“Delivered on expectations” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“Delivered on expectations”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Just got back from a 6-night stay with my wife at the Paradisus La Perla. We stayed in a luxury junior suite room with royal Service - it was worth it.
To sum it up, the high points:
- the food: no one got sick. I ate fresh fruit, water poured at the table, drinks with ice. Either Mexico in general is a lot safer since I last went or this resort does an excellent job keeping everything safe to consume. A+
- the room: amazing furnishings and layout. Clean, comfy.
- the palapas for lounging. There are always some available to lounge on and near the pool and bar so you can go back and forth all day.
the low points:
- the beach. Very narrow sandy area and very rocky entry into the water. The water is pretty cold for a swim this time of year too, although there is not much the resort could do about that.
- the food. Yes, it was safe to eat but god, it tasted so bland. We are vegetarians, and finding food to satisfy our taste buds was near impossible. Pretty standard given other resorts we have stayed at in the past, we weren't expecting much.
- the muzak that is blasted all day. Yes, a manager responds to each of these reviews and says they will follow up on complaints, bla bla but that muzak is still blasting ALL DAY at the pool. Give it a rest! Same albums looping every day too - at least you can tell what time it is by which song is playing...

Random bullet points:
- smoking is allowed at the resort and in restaurants. It had been so long since I'd had smoke blown on me, this was kind of a surprise.
- lots of towel reservation of chairs going on. You had to be up and reserving something around 7am if you wanted your preferred spot. Management should do something to discourage this. I'm sure the guy who responds to all these reviews will have some response to this.
- the drinks were okay. I'm not picky so I didn't push it, but I was never given any premium alcohol but it was there on the bar.
- We tried pretty much every restaurant. For vegetarians, La Palapa was good for breakfast. Try the NAOS buffet or the ravioli at the Grill for lunch, and the Ibana fusion or mediterranean Vento for dinner. At Ibana, if it is not too busy, they can make you vegetarian Pad Thai with Tofu - yum. I think the goat cheese ravioli at the Grill was the best lunch time option. And then skip into the NAOS for an ice cream cone for dessert.
- The beach was clean and there were lots of chairs for lounging. Not much sand or space though. You can walk quite a ways up and down the beach, and can even access Playa del Carmen after about a 15 minute walk south on the beach.
- The drive into the resort is not impressive. You pass local stuff plus what looks like some sort of army training center (guns!) on the way in. Once you are in the resort you barely know where you are - except for our room was on the 2nd floor and faced the town side and we could see buildings. Not the best view, but if you want ocean you have to pay more and it may not be worth it. We were hardly ever in our room, and except for the ugliness of the buildings, being on the town side didn't have any other minuses.
- Royal Service pluses: private heated pool, more palapas and twin lounging beds to choose from, beds on the beach, and the palapa for breakfast was a nice option. Minuses: the butler was useless (as other reviewers have pointed out countless times. In fact, this is so useless as I would call it false advertising. What are you going to say to the Alan?), the reception welcome was 100% scripted and quite annoying, the checkin felt like a hotel checkin, not a resort welcome.
- Restaurant booking: We ate pretty early every night and although the restaurants claimed to be full when we booked, they were very empty most nights when we were eating. Go figure.
- Restaurant service: very hit or miss. Everyone was very nice but there were some waiters we learnt to avoid. In order to speed up lunch we ate at the NAOS a few times, despite the fact that the food was not so great there. One breakfast I ordered 2 hard boiled eggs that took them 30 minutes to bring out and at the Ibana dessert took 30 minutes to arrive after dinner was done. Odd.
- One big point that I wish someone would have mentioned: the hair conditioner they provide you with SUCKS. It's like water. My hair suffered, I wish I would have brought a backup with me, but I thought I would wing it. If you like/need conditioner, bring your own supply.

3 Thank taknev24

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,780)
  • Hebrew first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Just returned from Paradisus and all I can think of is going back!!!
Amazing beach, perfect rooms, excellent service, tasty food, increadible activities (loved my spinning class) etc etc etc.
Besides all that, I forgot my camera in the taxi that took me to Quinta Avenida and the hotel receptionist helped me finding the taxi driver and he returned my camera. Sweet!!!
Highly recommend!!

