“The Best Vacation...EVER!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Victoria, Canada
“The Best Vacation...EVER!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

First a little background. We are a two male couple from BC, Canada. This is my fifth all-inclusive experience and probably my partners 100th.

The Paradisus La Perla is without a doubt the best either one of us has ever been to.

The Food...
Room Service - Every morning and most days for a snack. Simply outstanding. On time, hot, fresh and delivered with impecable service.
The Market, Grill, La Palapa and Bana - All amazing at what they do. Both food quality and service. Our favorite was The Market...the Chicken Parmesean is not to be missed. Ask to sit outside under the stars.
Also, the buffet is good for lunch, but the Grill and Market are way better.
We did eat at Mole, but it was a little authentic for our tastes.
We suggest making your reservations early in the week for at least three days out, but we were never denied the restaurant we wanted.
Lastly, if you are a drinker, this resort only uses top shelf quality spirits and almost anything you want is available on request. I'm a Stoli drinker and it was never an issue.

The Hotel Room...
One Bedroom Master Suite on the top floor - words can't describe the room. We truly enjoyed having all the space. The patio alone could serve as a hotel room...if you have a room with the hottub on the balcony...USE IT!!!
The room was spotless every day and the turn-down service was excellent. There is something special about the dual head rain shower.

The Service...
We never waited for anything and never had so much as a sideways glance from any of the staff. Everyone was polite, professional and most of all, really seemed to enjoy their job. The people make this resort. A few people who stand out are Daffny at the front desk, Valentina at the morning buffet, Luis on the La Perla side of the beach and Marisol, also on the beach.

The place to be...
If you want to party, the La Perla pool on Saturday was amazing. If you want quiet, any where on the beach. We had a great routine of getting up in the morning and placing our towels on the chairs we wanted. This is typical of most resorts.

Final Word...we are already planning to go back next year. We aren't sure why anyone would go someplace else.

Cheers

Room Tip: One Bedroom Master Suite, North Side, Top floor.
5 Thank TJTailwind
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing with us your Paradisus La Perla experience.

It is good to know your overall experience was fantastic while you enjoyed the facilities, entertainment, comfort and equipment in your suite, delicacies at our variety of restaurants, top shelf drinks at our bars and of course a tranquil beach to relax to have an enviable tan.

We appreciate your recommendation to future visitors to stay at Paradisus, everyone finds what they are looking for in the property: fun, relaxation, great ambiance, outstanding service, and so on.

We will be waiting for your return next year to pamper you again in the way both of you deserve.

alan.becerril@melia.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,776)
  • Hebrew first
Bakersfield, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

We just attended a wedding here at La Perla and spent 4 nights at this resort. It's overall a beautiful hotel. The food is pretty good for an all inclusive. The buffet breakfast was always something we looked forward to. We ate lunch by the pool all day and that was also very tasty. For dinner, we ate the teppan one night which was awesome. The only thing that was missing was the ginger sauce they often give at the teppan restaurants. We also ate at the Mediterrenan restaurant one night. That was a bit of a disappointment to me. I don't even remember what I got which means it was just ok. I remember the portions being small.
However, for what is was, the food is pretty good. Not the best all inclusive food but good. The drinks, I feel like they must water down their alcohol because of the fact its all inclusive because we drank a good amount but we were never drunk or hungover. Guess I should thank them for that but I rarely tasted the alcohol in any drink I ordered while there. The best drink I would say was a sake martini type drink at the teppan restuarant bar. But they were only open for dinner.

The location is strange. It looks like a big compound when you pull up but when you enter, its beautiful. The neighboring homes look very poor and run down so this massive luxury resort sits amongst it all. It's strange and sad but its similar in jamaica and the bahamas from what i've seen.

The resort has a great spa (didn't get a service) but checked out the steam room and the pool/hot tub. The hot tubs could be hotter and bigger but I think it must cost a lot to heat things in Mexico or not heat as hot as in the States because we experience lukewarm spas in Mexico at other hotels too. The resort seems huge at first but it's actually a great size. You can easily get to dinner and yet your room isn't too far away. The pools, the sitting areas, the grounds, etc. are all beautifully maintained. We loved the pool and the beach area was nice as well. The beach is rocky so you have to becareful but it was nice and clean unlike the beach area near 5th ave.

