transfer. They were quite accomodating though nd gave us a full refund.

The hotel has many different cool places to lounge and does not allow you to reserve them so it seems you dont have to get up and claim beach chairs. Also swim up rooms seem to be the way to go... The room did not seem to be moldy at all and the bed and pillows seemed to be down and very comfortable. The beach is mostly washed away...only 15 feet of sand t an angle. The pools are not heated... Though it was cold weather this week (70s). Very modern place with very trendy Clients. I would reccomend this. Place to food and drink oriented people. Not activity people there was no volleyball or any planned activities...but if you want good food, good dinks, and good clubs in playa del carmen (nearby) this is your place.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Chaska, Minnesota, United States
Reviewed January 25, 2013

I've been to a lot of all-inclusive resorts in the Caribbean but they all pale in comparison to Paradisus in Playa del Carmen! The property is split in two: La Perla & La Esmeralda, one for families and one for adults only. This resort opened in 2011, so it's new and well maintained. There is a 7 Michelin Star chef creating menu items satisfying all of your senses. This is true of all the restaurants on the property.... The family side caters to the kids as well with mozzarella sticks & chicken fingers. Premium beverages are included as well, so bring on the Crown Royal. On the Adults side, there are pool side activities like dancers, acrobats, DJ's, water aerobics and if you're like me... you watch the aerobics from the swim-up bar!
Ivan seems to coordinate the pool area and assures you'll have the best experience possible, while Vivi & Mario are quite attentive as well!
I really can't say enough about this property, and the quality of the cuisine! You will love it; I know I'll return ;D

(Rock On Ivan!)

Room Tip: While all the rooms are beautiful suites, choose an odd numbered room to overlook the pools!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear guest,

We value your comments about our properties, La Perla exclusive for adults and La Esmeralda, were everyone are welcome. We can see you paid attention to every element from the resort and we appreciate you took the time to share your opinion about all we have to offer to our guests.

Our LUXEclusive plan in one of our strengths, most of our guests enjoy the wide food and beverages variety and quality offered in the resort accompanied with warm and professional service. Our activities team will receive your kind words regarding their effort to create an amusing atmosphere at the pool.

Thank you for your kind words and because you are completely sure you will come back to our well-appointed Paradise.

Netherlands
Reviewed January 25, 2013

From January 14th 2013 till January 21th 2013 my wife and I stayed at the Paradisus La Perla (Royal Service).

The resort is divided into 3 different parts:
1) La Esmeralda (family/kids).
2) La Perla (adults only).
3) La Perla, Royal Service (adults only).

And what a great resort this is!
They have a great staff, from cleaners to butlers they were all great!
Everybody is just so friendly and helpfull.

You can see that this is a farly new hotel because everything is just so modern decorated and the rooms are up to date.
Our room in the Royal Service part was excellent.
We had a big flatscreen tv, fully loaded minibar, nespresso machine, double bath inside and a jacuzzi outside on the balcony, seperated toilet and bathroom, double shower, and so on...

The buffet was a little small to what we have seen before (Riu palace resorts) but who cares iff you have so many great restaurants to choose from!
Only one morning we had breakfast at the buffetrestaurant all the other meals we ate at a la carte restaurants (even the la palapa restaurant in the Royal Service part had a a la carte breakfast!).

We had diner at differents restaurant, Vento (mediteranian), Fuego (Fusion), Passion (7 course meal) and Bana (the Tepanyaki is great!).

Nothing was to much for the staff and they were so friendly and helpfull.
Although we do not know everyone by name we would still like to thank the following people:
"Our" butler Fernando (who made sure that we were taken care off all the time and helped me by booking a great scubadivingtrip).
David,Emanuel,Jorge,Juan and Alfredo who made us the best cocktails and shots at the Gabibar.
And also the bartenders at the Martini and Tequilabar for making the best special cocktails we have ever drinked!

This was truely a relaxing vacation, everything was done for us.
We just lay on our sunbeds and towels, drinks and meals kept coming at us without even asking!

Thank you for this great experience!
Perhaps we see you next time....

Marco and Sabine.

The Netherlands, Hollanda.