• Stayed December 2012
london
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

This is a lovely modern hotel with 8 different restaurants. The food in general was good, with the Japanese restaurant being the best. The standard room is awesome, very good sized, double shower, double bath, cleaned well and well maintained. We had an issue with checkin which took a few hours to resolve but other than that it was a trouble free stay. The beach is lovely, although the water is not that clear directly outside the hotel..but you can walk to clearer waters. The pool area is fun and has a party vibe so i wouldnt say this hotel is that suitable for older couples 45+ as you may want a bit more of a relaxed vibe. All in all a great hotel, the staff are excellent - the guest services staff could have been a little more helpful but all the restaurant, bar and service staff all very nice! Def worth a vist.

Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Paradisus La Perla from December 11th thru December 19th of 2012.
The service, the quality of the food and the all around vibe of this resort is top notch! We booked a junior suite but were upgraded due to some kind of plumbing issue with the unit below us. Since it was our 10th wedding anniversary they did not want to inconvenience us by having workers coming into our room all day so they upgraded us for the rest of our stay. We were given a swim up room and it was beyond amazing! Now, please keep in mind that even if we had stayed in our junior suite for the entire stay my review would have been the same. In my opinion there is no bad room in the resort!!! The upgrade was just a lovely and very considerate gesture on the part of guest service, special thanks to Julia and Francisco.
We ate at every restaurant but Passions. Food is one of those that is truly subjective, if you do not like seafood you may not enjoy 1 of the restaurants that have a seafood heavy menu or if you are not a carnivore you may want to skip The Market which is there rodizo restaurant where meats reign supreme. **My tip is to go by each of the restaurants and check out their menus which are always posted outside the doors.
We only experienced bad service one evening out of 7, at Mole where we had the worst service I have ever experienced while dining out. The waitress spoke almost no English and seemed to have no server experience at all, now this is NOT acceptable for a resort of this caliber at dinner. She should have worked the buffets until she had a better grasp on being a good server and picking up a little more English. When we finally got our entrees my husband like the steak (small portion) so much he asked for another one, the waitress looked at him slightly confused and came back with the Chef. It seems she thought my husband was complaining about the steak so we had to uncomfortably explain to the Chef that it was delicious and my husband was actually asking for a second helping of the steak. It took almost 3 hours to have a 3-course meal in a restaurant that was only 40% full. Other than that horrible and inexcusable experience on our anniversary no less, every other server was beyond reproach, from the staff at the Sunset Grill (outdoor pool area), the bars, buffets to restaurants themselves. I consider our one bad dining experience as nothing more than a fluke in an otherwise stellar 7 days!
I knew the beach would not be wide which is fine but the loungers are really jammed in very close together so you better like your beach neighbors as you are inches from them. The resort cannot help nor should it be held against them that there are rocks and boulders in the water as this is NOT a man made beach. There is however a beautiful spot on the edge of the bay toward your left (see picture!!). That you can lay down a towel and go for a swim in the crystal clear turquoise water!
My last and most important tip is to TIP!!! I know it says that gratuities are included but that does not mean the employs make more. If you receive good service which I can promise you that you will then tip to show your appreciation! Do Not tip housekeeping at the end of your stay bc the women may change daily and will most likely not be the same through out your trip. Just tip a bit everyday, trust me it goes a long way.
We did not do any excursions as this was our 4th time to the area and honestly, we did not want to leave the resort for long. We did take a cab to Playa del Carmen's shopping zone which is $10 US each way, the cabs are now regulated.
We always book Cancun Shuttle for private transpo bc taking the reg shuttle can waste up to an extra 1-1/2 hr dropping others off at their resorts before you. Pay the extra $40 round trip and travel quickly to your resort, well worth the money!
If you have any questions that my really long review did not cover feel free to ask away!

Room Tip: We were upgraded to a swim up suite and I must say it was 100% worth it. Will book next time! The i...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, December 26, 2012
Dear guest,

We appreciate the time to write your detailed review regarding your recent stay at Paradisus La Perla.

As you stated, some themes could be subjective depending the individual appreciation. That is why all our guests’ suggestions are sent to the involved managers in order to evaluate if that suggestion is constant and of course take corrective actions and improve the service provided.