The only things I experienced that weren't great was the room. The room looks great when you walk in. It's beautiful. However, the walls are really thin. We hear EVERY single cart being pushed by, every door shutting and opening, we even heard the guy in the room next to us come back at 3am one night and puke his brains out. It woke even my husband up and he's a deep sleeper. It was so loud that I thought for a second it was my husband who was puking cuz it sounded like it was coming from our room but it wasn't.
Also, the tub is very large and inviting but it takes about an hour to fill it. If you have time to wait for it to fill, it is nice.

The concierge is also not perfect at this resort. Upon check in, I knew we should make reservations for dinner. When I asked the concierge lady which she recommended, she would not tell me. She responded as if I had asked her which of her children she loved more. It was so strange that she couldn't give me any recommendations or even tell us which was most popular with guests. Geez. We settled on the Japanese Teppan (we had had so much mexican food at that point) which was great but the mediterranean one which I selected, I didn't love. Also, when I would call to ask them simple questions, it took them forever to return calls, etc. If I had to book any excersions through them, I think I would have been very annoyed.

However, our friends wedding there was absolutely beautiful and the coordinator seemed to be great fom what I saw. Everything was flawless and the guests all enjoyed ourselves. It was such a beautiful site and we were very happy to be there.

Overall, we would go and stay at this hotel again. Even though we thought this was expensive when we booked it, it ended up being cheaper at the end vs. the hotel we stayed at for a few nights on 5th ave. that was more modest but with food and drink costs, La Perla ended up being cheaper. I would suggest though that you do a few days at a hotel near 5th to get that experience and then a few days here to get the relaxing experience. If you just went to Playa for the first time and just stayed here, you wouldn't even know you were in Mexico except the few times someone would say hello to you in Spanish.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write down your experience at Paradisus La Perla.

Your notes are valuable for us; we have sent them to the Food and beverage department as well as the concierge manager, in order to reinforce the information provided to out guests and of course to check the standards at the different bars, as the quality we strive every day should be maintained at every moment.

We are pleased to read your friends´ wedding was a success with the hard and attentive work performed by our Romance coordinators. Without a doubt it was a special occasion for all the attendees and what a better way to enjoy it than with a beautiful Caribbean ocean as background.

It is important for us to know you would consider staying again at Paradisus La Perla for your next vacations in Playa del Carmen; we will be waiting for your prompt return.

Greensburg, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

What a tremendous resort, service and atmoshpere we enjoyed while staying here from November 19-25. We had impeccable service at HADAR from our hostess, Adrian and waiter, Ivan, Mel at the Hydro Bar, Xavier from the Sunset Grill, Alma at YHI Spa, and Juaro from OlympusTour. Our room was incredible. The Saturday Pool Party was awesome. The only negative thing is the pool water was so cold..... Our overall experience was above anything I could have ever expected!!

Dear guest,

We are pleased to read that your overall experience at Paradisus La Perla was completely satisfactory and you had the opportunity to enjoy our facilities, unique atmosphere and attentiveness of our staff. All of them will be informed about your review in order to motivate them to continue with their warm service and service quality.

We will be waiting for your prompt return for your next Caribbean vacations.

Vernon, Connecticut, USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

My wife and I went here on our honeymoon in April 2012 and had an absolutely great time. We have stayed at the all-inclusive Valentin Imperial previously. That place was good for the price but Paradisus is the cat's meow.

Room:The grounds and buildings are spectacular and very modern. It looked ever more beautiful at night with the sultry lighting. We stayed in a Royal Service Junior Suite. The Royal Service building was very nice with its own lobby where you could grab cold drinks and snacks at any time during the day. So if you were out of booze in your room you could stock up or just grab a drink for the road while you were walking to dinner. The room was beautiful. It had a shower with two shower heads, a large jacuzzi tub in the bathroom and a large jacuzzi tub on the balcony. Our view from the fourth floor was spectacular...we could see everything going on in the pool area to our left and to the right we had a beautiful ocean view. Karen was our Royal Service "butler" and she was absolutely fantastic. She would make dinner reservations for us and she knew it was our honeymoon so most nights when we got back to the room there was something waiting there for us. One night our tub on the balcony was drawn and filled with rose petals with champagne and strawberries waiting for us. Another night they lit candles all around the drawn jacuzzi in our bathroom. Very nice touches.