Room Tip: Please choose a room at the Royal Service part off the hotel. It may cost a little more but it is a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr. Marco and Mrs. Sabine,

Thank you very much for your complete and detailed review from your amazing stay at Paradisus La Perla – Royal Service.

We are completely glad to read you felt pampered by most of the staff, especially from your butler Fernando who will be informed about your notes, and we are sure this will motivate him to keep his caring and attentive service.

We also feel satisfied that you enjoyed our unique LUXEclusive plan with a wide variety in food and beverage in all our specialty restaurants and bars, specially at Fuego, Vento, Bana, assorted breakfast bars at Hadar and La Palapa, and delicious martinis at the Mbar.

We would love to have you again as our guest so you can remember everything you experienced with us and be treated again as you deserve.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Great food selection; families with kids are kept in a separate wing; nice rooms with great shower and bath; nice pool; lots of activities; nice beach; good bar. All in all this is a very nice resort.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Chrisco79
Dear guest,

You mentioned aspects that are very important for most of the tourists when deciding to stay in a hotel: food quality and variety, outstanding service, family and adult only separate areas; comfort and paradisiac beach area. We are sure your opinion will help some visitors to decide to stay with us.

We hope you will come back to Paradisus and enjoy again everything we offer to our guests.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Playa del Carmen never dissapoints. We booked on line and we got there to a great surprise. We got a wonderfull suite..but we didn't think it will be so big. 2 bathrooms with 2 full vanities, bathtub, giant closets and living area with dining table. Great service all the way. We were not royal service but we got royal treatment anyways from the reception, concierges to the rest of the staff. The beach is not the biggest but when you are in between beach and pool it doesn't really matter. It is also very closed to Playa downtown which we loved.. only 5 mins. we were there March 2012 and we are thinking on going back.

All the restaurants are great Bana, Passion, and the buffet was always awesome. Even the family part was amazing...It is not the least expensive place to go but for sure you get your money back. We even got a one night free for next stay and that was a nice treat at the end of the trip. I am hooked with Paradisus Hotels now.. Great Hotel to stay.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jesse V
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Trip Advisor, even when you stayed with us a few months ago.

Our LUXEclusive plan in one of our strengths, most of our guests enjoy the wide food and beverages variety offered in the resort accompanied with the warm and professional service, like the one you received at all moments since your check in until your check out.

We value your kind words and please consider staying again at Paradisus La Perla in the near future.

chicago
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I am not a big fan of the "all-inclusive concept" as most of my previous trips to Mexico (Cancun) were to the Le Meridien in Cancun before Starwood sold off. I typically feel the "all inclusive" concept is tantamount to a 24/7 food and alcohol binge (mediocre of both). however, La Perla was a tremendous experience. I was there for four days which I guess any longer they could have wheeled me out of there, so that to me was a perfect timeframe for this type of resort.

Upgraded to the Royal Service which was a reasonable cost which included butler service and the adult area. Louisa was our butler and she (or one of her co-workers) was extremely helpful and charming. The sit down restaurants were first class, the alcohol was top shelf (Grey Goose or Kettle One was call) and the "adult pool" was part of the Royal Service (although I will say I'm Pit Bulled out). (I need to also mention Tony our waiter at the asian /indian fusion restaurant served at a level of a NYC restaurant). I hit the place at a time when they were about 70% full but it seemed to have a much lower occupancy, so I suspect in a full house the Royal Service upgrade will keep anyone from having to wait for service. I didn't wander over to the Paradisus (family) area so not sure how busy that was.

The only downer was the weather as it was overcast most of the weekend. We went into the City two nights and on a four day trip more than enough as it is the typical touristy downtown.

All and all do it again in a heart beat.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank jimmy77Chicago
Dear guest,

We gladly read that our LUXEclusive plan really surpised you and surpassed your expectations due your previous all inclusive experiences. Our Food & beverage Manager requests the best quality products and they are well valued by guests like you.

It is fantastic that you took advantage of the extra amenities and benefits for our Royal Service guests. It is just another way to indulge yourself during your holidays and as you stated, it is worth it.

Now you know what to expect when visiting Paradisus and please consider to stay with us again for your next vacations in the Mexican Caribbean.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#56 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#32 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#39 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla? Share your experiences!