“Period of stay, 10/01/12 to 24/01/12”

Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla
Ranked #23 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Redruth, United Kingdom
“Period of stay, 10/01/12 to 24/01/12”
Reviewed February 5, 2012

My wife and I are from the UK and stayed in the Royal Service ocean view suite ( room 1298) at La Perla. We had upgrade to Ocean view prior to departure. The room was exactly as per the web & youtube, and the view of the Ocean from this room was great. It also overlooks the Royal service Pool.
As a Brit, we are not used to tipping unless we get exeptional service, then only restaurants Spa staff hairdressers and the like. We normally work on a percentage basis, so found it difficult to know what to do at an all inclusive resort. We were given different advice from different people. I did notice that the more often you tipped the better service you seem to get, though I guess that is natural. So if you tip one dollar each time you got served food at the pool, you get better service that if you tip say ten dollars at the beginning of the week, then not tip each day.
Unfortunately they hadn't got the Royal service Butler service quite right, with a great variety of standards of the Butlers, and seemed pot luck as to which one you got. They varied from never seeing or hearing from them, to Edwin who we stole during our second week, who made a point of finding us around the pool, or contacting us in our room or via the mobile telephone which they provided for us, each day to book our restaraunt, check our mini bar etc. If the Management read this review, then my suggestion is that all Butlers be trained to the same standard. If it were my business, I would certainly consider promoting Edwin to head Butler and have him train and supervise the others, as he made a great difference to our experience at the hotel. One thing I found particularly annoying was when the room was cleaned each day, whoever cleaned it insisted on putting my wifes toiletries and my toiletries together on one side if the sink, each day we sorted out our toothbrushes ( electric and almost identical) toothpastes, soaps we also use small probes in place of floss, which were identical, and they were mixed up by the cleaners and left together on one side. Most annoying.
The food in all the Restaurants on site were very good, with a great choice. The Buffet like most Buffets deteriorates the later in the evening you visit, though the choice there is quite good. To be honest we only ate there once, as the choice of restaurant allows you to eat elsewhere on site. However, the hotel seemed very quiet during our stay with approximately 30% occupancy. I am not sure it would be so easy to book restaurant seats if the hotel was full. We stayed in the Adult only part of the complex, though children still were allowed to eat in one of the Restaurants 'Bana' up until 8.00pm. 'Mole' and 'Passion' were particularly good retaurants, though I am told there is a supplement to pay at Passion. We got to eat there three times without extra charge as part of our package as we were staying in Royal service for two weeks. The entertainment was not bad in the evenings in Gabby club, with some versitile dancers, who turned up in various places such as the South bar, and around the main La Perla pool to entertain and get guests up and dancing. The DJ around the pool during occasional afternoons was great entertainment also.
Overall this was a great place to stay with friendly staff and reasonable service which would have been better if the Royal service butlers had all of been of the same standard. There was enough variety of food to keep both my wife who is a real foody, and me who likes my food plain and with minimum spices happy.

Room Tip: Swim up rooms in Royal service have no steps to get to the bar, or to get into the main pool, though...
2 Thank Mac M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,885)
  • Hebrew first
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We spent seven wonderful days being pampered by a tremendous staff. We were treated to a beautiful ocean view from room #1398 which is on the top floor on the end of the Royal Service area. We slept several nights with the balcony door open falling asleep and waking up the sound of waves. We did not experience any bugs at all. We loved the location as it is not in the busy beach areas like it is once you get closer to town. We walked into town a couple days on the beach which was very enjoyable and is not a long walk at all. When you head to the North on the beach you get to enjoy a beautiful walk on a much lower populated area without a bunch of resorts. We enjoyed all of the restaurants that we dined at. All of them provided excellent service along with great food. One caution I would make is if you have any allergies be careful. My wife is allergic to pineapple and shrimp and I am allergic to almonds. We had a couple allergic reactions while there. Make sure to tell your servers and they will assist you in avoiding whatever you are allergic to. While we were there the water temperature in the pool was great. Since we were in Royal Service we spent most of our pool time in that pool area. Royal Service pool area is quieter. The other pool area has the activities taking place at so louder music and activity going on. My wife is 39 years old and I am 52.