Food: The food was great. I'm not a food snob like a lot of reviewers so it doesn't take much to please me but I loved just about everything. Royal Service has it's own restaurant La Palapa. It was a good place to go for a delicious plated breakfast (the only food that bored us was the general breakfast buffet). The Market was a great place to have a nice quiet lunch. It had a salad bar and you could order things off of a menu like steak, chicken or ribs. Our favorite dinner restaurant was the Mediterranean restaurant "Vento". We don't usually eat this kind of food but we went there twice just for the tomato soup appetizer. We also had dinner at the hibachi restaurant, Mole (mexican) and La Palapa and they were all great. All of the restaurants have bars outside of them so you can head over a little early to enjoy drinks. There was one bartender at the martini bar named Daniel (pronounced dan-e-el) who was so passionate about martinis and made us delicious martinis we had never heard of. Try the cucumber martini if he's still working there. We had room service a couple random times and the food was plentiful and delicious.

Recreation: The pool was nice. Lots of places to lay both in the water and around the pool. There were covered cabanas you could "reserve" by getting out there early. We would put our towels and bag down and go to breakfast. It was pretty hot so the shade was nice. We just walked on the beach a couple times. It is narrow but it is very long. We didn't go swimming in the ocean from the beach but we did go scuba diving one day and it was so much fun. The scuba/snorkel shop is right by the pool. My wife had never been and she was scared at first but our instructor gave us lessons in the pool and then we went out for an hour. The water is clear blue and we saw lots of sea creatures. We also went to some of the scheduled resort events like tequila tasting (we actually learned a lot about tequila), sushi-making class (i made excellent sushi, everyone agreed), wine tasting, and salsa dancing classes. The salsa dancing was directly after the tequila tasting so that was a lot of fun. There was also a gym at this place that I imagine the gyms of the future would look like. We went to a Michael Jackson show one night. It was very entertaining but get there early because kids can go to so it can get crowded. There is a BEAUTIFUL golf course that you pass on the way in. The course sent a cart to our resort to pick us up (the course and resort are not affiliated) I played at 6:45am and they let my wife ride around with me. I played 18 holes in about 2 hours and we were back in time to enjoy the day. The course is fairly new and its the best course I've ever played and they have brand new Ping rental clubs. The cart girl with beer was also going around at 7:30 am which was a welcome surprise. Karen the "butler" arranged the tee time. If you play golf you must convince your spouse to let you play there.

This place is awesome. You definitely get what you pay for. The resort is beautiful, the food and drinks were delicious, the activities were fun and the people who work there were great.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank David N
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, November 28, 2012
Dear guest,

We appreciate your full description of our facilities including rooms, restaurants, bars, pool area and beach. For us, it means you really where impressed about them and you felt it was necessary to share it with us and future Paradisus visitors. We are sure they will take your suggestions in consideration to enjoy their vacations as much as you did.

Thank you for your comment regarding the activities and shows in general, your notes were transferred to the area manager to encourage his team to continue with their effort and dedication to entertain our guests while they learn something new or just observe while having a nice drink.

The same way, Karen from Royal Service will be notified about your recognition to her attentive job and her effort to make your honeymoon an unforgettable one.

Please honor us again with your presence in the near future.

Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Is there paradise yes and you'll find it at the Paradisus Playa Del Carmen...La Perla Royal Service
the Butler Service Karen Tamer is just beyond imagination. She went above and beyond to make sure we had restaurant reservations, and do site seeing. The Royal Service is the way to go on this hotel. Restaurants our favorites Mole and Palapa.. food is excellent.. and if you don't like the menu the Chef offers to prepare a plate for you.
Go and check it out!! Is a Gem

Room Tip: Jr Suite is the way to go.. Ocean Front.. we had semi front
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Cary C
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience from your stay at Paradisus La Perla – Royal Service.

We are glad to know you enjoyed the extra amenities, areas and services provided to our Royal Service guests, implying the little additional cost is worth it.

We are proud to have employees like Karen, who pamper our guests at the Royal Service area and now you remind her for their special attention to details to get your entire satisfaction. She will be informed about your recognition to her outstanding work.

We hope to host you for your next trip to Mexico at Paradisus La Perla and thank you for your recommendation.

Ambler, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this property Nov 12 - 17 to celebrate our anniversary. I'll start with our ONLY complaint about our stay. The service in every restaurant we experienced was incredibly slow and often times inept. At breakfast at Hadar we always had to wait to be served drinks, and rarely received a refill without asking for it. In Bana we waited in excess of twenty minutes for two glasses of wine, and when they were served, it was the wrong order. We had many other experiences like that in various restaurants (including La Palapa). Aside from the restaurant service, however, everything was spectacular.

