“The dive shop you are looking for in Playa”
Review of DiveMex

DiveMex
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: DiveMex is a small dive center in downtown Playa del Carmen close to the public bus station, the ferry and the public transport station for tulum and cancun. Diving with us is so much more than just get dressed, jump into the water and dive. The personal experience of every diver is very important to us and that's why we only dive in small groups up to 4 divers. Safe diving, no rushing and personal service guaranteed.You will get the best diving experience possible, regardless if you are at the beggining of your diving career or already an advanced diver
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My family and I dove with DiveMex this past summer. It was a wonderful experience, Anna and Dirk are the ultimate professionals making sure we had a comfortable and safe dive. The gear was nearly new and of excellent quality. They where also accommodating to our dive site requests and offered suggestions regarding which sites where "must" dive. Anna was a great dive master and diving was a pleasure with her. We have dove in many countries and they rank tops as diving experience and satisfaction goes. Definitely will contact them if we vacation in the area again.

Dirk Z, Owner at DiveMex, responded to this reviewResponded September 28, 2013

What a wonderful review: thank you so much Carlos!
I am very pleased that you had such a great diving experience with us.
It was a good time for me too, enjoying the underwater world with your beautiful family of 5.
Thank you again for your compliments :-)
Looking forward to dive with all of you again.
Anna Paola

Reviewed September 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I dived with DiveMex on our most recent trip to PDC. He got his PADI Open Water certification and we both took the Advanced Open Water certification.

I was very impressed with how thorough the shop was with the theory/skills for O.W. My boyfriend was very nervous to dive and felt comfortable after the intense focus on skills.

However, I did not think the dive for O.W. were of very good quality. For someone who has just spent great time/effort to get certified, the dives were mediocre at best. I understand not tearing up a reef, but there wasn't much to see and for someone who hasn't dived before (my boyfriend) he was disappointed with what he thought he was getting into.

The Advanced course is AWESOME. The cenote dives (we dived Chac Mul) were gorgeous. They were so, so, amazing. Matthew took us and we loved every second. I dived a night dive, too, it was a lot of fun and we saw some cool creatures (including a giant sleeping turtle). The drift dives were also outstanding. We dived Tortugas and Baracuda, saw some rays and turtles, and other great fish. The best dives, though, were to the National Marine Forest outside of Cozumel. There was more life than I have ever seen on a reef, the visibility was fantastic, and the boat crew were above and beyond helpful/friendly. (Drift and Cozumel we dived with Amelio) It definitely turned our experience around.

I highly highly highly recommend the cenote/Cozumel dives. They are outstanding. It seems that for the Playa dives, though, there is a lot of sitting around the dive shop doing nothing while you wait for everyone to get ready. DiveMex doesn't have their own boat, so you have to wait for the boat they rent to be free, for their pickup to be loaded, then drive to a beach and load the boat before you can dive. That makes for great camaraderie (we made wonderful friends while there), but can be frustrating if you are trying to plan other activities throughout the day.

Overall, the people who dive with DiveMex were all very fun, the staff went above and beyond to create a great atmosphere and have safe fun, and the Advanced Dives were fantastic!

2  Thank JJosephineB
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I got my open water certification done through Dive Mex and had a pretty mixed experience.

Let me start by saying that diving with Emilio was excellent. Emilio was very professional and a great dive master. Matt went through the pool exercises with me and was great as well.

Quite unlike some others, I actually liked the fact that Dirk was clear and to the point. I got the sense that he knew what he was doing and that I was in safe hands.

My problem was with all the confusion Divemex created in communicating. When I called them on the phone from a different city I was offered a certain rate for the open water certification based on a lower USD conversion rate. Upon getting to Playa, however, this changed. I was also told that I could pick the dives I wanted to do for my certification and also that I could dive in a cenote as part of my certification, all of which turned out not to be true. Unfortunately, none of this came to me on the phone but came at various stages of a certification that I had split over a couple of weekends.

I only wish the staff had been clearer on what they were offering and had been more forthright when I asked them pointed questions about it instead of waiting for me to get to Playa to drop the bomb.

In all fairness Dirk did offer me a discount for a cenote dive but with the rejoinder that he'd make good the difference from the salary of the staff who had miscommunicated with me. I didn't think it was fair for him to offer such a deal and do believe it could have been handled much better.

Would I dive with DiveMex again? I probably would, but I'd make sure I get Dirk on the phone the first time.

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Yes, Dirk is a little bossy. But he has to, its your life you are risking everytime you dive, specially in the cenotes.

Apart from that and the terrible food in the trip, everything else is fantastic.

For them safety comes first, fun and learning are in second place.
They are very knowledgeable about diving wich makes a difference.

I cant recommend you enough to go for the cenotes dive its truly amazing, the formations the separation between fresh and marine water makes it all blurry and makes you feel as if you were drunk but totally worth it.

Unfortunately we felt sick and extremely lazy for a couple of days so we couldnt dive anymore, but our experience was fabulous

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Dirk and the other staff (Emilio, Matt) are fantastic to deal with - friendly and accommodating! I recently did 3 days of diving with them over the course of a week-long vacation. 2 days of cenotes, 1 ocean day. I showed up without a firm reservation on the first day (not recommending that...), having only exchanged a few emails, but they fit me in and made the rest of my diving trips a breeze.

I lucked out and got my own private guide on two dives, with the third being a small group of 3 divers + guide. I am only a recently certified diver and felt that the staff was very professional, good with equipment fitting, and thorough with safety procedures. They can also accommodate many languages - English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, and probably a few more. Impressed by the whole experience - will go back if I vacation there again!

1  Thank Greg L