8 Thank BBEL37
chicago, IL
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Just returned from a week at La Perla and we were blown away. We've stayed at many all inclusives in the area, and none compare to La Perla. Here are some specifics, feel free to private message me with any questions.

Food - Always one of my most important considerations, it was, for the most part five star restaurant quality. How many AIs serve amuse bouches at dinner?
Passion - We were going to pass this by, since there is a $40 per person surcharge unless you're staying in the royal section. Upon checkin, the time share promoters offered us free dinner there for sitting through a 1.5 hour presentation. We decided it was worth it and we were blown away by the tasting menu, quality, preparation, service etc. I've eaten in many five star restaurants, and this was right up there. I ate things I would never have considered ordering, and each one was amazing.
La Palapa - Ordinarily only open for royals, but since the census was so low, the regular folk were allowed for dinner. We ate there three times, ordering different dishes each time and loved all of it. This restaurant is completely outdoors, (thatch roofed) and the atmosphere was wonderful. Favorites-scallop appetizer, risotto, seabass, chocolate ingot
Fuego-latin fusion- ask to sit outisde on the terrace - we had it entirely to ourselves the night we were there. The specialty is cevices, several kinds, they were all wonderful. Had a fabulous veal chop, and wonderful halibut dish as well as an excellent coconut creme brulee.
Bana-asian- Did the teppanyaki thing, which also included an extensive array of sushi for appetizers. Would have liked to go back just for the sushi.
Mole-despite the wonderful made at the table guacamole, our least favorite dinner spot. Firstly because it's on the "family" side of the resort, and even at 8pm, there were screaming children running around, and secondly because everything was just a little too spicy for us, despite the fact that we asked the waiter about spice levels and he assured us that "nothing was spicy." For our palates, it was.
The Grill- ate here for lunches. Great salad bar, the rest of the meal is served. Grilled grouper, chicken and steak were all excellent. Pasta al pesto ditto. Would not eat here for dinner, too many more interesting options, but perfect if all you want for lunch is a big salad and maybe something grilled? Ask for chimichuri sauce for whatever you get grilled.

Drinks-Not a priority with us, but everything we had was excellent. I had wine with dinners, my husband had a martini at the martini bar, a mohito elsewhere, enjoyed them all.

Rooms-Loved our ocean view room. We looked over the pool area to the ocean, we could see it but definitely wasn't up close and personal. Didn't care, was a nice view and the room was wonderful. Large, well lit in many different ways, two big closets, lots of drawers, area with a comfy sofa and chairs, great bathroom with double sized walk in shower. Lovely balcony.

Pools-Beautifully designed, but not heated. Too cold for me, husband thought it was great for swimming, not so much for standing around in. Not used much by anyone while we were there. No hot tubs was a disappointment. Lots of ways to stay in the shade, not only umbrellas, but small palapas, like giant beds with thatched roofs which were perfect for me.

Beach-Not great. We usually spend far more time at the beach than the pool but not here. Best beach was actually on the "family" side of the resort. When we wanted to go in the ocean we had to go there. That being said, access to the water was easy and the water was warm and clean.

Service-Couldn't have been better. Everybody went above and beyond expectations. One night at Fuego they were out of the sauvignon blanc I had been drinking and our waiter went next door to Bana to "borrow" a bottle for me. During lunch at the Grill we noticed a tapas bar next door at Gabi Bar and my husband wandered over to look at their menu. The waiter from Gabi immediately followed him back to our table at the Grill and offered to bring whatever tapas we wanted from their menu back to us at the Grill. We never had problems making dinner reservations, wherever and whenever we wanted. That being said, the resort was far less than half full. Not sure how things might change when it's nearer capacity.

Entertainment- Our one disappointment during the week. Would have loved some live music before dinner at any of the bar areas, but the only live entertainment during our stay was from nine to eleven at night in Gabi Bar. Went to check it out once, and it was extremely loud, not particularly good, and the bar was loaded with kids and strollers.