Thank you very much for highlighting all the elements that you enjoyed the most during your stay, like the your suite´s comfort, succulent delicacies at our high quality restaurants, attentive service in most of the areas and the modern elegant mood at the property.

Please accept our apology for the inconvenience at Mole restaurant. We have sent your notes to the manager to guide the waitress and practice or even take English lessons to avoid future comments like yours.

We would feel fortunate if you decide to stay with us for your upcoming Caribbean vacations.

Colorado Springs
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Luis was always so friendy and helpful in serving us. Very pleasant and responsive making our stay even more enjoyable. He offered us drinks or food before we even searched him out. He made going to the beach and additional treat.

Dear guest,

Please be sure that we will transfer your kind words to Luis, who definitely provided you an excellent service, making your beach experience more enjoyable.

Thank you for your notes and we will be happy to host you again in Paradisus La Perla.

Memphis, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

My wife, her sister, her boyfriend, and I stayed for five nights (we left for home on Dec. 24th to give you an idea of the season) at the Royal Service (includes all of the things the other two parts of the hotel has, as well as an exclusive pool, restaurant, and beach area). It was great. No, phenomenal! The service was ridiculously good; some of the best I have ever seen. The food was awesome (beware, however, of the room service...it was the only thing truly terrible - cold grill cheese, tasteless steak, etc.). In particular, Juan (the bartender at the Royal Service pool bar), Manuel (the Royal Service pool attendant), Eduardo (our butler...yes, Royal Service gets a butler), and Renau (the head waiter at La Palapa, the Royal Service restaurant) were awesome. Renau knew what I wanted by the second day, and I just had to sit down. Juan made great drinks, and treated my wife very, very well. They all knew our names shortly, and made an effort to talk to us no matter the time of day. We were also able to get a taxi service to Lahabna (where you get to zipline, snorkel in a cave, and swim in cenotes) and Tulum (Mayan ruins) that cost about 1600 pesos, or $160. The guy stuck with us the whole day, was really nice, and charged us virtually nothing for 8 hours. Seriously, it was heaven. The weather was great, and the beach and pool beds sweet. But the service sets it apart.

Room Tip: All the rooms look good. I would recommend asking for a room that is not near the elevator...we didn...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

We can hardly describe how it feels like to read we have surpassed your expectations during your stay at Paradisus La Perla – Royal Service.

We also value you remember the name of our partners that made your stay more enjoyable! Please be sure we will transfer to all of them your recognition to their outstanding work, and we trust your words will remind them to keep the attentiveness and kindness in their service that our dear guests like you value and treasure as a significant part of your whole experience.
We are pleased to know you enjoyed our unique LUXEclusive plan and our unique facilities.

Again, thank you for your recommendation to future visitors, and we will be waiting for your return to the Riviera Maya!

Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

My mom and I stayed a week,its an incredible place, the service was amazing, the food was the best ever... the staff is unbelievable, very kind, very professional, polite, friendly, fun...There are many restaurants with foods from all over the world, our favorite one for dinner was La Palapa with a superb attention from Daniel the restaurant manager and for breakfast and lunch the restaurant Hadar with the best service from the manager Patricia Mendez, captain Gilberto Rodriguez, the waiters: Ivan Delgado, Darwin, Enrique, a spanish guy called Rafael and the Cheffs...At the Gabi bar: the best bartender ever and great person Victor Manuel Castillo. At the beach staff: Marisol, Carlos Calderon, Luis and Cesar Rodriguez and at the pool of la perla at the snack restaurant a great Chef Rogelio. Many thanks to all of you for making this one of our best trips ever and for all your great effort who served us and also to the hotel managers Mr. Caballero, Mr. Gonzalez Mata and the person in charge of the bellboys Mr. Martin and Jalil.

Room Tip: One bedroom suite with Ocean view on 3rd floor is a quiet and great spot.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

Wow! You remember all the names from all our staff members who interacted with you, from bell boys, waiters, bartenders, to rooms division and front desk managers. Thank you very much for letting us know that you were impressed by the service provided by all of them, and of course we will let them know about your recognition to their attentive and caring service.

As you were able to experience, we have a strong commitment to surpass our guests´ expectations and we will keep the hard work, so the next time you honor us with your visit, you will have another unforgettable experience from Paradise.