“Excellent Steaks”

Restaurant Parrilla El Criollo
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Restaurant Parrilla Argentina, argentinian empanadas, home made pizzas, grilled argentinian steak, lomo sandwich with french fries, chorizos, variety of salads, special desserts, argentinian wines. Cozy place with excellent prices.
Montreal, Canada
“Excellent Steaks”
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We were walking down 5th avenue looking for a place to eat. We walked by this Argentinian and took a mental note as we like Argentina beef. The sky was threatening major thunderstorms, we kept walking looking and being petitioned by eager employees to eat at their establishments. When it started to rain, we quickly walked back to this spot Great service, wonderful tender steaks.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Bravo_deals

Chicago, Illinois
“A restaurant with high expectations that needs to be discovered.”
Reviewed August 3, 2011

My partner and I spent a month in the newer north end of Playa and enjoyed the great restaurants in the area. One we particularly enjoyed was El Facon. We thought the beef entrees exceptional and the rest of dinners and presentation were of similar quality. We happened to meet one of the owners who talked of his goals for the restaurant and his insistence on the highest quality meats and foodstuffs.
It seemed to us that this was a restaurant which should have a devoted following and we hope this comes true for one of the newest restaurants in Playa.

• Visited March 2011
1 Thank RedRath
Alexandria, Virginia
“Beautiful ambiance, best Arrachera and Chimichurri”
Reviewed May 3, 2011

This restaurant is located in what I keep hearing referred to as "the new avenida quinta" in the far northern end. It is quiet, sophisticated and beautiful, unlike the much more tackier portions of 5th Street a few blocks south. We sat outside and perhaps because it was Sunday there was a deal for free wine with dinner.

We got a free tiny starter appetizer which was a bruschetta type of dish with a mild cheese and a spicey kick. Then there was bread served with three sauces, an amazing tasting fresh Chimishurri sauce, a fantastic butter/cheese spread that I have had at Argentine steak houses before, and a spicey sauce.

I got a wonderful glass of Tempranillo, which was honestly the best Tempranillo I have ever had. It went wonderful with the marinated Arrachera I ordered. It came on a wooden board with delicious fries.

Don't forget the empanada appetizers, they are fresh and delicious. Our server said the restaurant is Mexican operated but they use Argentine cooking styles for everything.

The flan desert we ordered was very good as well.

The only negative is when I went inside to use the bathroom (which was beautiful and clean) it felt approximately 500ºF in there due to the Parilla cooking the amazing meat. I think because there was no one sitting inside maybe they decided not to run the air conditioning.

The service was very friendly and polite, and the prices very reasonable. I think we paid something like $45 U.S. or so for two for a decidedly higher end dining experience including tip.

The outdoor tables in the evening had a beautiful ambiance and you could feel a cooling breeze. Highly recommended for a romantic dinner that won't break the bank and if you start to get tired of corn tortilla tacos and fish and coronas while staying in Playa del Carmen.

I highly recommended you order the thin steaks and not the fat steaks you might be used to in the United States. Try the flank or the Arrachera steak instead, arrachera being a Mexican specialty.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank bboyneko
“Jacques Pepin eats here”
Reviewed February 25, 2011

I knew the guy seated next to me looked familiar
Turns out to be Jacques Pepin the celebrity chef who worked with Julia Child and has his own cooking tv show
He apparently eats here once a week
That's a good enough endorsement for me
Everything was great and the prices are low
Check out el facon

1 Thank Steveclipse
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect place”
Reviewed February 21, 2011

A perfect place to have lunch and dinner. We just love it.

1 Thank Eriktagle