Gym-loved the pilates and yoga classes in the morning. Used the elipticals and treadmills, wished you could plug your headphones into the TVs they had around the room muted. No problem getting on machines, but wonder what might happen when the resort is more filled. There were only two ellipticals, and four or five treadmills.

Spa-seemed very overpriced, $145 for a fifty minute massage? Instead, we asked one of the concierges to call Veronica's Gold in Playa (got this info from Trip Advisor posts) and we booked massages for $30 that were wonderful. A ten dollar cab ride each way. Nothing fancy, just simple, air conditioned, quiet rooms, and wonderful masseuses. Afterwards we walked the town a bit, perfectly safe, just a little tourist tacky.

Ambiance- Just wonderful, very zen. The entire resort is beautifully decorated, with a theme of rods and orbs, done differently in each area but always perfect. Lots of water weaving through the main areas, each bar area or restaurant area has a different feel, different furniture, all totally relaxing. Canned music played throughout resort, which normally gets on my nerves, but here it was all part of the relaxing vibe.

Miscellaneous-Loved walking the two miles down the beach to Playa del Carmen. Great walk, no impediments and definitely not dangerous during the day. Can't see what would make Royal Service worth the upcharge. Rooms are basically the same, with the addition of a bathtub or hot tub on their balcony. Yes, they have a separate pool area, but it's no different than the main pool. And who really needs or wants a butler? We had a conceirge to make our reservations. Talked to one couple staying in royal and they said they were kind of embarrased that they had nothing for their butler to do. He kept asking if he could shine their shoes ( their sandals and gym shoes? not really), and wanting to draw them a bath. They really didn't need him to draw their bath, but finally said yes just to make him happy, but then they had to commit to a specific time they wanted their bath to be ready. The royals only restaurant, La Palapa was open for dinner to everyone, and we enjoyed it very much, but all the restaurants we went to were wonderful, if we didn't get to eat there we wouldn't have missed it. Interestingly, the clientele was primarily European and South American, not Americans or Canadians. And the ages were more in their thirties than fifties.
The non-American thing became acutely obvious when it came to tipping. We always tip a few bucks, even at AIs where tipping is supposed included. Europeans do not, which is their culture, but a shame. All the staff worked so hard, they deserved everything we left them.

Any questions, just send me a private message. Otherwise, just go!

11 Thank cherikm
fairfield county ct
Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stayed at the Paradisus La Perla the week of January 14th. We had a great vacation. At check in we were upgraded from a Luxury Jr. suite to a one bedroom suite. We saw the luxury Jr. Suite and it was beautiful, one long room, but the master was very large and spacious. The bathroom area was spacious as well with a double sink in one area where there was a jacuzzi tub.... and another sink in the shower area. The toilet is there too. This bathroom connected to the living room/dining room, where there is a pullout sofa bed....convenient for another guest but all have to share the bathroom. There should be a half bath accessible to the living room area for a third and or fourth person. The shower was a double"rain" shower and thetemperature was always perfect. We enjoyed that.
The hotel grounds, the pool the lobby are all beautiful. The architect....designers really did a wonderful job. There is so much to look at in the lobby areas, but somehow it all harmonizes as a perfect composition. The atmosphere is peaceful and luxurious although there was so much going on in the design.
The staff is perfect. Every person we delt with was a 10. We had a personal concierge assigned to us ..not part of the royal service....who was a joy. His name was Markos. He was fun and made sure everthing we needed or wanted was taken care of or arranged. He found us every day and asked if we needed anything at all and made perfect suggestions.
The food was excellent. Breakfast was fun and delicious and dinners were beyond our expectations. Our favorite restaurant was Fuego.
At night there was always something to do....dancing or enjoy a show. We went into town once and had a great time. It is perfectly safe, busy, buzzing and fun. We shopped, ate and danced. Take a taxi there. Or your could walk there on the beach which is fun.
There were a few things we were unhappy about. The beach is not one of those beautiful beaches you imagine going to, but it is okay and it was relaxing enjoying the sea. The sand is soft and smooth and fun for long walks. There are still some areas of rocky coral that guests have cut themselves on, but the management is working on that. We found areas to swim in and enjoyed the water. Secondly, the pool is freezing and was usually empty.....good for polar bears! The ocean is much warmer than the pool and we did swim there a few times. The pool really has to be heated. The pool area however is wonderful. There are palapas everywhere and you can luxuriate in them all day. They are like thatched beds or couches. We loved that.
The last thing I was unhappy about was the entrance to the hotel. The entrance is not impressive and you cannot miss the obvious poverty immediately on the outskirts of the resort. This is often apparent in poorer countries...always depressing.
However, we had a truly great vacation. The wonderful food, outstanding service and the striving for excellence made this a favorite vacation of ours. We always stay in 5 star resorts and this is certainly one!

