Although the property was very clean, some of the service was seriously lacking. We had inquired about the accommodations having a "pull out" couch as we were traveling with 3 people, even called the resort with the question and we were told it was a sleeper sofa. Not true.When we checked in we were told they "upgraded" us to a better suite with 2 double beds instead of the king sized bed since they "noticed" we were traveling with 3 people. They did not ask us, just did it; which may have been a better room, but we just don't know that since we weren't given a choice.Our travel agent told us we were entitled to four bottles of premium liquor with our package. When we requested it we were turned down saying they upgraded us to a different room, therefore we didn't get the liquor. VERY FRUSTRATING! We had "My Time" bracelets, when we asked what that entitled us to we were told is was an upgrade. We still don't know what Upgrades we received for it. That being said, everything in the room was geared towards 2 people, not 3 even though they acknowledged that there were 3 of us. Two chairs, two robes, two pairs of slippers, two coffee mugs/ glasses etc. 2 pieces of chocolate during turn down service; same with the minibar amenities. The time share pressure was ridiculous as well. We were told it would take 90 minutes including breakfast. Turned out to be 3 hours with a lot of pressure. Not happy about that. Also, Luis promised 2 candy baskets and one bottle of Tequila for attending the presentation. We received the candy when we arrived for the tour, but not the tequila. It took an additional 2 phone calls. Luis said he would bring the bottle when he got off work (which didn't happen) then running into him the next day and having him say "I was just looking for you guys!", to receive it.The other really annoying issue was when we checked in and Luis gave us a sheet of paper listing the restaurants and their schedules.We were told we had to call any restaurant we wanted to eat in for reservations before 5:00 daily. Apparently that paper was outdated because it showed several restaurants being closed on certain days and yet when we went by them, they were open. When we went into one to inquire why they were open, they were dumbfounded saying they were open and didn't know why we would receive a paper stating anything different. The hostess at Fuego asked us to bring the paper to show her which we did when we arrived for dinner. She asked to keep the paper, but I declined giving it to her because it was the only information we were given for the restaurants.We missed several restaurants because of that outdated paper we were given.
The book in the room was in Spanish only. When we asked for an English copy we were told they had trouble with the printing company but would see what they could do. The day before we left, someone inserted English pages into the front of the book. The information in that book explained all about the resort which would have been most helpful at the BEGINNING of our stay. That's when we found out we had Fernando as our concierge and he had made reservations for us in restaurants three days earlier (we had already made all our own restaurant reservations). The paper listing the restaurants we were given at the end of our stay was accurate and showed the correct schedules for the restaurants and who our concierge was but by then, it was too late.
That being said, the restaurant Mole was an amazing place to dine and Fernando Gonzalez was fantastic. We went there 3 times. Had we gone earlier in the trip, we may never have gone anywhere else. He was truly a gentleman providing excellent service.
In the breakfast department, Jeronimo Savoyoz at Hadar, was also excellent. He remembered our names,the fact that we wanted our coffee con leche after we ate and that we liked orange juice and water. It was just a lovely way to start our day. The sushi bar was excellent as well. Pool side service with Manuel was a privilege and pleasure.
We love the beach, yet didn't even go in the water. The beach was super short and the entrance to the water, rocky. That was a disappointment beyond all.
The shows at night were better than nothing, but really, you need a larger venue. Between the children and smoking, they were not as enjoyable as they could have been. Another person posted a comment about the large theater there; it should be used for just such shows. We could not even see the Michael Jackson show, which is supposed to be the best one because it was so crowded in such a small space. The indoor restaurants were smoke free which was wonderful, unfortunately there were no nonsmoking areas in any of the outside areas. A non smoking area should be available around the pool and at different locations outside to accommodate those who don't smoke.
I wish we had a better experience, we accepted the good with the bad, but truly wish there was nothing negative to report.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla is a hotel catering to the discerning all-inclusive traveler. With 58 swim-up suites, opulent furnishings, and international cuisine prepared by award-winning chefs, this adults-only hotel is a crowd pleaser. Rooms feature special touches like deep soaker tubs and rainfall showers. Marble floors, flat-screen TVs, Minibar, in-room safe, free Wi-Fi, coffee maker, bathrobes and slippers, cable TV service and a DVD/CD player compliment the trendy interior design. Stay active with water sports like aqua aerobics, yoga, zumba and volleyball, or visit the spacious fitness facility. The Spa offers a wet and dry sauna($). Try a different menu every night with 14 restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla Riviera Maya, Mexico