Food and drinks were first rate. I never expected that quality of food from an all inclusive resort. They have pretty much any top shelf liquor you want (you just have to ask), and the most interesting food choices. I loved the fact that they also have 24 hour room service. Additionally, they tailor your minibar to your likes/wants, even bringing us a bottle of vodka (Absolute) for the room (this may only be Royal Service, I'm not sure).

Royal Service definitely was our favorite part of the resort. The RS pool was so tranquil and we loved the bali beds there. Our pool concierge would set it up every day when we arrived, and the one day we were a little late getting to the pool, they called us to let us know they had set up a bed for us! Karen, our butler, was AMAZING. Not only was she on top of our dinner reservations before we asked and offering her assistance at every turn, but she was proactive. One particular act impressed my husband and I to no end. On our anniversary, Karen and the executive chef brought us a treat to the bali bed while we were at the pool. It was a fruit parfait on a platter that said "Happy Anniversary". However, they stated that they knew my husband could not have sugar, so they prepared fruit instead of a cake. Both of us were stunned because neither of us had mentioned to anyone that my husband is diabetic. Later, my husband asked Karen how she knew, and she said it was because she saw his insulin in the refrigerator as she was replenishing the minibar. That is top rate service!! They also decorated our room with rose petals that night, fixed a bath for us and sent us champagne and strawberries.

We had a swim-up room, which we were leery of at first, but ended up loving. The jacuzzi on the patio was fantastic, and I loved having a sun bed right on the patio. The bed was so comfortable, and the bathroom was stunning. The only complaint we had, as I read in other reviews, is that the vanity area is very cramped with very little counter space. Otherwise, the room is superb. Also, please note that there is not a real fish tank in the junior suites.

The location is pretty good, located within ten minutes of the busy part of Fifth Avenue. However, as you are arriving (especially en route to the Royal Service lobby) you notice that the property is right next to a shady colonia. However, the resort itself is safe and gorgeous.

Overall, we had an amazing stay at this property. I would highly recommend it to anyone, and would especially suggest upgrading to Royal Service. It is totally worth it!

Overall we had an amazing stay

Room Tip: Royal service is the way to go!
2 Thank rbk1109
Quality Manager B, Gerente at Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for posting your review after your stay at Paradisus La Perla – Royal Service. We appreciate you decided to celebrate with us your wedding anniversary.

We are pleased to read you had an overall great experience while you enjoyed all the facilities and services offered at our LUXEclusive plan and that you found some delicacies at our restaurants that fitted your taste.

As you experienced, Paradisus La Perla – Royal Service has a tranquil and relaxing atmosphere ideal for us to pamper you and spoil you a little bit with the service and provide you with everything you may desire to have an amazing vacation at the Mexican Caribbean.

We are sure that attention to details is what highlighted your experience completely. Karen did a fantastic job setting a surprise that your husband could enjoy as well. She is a great asset to our company and we will transmit your notes to her to motivate her to continue with her caring touch to our customers.

We appreciate your recommendation to your friends and family to stay at Paradisus in order to get an unforgettable experience.

Kelowna, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 23, 2012

We recently enjoyed 7 days of totally relaxing pleasure at this resort. From check-in to check-out the service was excellent. The employees were all wonderful and personable. The cuisine was outstanding. We dined in 7 of the 10 a la carte restaurants and each was a unique culinary experience. While all employees were great, I would like to extend a special thanks to Diego and Luis in concierge, Henon in room service, Jonathan in the Martini Bar, Diego in La Palapa, and Freddy & Tito in the Marketplace. They helped to make our experience one that we will not soon forget. Our room was very well appointed and comfortable. The pools and the beach are all well maintained. My only suggestion for improvement would be the venue for entertainment, the North Avenue Bar. The seating is not adequate for those wanting to enjoy the evening shows. But given this is a relatively new resort I have no doubt that they have plans for something more suitable. Thank you for making our vacation so special. We will be back.

1 Thank Mountainguy56
Dear guest,

We want to thank you for sharing with other tourists and with us your experience at Paradisus La Perla.

We strongly believe our employees are our biggest strength to provide the service all our guests deserve, that is why your recognition to Diego, Luis, Henon, Jonathan, Diego, freddy and Tito has been sent to their supervisors in order to encourage them to continue providing an outstanding service.

We definitely would feel honored if you decide to come back to Paradisus for you upcoming vacations.