Room Tip: All rooms are great...only the view or location is different
Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed January 31, 2012

The Paradisus is absolutely wonderful. The resort is 100% complete and everything felt so nice and new. We truly felt like it was a splurge. My husband and I went with another couple (all in our late 20's) and it was the perfect place to relax. We loved sitting in the cabanas by the pool and my absolute favorite thing was that the resort was not over crowded. We never had trouble finding a spot to sit and relax and there was always a staff near by constantly asking us if we needed anything - it was almost like having a personal butler service. We did not have the Royal Service and felt like we were getting exclusive treatment.
The room was perfect. The beds had fresh linens, everything was so clean and I loved the complimentary new slippers. The dual, rain showers were amazing and we took pictures so we could build an exact replica in our own home.
The beach was okay - the sand was really soft, but there is quite a bit of seaweed and branches in the water/on the beach each though they spend a lot of time raking. There was sand volleyball on the beach, which the boys really enjoyed. My only complaint is that there's no seating to watch! The Family Conceirge section is right next to the volleyball net and although the seating was open we were kicked out from sitting there and had to sit on the ground to watch volleyball - seems like a simple fix to put some non-restricted seating next to volleyball for people to watch.
Really we just stayed by the pool most of the time so it wasn't a big deal. Ivan instructed the Pilates and Water Aerobics and was fantastic!
The food was wonderful - I recommend splurging on Passion - it was the nicest meal we've ever eaten and the 4 of us had a wait staff of 3 all to ourselves. It really made for a special evening. The guacamole at Mole was the best as well! Skip the Grill and try the other (non-buffet) restaurants...they were all really good. The fish was my favorite dish except at Vento get the steak!
We would definitely go back and recommend this to anyone wanting an exclusive, relaxing, non-crowded resort.

Room Tip: Swim out suites did not seem worth the money. We got a basic room and thought it was fantastic. Ev...
7 Thank ktsdavis
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed January 29, 2012

We just got back from a week @ Paradisus. Most of the prior-written reviews are spot on in my opnion. Food was great, weather is great, hotel is brand new and beautiful!. Pros- rooms and grounds are JUST like you see in the photos. The place is kept immaculate. Palapas are awesome and the main pool and sunning areas are large and relaxing. Drinks and food kept coming and they were great as well. We hit a different restaurant every night. Everyone went out of their way to say hello and ask how everything was going. They generally seemed concerned if we were having a good week.
Cons-they do not enforce the "no kids" rules on the Paradisus side, nor keeping non Royal-service guests out of that area. We ate dinner a few times with small children screaming in the background, or large groups of 10+ parents, friends and kids all eating together. And I'm refering to an upscale sushi restuarant where we were dressed up....not the buffet! Between 6-8pm most places allow kids onto the Paradisus side to use the restaurants and vice versa. But several times we saw kids, parents with strollers, etc. walking through our pool and resturant areas during the day. I have nothing against kids, but I went there to get away from them for the week.
We got a swim up suite which was very nice, but the water is COLD! You might thtink this is nit-picking in a 90 degree paradise location, but it's not. Our side was in the shade all day and even the big main pool was rarely used by guests all week while we were there due to the temperature. No heated pools, no hot tubs at all on the grounds (other than the spa which you have to pay to use). Ocean seemed warmer than the pools. I would have saved my $$ and gotten a balcony had I known. Beach, nice, but small and dangerous. There is only 6 ft. or so seperating your chair from the water and there are several submerged logs and coral/rocks throughout the beach. All week you could see people stumbling to try and find clear passage into the water. If your going for the beach alone...be forewarned. Outside the resort is scary. It is humbling to see the locals and how they live. We were 'warned' several times to be careful if we went out in a cab and were advised not to walk off the grounds.
I'd recommend the resort, we had a fantastic time. I just feel like they should work on improving the beach somewhat and do a better job of enforcing Royal Service and adults only sections. We did have some issues which we did not report to management about a strange sulfer odor in our room the last night, and the noise level from the neighboring rooms seems to be amplified off the limestone flooring. Minor issues, but it did keep us up the last 2 nights we were there.

