My wife and I are from the UK and stayed in the Royal Service ocean view suite ( room 1298) at La Perla. We had upgrade to Ocean view prior to departure. The room was exactly as per the web & youtube, and the view of the Ocean from this room was great. It also overlooks the Royal service Pool.
As a Brit, we are not used to tipping unless we get exeptional service, then only restaurants Spa staff hairdressers and the like. We normally work on a percentage basis, so found it difficult to know what to do at an all inclusive resort. We were given different advice from different people. I did notice that the more often you tipped the better service you seem to get, though I guess that is natural. So if you tip one dollar each time you got served food at the pool, you get better service that if you tip say ten dollars at the beginning of the week, then not tip each day.
Unfortunately they hadn't got the Royal service Butler service quite right, with a great variety of standards of the Butlers, and seemed pot luck as to which one you got. They varied from never seeing or hearing from them, to Edwin who we stole during our second week, who made a point of finding us around the pool, or contacting us in our room or via the mobile telephone which they provided for us, each day to book our restaraunt, check our mini bar etc. If the Management read this review, then my suggestion is that all Butlers be trained to the same standard. If it were my business, I would certainly consider promoting Edwin to head Butler and have him train and supervise the others, as he made a great difference to our experience at the hotel. One thing I found particularly annoying was when the room was cleaned each day, whoever cleaned it insisted on putting my wifes toiletries and my toiletries together on one side if the sink, each day we sorted out our toothbrushes ( electric and almost identical) toothpastes, soaps we also use small probes in place of floss, which were identical, and they were mixed up by the cleaners and left together on one side. Most annoying.
The food in all the Restaurants on site were very good, with a great choice. The Buffet like most Buffets deteriorates the later in the evening you visit, though the choice there is quite good. To be honest we only ate there once, as the choice of restaurant allows you to eat elsewhere on site. However, the hotel seemed very quiet during our stay with approximately 30% occupancy. I am not sure it would be so easy to book restaurant seats if the hotel was full. We stayed in the Adult only part of the complex, though children still were allowed to eat in one of the Restaurants 'Bana' up until 8.00pm. 'Mole' and 'Passion' were particularly good retaurants, though I am told there is a supplement to pay at Passion. We got to eat there three times without extra charge as part of our package as we were staying in Royal service for two weeks. The entertainment was not bad in the evenings in Gabby club, with some versitile dancers, who turned up in various places such as the South bar, and around the main La Perla pool to entertain and get guests up and dancing. The DJ around the pool during occasional afternoons was great entertainment also.
Overall this was a great place to stay with friendly staff and reasonable service which would have been better if the Royal service butlers had all of been of the same standard. There was enough variety of food to keep both my wife who is a real foody, and me who likes my food plain and with minimum spices happy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla is a hotel catering to the discerning all-inclusive traveler. With 58 swim-up suites, opulent furnishings, and international cuisine prepared by award-winning chefs, this adults-only hotel is a crowd pleaser. Rooms feature special touches like deep soaker tubs and rainfall showers. Marble floors, flat-screen TVs, Minibar, in-room safe, free Wi-Fi, coffee maker, bathrobes and slippers, cable TV service and a DVD/CD player compliment the trendy interior design. Stay active with water sports like aqua aerobics, yoga, zumba and volleyball, or visit the spacious fitness facility. The Spa offers a wet and dry sauna($). Try a different menu every night with 14 restaurants. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Priceline, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Perla Riviera Maya, Mexico