Room Tip: Get a swim up suite during the hot season only, it's nice. Otherwise the water is too cold, we d...
13 Thank Ryan T
Bedford, New Hampshire, United States
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Every time I read one of these reviews I always wonder about the background of the person writing the review. Age, gender, how often they travel, to where, expectations etc. So to begin so you guys have an idea..I'm a 24 year old female. This vacation was me, my 26 year old boyfriend, my 28 year old sister, her 29 year old husband, my 55 year old mom and 63 year old dad. We have been traveling our whole lives on family vacations, mostly to the Caribbean. We have never been to Mexico or stayed at an all inclusive resort. My parents owned a restaurant for 18 years so we are pretty critical of food and service. That being said, we are not snobby. We love to have fun and enjoy ourselves on vacation. So now on to the review....

My boyfriend and I have been reading reviews on here for months prior to the vacation. Most have been good but there had been a handful that have suggested there was still construction going on, you could hear dogs barking while you slept, food and service were average, the beach wasn't good, and there were a ton of mosquitoes. We were extremely concerned by this, to the point we almost switched resorts we stayed at. We decided to take a chance and hoped that by now they had it together and things would be okay. THAT WAS THE BEST DECISION WE EVER MADE.

We stayed at La Perla from January 14th-January 21st. Here is our run down of our thoughts. We're going to try to cover everything.

Booking: We booked the reservation through cheapcaribbean which included our hotel stay, airfare and transportation to and from the hotel. Everything they booked for us was perfect. We had no problems or issues at all. They booked us transportation through Olympus Tours and they were on time for both pick up and departure, were friendly and knowledgeable. (If you use them they were navy blue pants and orange shirts so you can find them at the airport.) It's a 45 minute ride from Cancun airport to the resort. FYI: Don't panic about the drive onto the resort. The main entrance is still being constructed so you will drive through what looks like a very shady, run down area with lots of construction going on. This is no way a reflection of the gorgeous resort you're about to step foot on!

Check in: We were greeted with cold towels and champagne. They took our luggage immediately. We booked 3 Luxury Junior Suites Ocean View. We had heard about different problems noise wise depending on where your room was, we requested to see our room. They offered to let us see all of the different room types so we could decide if we wanted to change/upgrade. Mario at the front desk was more than accommodating for all of our needs and worked with us to get us what we wanted.
Vouchers: We each got a packet of vouchers for staying 7+ nights. They were kind of pointless. I only used one at the spa that was $40 off a treatment. They had some others for $10 off bottles of wine not included in the all inclusive and one for $$ off a romantic dinner. The dinner was over $300 to begin with and you only got around $80 off. Vouchers don’t help you much.

The rooms: We viewed all of the different rooms you can choose from. Originally we were a little dissapointed with the view of our room because you can't see the ocean very well and it overlooks mangroves, as well as has a view of the run down town located directly outside the resort. That being said, we definitely recommend an interior facing room. The pool view is better then the ocean view. We ended up getting 3 swim up suites. They were a perfect location. We could LITERALLY swim from our room to the swim up bar. The rooms itself are aboslutely stunning. They have gorgeous double rain showers, big jacuzzi tub, king size bed, flat screen TV, couch, double his/her large closets and sinks, stocked fridge (beer, soda, water, juice.) One thing we were concerned about is that we wouldn’t have enough privacy in the swim up suite. This was not the case at all. We had plenty. They have perfect drapes you can close at any time. Privacy is not a problem. Wi-fi worked perfectly in our room and by the pool. We never saw mosquitoes and never heard a dog bark. We never heard any construction. We saw a few people doing work on little things around the resort that were no big deal at all.

The décor: Sheek, modern, beautiful. Every time you walk through you notice another detail you didn’t before. So much time and money must’ve went into the architecture here. It is absolutely stunning everywhere you look. From colors to design…the list goes on and on.

Restaurants/Bars: When we checked in Ingrid, our concierge asked us where we wanted to eat etc. and said she would book our reservations for us. You could only book reservations 2-3 days in advance. However, this created no problems for us and we were able to eat exactly where we wanted and when we wanted to eat without an issue. One of the biggest things to remember, that we were unaware of is that ALL of the restaurants except The Grill and The Market required LONG pants and CLOSED toed shoes for men. Women can pretty much get away with mostly anything semi formal. However, this dress code wasn't always enforced and sometimes they would actually tell you, you needed to change, while other times we'd see men in shorts. I think they're still trying to work this out. However, for the men, it wasn't a big deal wearing long pants because the temperature at night was comfortable for this. Okay, we were blown away by basically every bar and restaurant which shocked me, because as I mentioned, we're pretty food and service critical. Here's a rundown of our thoughts:

Sunset Grill: Outside and casual dining by the pool (Sunrise Grill on La Esmeralda). Served great sandwiches and pub style food. Must have: Chicken Wings, Chips & Guacamole. Best guacamole I’ve ever had. The bar here is the swim up pool! We loved sitting at the swim up pool and getting drinks and hanging out with the great bartenders.

Hadar: Amazing breakfast buffet. Anything you want from eggs, pancakes, French toast, fresh fruit, yogurt, smoothies, omelets, etc. Must have: Chocolate Croissants

Fuego: Our favorite restaurant of the week. It was so good we actually went back for dinner our last night there. Modern Latin cuisine. Must have: Appetizer - Travel the Americas, Soup Main – Pork Tenderloin, Dessert – Coconut Crème Brule. If you have a large group request the private room and Nikkolas as your server.

Bana: There are three different types of dining here – Sushi Bar, Hibachi Grill & Asian Fusion. Be sure to identify which place you would like to dine at when booking your reservation. We went to the Hibachi Grill and were as impressed with the food as we were the entertaining presentation. There is no menu here as it is family style cuisine. We had Springs Rolls, Sushi, rice & a delicious combination of beef tenderloin, chicken & shrimp. My favorite dessert of the trip, the Fried Tempura Ice Cream with a raspberry sauce was served here and was exceptional.

The Grill/The Market: Great steaks, chicken and pasta dishes. You can sit here and see the ocean over the mangroves if you sit at an outside table.
Vento: Greek/Mediterranean Restaurant. Beef Filet and the Lamb dish were two of the best main courses we had. Baklava with caramelized apples was my 2nd favorite dessert of the trip.

Gabi Club: Tapas Bar with a plethora of choices. One of the best places on the resort to go for drinks, dancing and fun at night. You can also purchase hukka and cigars here. We didn’t, but I think it’s $25 for hukka.

South Avenue Bar: This is centrally located between restaurants. The biggest bar with seating all around it including beds/couches, etc. Large drink choice. They have most of the entertainment after hours besides Gabi Club. A good place to go after dinner or with a group. It is open air, so you kind of feel like you are outside which is nice.

Red Lounge: Very creatively decorated, very comfortable beds/seats if you want to lay or sit down. Not too many people were here when we were here however and one night they had a DJ which was just a little too loud and only played Techno. Good service and they’ll put TV’s on whatever you want to watch.

M Bar: Martini bar with an extensive martini list. Very creative. It is located between Passion and Fuego. Good place for a drink before dinner at either.

Blue Agave: Located between Vento and Mole. Excellent margaritas here!
Alcohol: They have all top shelf liquors, including Grey Goose etc, for free so feel free to request it in every drink you get. Their beer choice is limited to Tekati, Sol, and Dos Equis. We both like to drink beer so this was a little disappointing but the Sol and Dos Equis were fine for the week.

Room service: 24-7, anytime you want it, for free. I think weird hours may be a $5 up charge. If they’re really busy it can take a while (an hour) We ordered twice late night. Definitely not as good as the food in the restaurants, but none the less does the trick.
Service: We can’t say enough about the service!! It was un-real!! Everyone here is working to do whatever they need to do to make you happy. They will go out of their way to do anything you ask of them. Whether you call the front desk, are sitting by the pool, or at a restaurant, your wish is their command. They do everything with a smile. They all seem to enjoy being at work and genuinely want to learn about you. We had 6 people in our group and even with a language barrier we NEVER had one thing confused or messed up regarding food or drink! There are a few people I feel I must mention that stood out throughout the week.

Ivan: He helps run a bunch of the free activities they offer throughout the week. He was extremely personable, friendly, fun and was always telling us what was happening where and when. We had so much fun when he ran activities. He was such a pleasure to be around!! We asked Ivan his secret to being so happy and he said: “No 2 for 1's, no happy hours, life is life. One chance. One shot. Got to make the best of it. The secret is to enjoy it." That’s for sure. He knows how to live.

Juan/Emanuel: Two bartenders at the pool bar. They were so much fun! They would laugh and sing and dance. They mixed us up all types of shots and were attentive and willing to get you anything you wanted. They made our pool bar experience what it was.
Nikkolas: Our server both times at Fuego. Probably the best server I’ve ever had anywhere. We requested him the 2nd time we went and requested the private room. At the end of our meal my dad and boyfriend asked him if he could get them desert from Bana because they loved it so much. His response was, “Anything is possible.” And of course, he made it happen. Could you ask for anything more?!

Moises: Server at Sunset bar and grill. He served us when we ate there and when we sat by the pool. He is very interested in learning better English and will help you with your Spanish. He is always smiling and pleasant and working hard.

Pool: We read a lot of reviews about the pool being very cold. I wasn’t sure what to expect. Needless to say we spent a significant amount of time in the pool. It was like any other pool I’d been in….cold when you first get in and then you get used to it. The earlier reviews could’ve been because the pool was just filled a few months ago and it needed some time to warm up. It is large and has loungers with mini tables in it if you want to lay in the water and eat/drink. As mentioned earlier, the main pool is connected to the swim up suites so you can swim through the pool to your room. Our favorite part of the pool was hanging out at the pool bar and dancing on the days they had DJ’s. FYI, Royal Service / Family Concierge have private heated pools. Later in the day we usually relaxed in the private huts around the pool where we could lay down. Extremely relaxing and comfortable.

Activities: They offer a series of free activities every day. My boyfriend and I actually had a really good time participating in a bunch of them. We did beach volleyball, Mexican wine tasting, water aerobics (my whole family did this with Ivan after having a few cocktails and it was the funniest thing ever..), salsa lesson, merengue lesson, kayaking, and yhi spa massage lesson. They also offered yoga, Pilates, tequila tastings, cocktail making, sushi making, painting, etc. They had a DJ at the pool on Sunday and also again on Friday. On Friday they had dancers around the pool as well. This was our favorite activity. It really lightened up the mood at the pool and got people grooving and drinking. They also had nightly entertainment when we were there including: 60, 70s, 90s go go dancer party, fire show, different bands every night at Gabi Club, belly dancers, Mayan party, etc.

Yhi Spa: Beautiful, beautiful spa inside the hotel. I got a 50 minute Mayan massage and chose to have mine done outside. They have an interior spa and then they also have a spa set up that is open air. It is set up kind of in the middle of the hotel. (hard to explain) but they have a Jacuzzi and pools in this area with water jets with water coming down and music. Even though people can still walk by this area (privacy is achieved through huts and curtains) I chose to have my massage here because you could barely hear anyone over the sounds of water and music and I thought it was extremely relaxing. My massage was amazing and well worth the money. It was $145 to begin with, and I used my $40 off voucher to make it $105. I did tip in addition to this.

Beach: The beach, while narrow is beautiful. Beautiful blue green water, soft white sand. The chairs and umbrellas are comfortable and plentiful. They have servers walking on the beach they can serve you drinks. They have a bar set up as you walk onto the beach so they don’t have to go far to get drinks. Non motorized water sports are free (kayaks etc,) while motorized (jet skis) are extra. The motorized were very expensive (kind of a rip off) so we didn’t do them. We got up one morning and watched the sun rise. The sun rose about 6:30am. It was absolutely beautiful and worth it. Some people in earlier reviews wrote about rocks, sticks that stick up in part of the water when you walk in. this is true and you need to be careful of these!! It’s not life threatening, but something to be cautious of! I recommend swimming directly in front of the life guard tower. The water was warm, warmed then the pool and very comfortable for swimming.

Weather: Obviously the resort can’t control this, but just an FYI: It was beautiful. Sunny and around 75-80f every day. Pretty breezy our first few days which was actually nice. It poured the first day we arrived but that didn’t affect us much. Temps at night get a little cooler, but very comfortable. Probably 60-65.

Off site activities: There are a lot of activities available off site. There is a travel agent from “Best Travel” sits near the lobby and you can book through him. Some of these activities include swimming with dolphins, visiting Mayan ruins, ATV tours, jet skiing, snorkeling, zip lining, repelling, etc. We actually didn’t end up going on any tours. We were considering a combo tour of ATV’s, jet skis and snorkeling, but decided against it. The tour ran about $150 per person.

We booked a tour before we went with paradisecatamarans.com. We rented a private catamaran for the 6 of us. I can’t say enough about how great this was. We has transportation pick us up from the resort, drove about 35 minutes to the marina and boarded a HUGE catamaran (probably could’ve fit 50 people) We had a crew of 4. One of our crew members, Steven was a young American who travels all over the world doing a bunch of different stuff. He was so pleasant. We sailed out about an hour, stopped in a cove and went snorkeling. We saw a ton of fish including a sea turtle. We then got back on the boat, had a great lunch, and sailed back an hour. We even got to see the sunset as we sailed. A great, great day with no glitches. (Well, I got stung by a bee, but whatever, haha)

Going into town/Playa Del Carmen: One day we all walked the beach from the resort and walked about 40 minutes into Playa. We ended up eating a restaurant called “Fusion” (of course recommended by Ivan) it was right on the beach. The service was great! I had the best chicken fajitas I’ve ever had in my life. Highly recommend. We also walked around 5th avenue (the famous street in playa) for a little while. We went into a bar called “Tequila Barrel” where they do sports betting. We had fun betting on some horses. My boyfriend and I took a cab back into Playa one night ($10 cab ride each way, about 7 minutes from hotel, negotiate price before u get into the cab) We had a fun night bar hopping. We went to Cocoa Maya, and a few others I can’t remember the names of. Cocoa Bongo is the most popular bar in Playa but we decided to skip it because it was $65 per person cover charge. (granted it’s all you can drink and free entertainment) Playa is fun but definitely don’t go alone. I don’t even know if I’d go with a group of girls. It seems like it can be pretty unsafe if you’re not careful. We also went back one day and grabbed some souvenirs. LOTS of places to shop. Bargaining is definitely possible. Don’t get ripped off.

For the most part we didn’t leave the resort much, nor did we feel the need to. Plenty to do!

Superbowl: If you’re there during it and want to watch it they will show it at the resort or you can go into town and watch it at Tequila Barrel and a bunch of other bars. We watched the Patriots play off game at the resort while we were there.

Okay, sorry this was so lengthy!! We relied on these reviews before we went so we want to make sure others have as much information as possible. We can’t say enough about this gorgeous resort and awesome staff. We are counting down the days until we get to go back. Please feel free to message me for any additional information! Have a great trip! Thank you Paradisus La Perla!

Room Tip: Choose an interior view/swim up suite if possible
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
33 Thank Jill W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
Magic Blue Hotel
Magic Blue Hotel
#58 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Esmeralda
Paradisus Playa Del Carmen La Es...
#34 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Royal Hideaway Playacar
Royal Hideaway Playacar
#33 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hotel
Blue Diamond Luxury Boutique Hot...
#47 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
Zoetry Paraiso de La Bonita
#4 of 25 in Puerto Morelos
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
Secrets Capri Riviera Cancun
#38 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Paradisus Playa del Carmen La Perla? Share your experiences!