“Divemex”
Review of DiveMex

DiveMex
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: DiveMex is a small dive center in downtown Playa del Carmen close to the public bus station, the ferry and the public transport station for tulum and cancun. Diving with us is so much more than just get dressed, jump into the water and dive. The personal experience of every diver is very important to us and that's why we only dive in small groups up to 4 divers. Safe diving, no rushing and personal service guaranteed.You will get the best diving experience possible, regardless if you are at the beggining of your diving career or already an advanced diver
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Divemex allowed us the perfect scuba experience. Dirk, our dive, master was personable, knowledgeable, and helpful and my family including 2 teenage girls had a tremendous time. We spent one day on a open water reef dive and another exploring caverns and both days were flawless. The equipment we rented worked well along with communication via internet prior to our vacation. Dirk spent the time getting to know us and helped my daughters improve their skills. Dirk always kept safety in mind and tailored the dives according to our ability. I felt comfortable and confident diving with Dirk. We can't wait to return.

1  Thank kar333
Dirk Z, Manager at DiveMex, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Thanks a lot for this positive review. We are glad the diving and the prior communication met your expectations. It has been our pleasure diving with you and we hope you will be back for more dives with us.

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"instructions"

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Hi,

I am staying with a friend at Playa del Carmen and was looking for a safe and thrustworthy dive experience. Also, a relaxed one would be nice. Since I'm the only one of my party diving, I'm limited in time spend. I browsed the internet and found Anna and Dirk: normally I do this at home, e-mail, etc. But given the circumstances, it was a short investigation and ... Accidently, I arrived at their shop before I knew it. I discussed the situation and interest:
- 1x cenote
- 1x Cozumel reef
Mind you I'm AOWD with just 10 dives under my belt. So, Dirk appeared sceptic about me as a diver to be ready for the cenote dive (he was figuring me out). It did not feel offensive to me. I describe this at such length, because I read a negative review, and I'm under the impression that could partly be caused by Dirks line of questioning and reasoning (I like it). He wants you to be safe, have a comfortable dive and enjoy it; you are the one determining the pace.
They thought of how we could accomplish this safely; and made it happen.

You can ask lots of questions, and they are all answered. Further more, there were tips and explanation for improvement. For instance the frog kick; although the explaination outperformed my IRL performance :-)
The other important aspect of this diveshop is: Small groups. 4-5 persons and a group of equal dive experience. There is only one negative part of my experience: my cenote reservation was canceled due change in the dive group. But, it turned out for the better: I dove with both Anna and Dirk and no other divers in the group the next day, and with just a very few other divers on the same site. That's the advantage of diving out of season!

The (two tank) cenote dive was really beautiful. A must do. Drinks, cookies and sandwiches are included.

By the way: Dirk speaks German and English. Anna speaks English, Italian. At least those are the languages I know they speak well. Possibly some more, but I have not asked.

Dirk Z, Manager at DiveMex, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

A pleasure to hear you had a good time with us and enjoyed the different dives with us. As you mentioned safety is important for diving in general and especially for the cenotes. Nonetheless having fun and incredible experiences is very important to us as well. Thank you very much for this detailed review.

Reviewed December 25, 2011

I took my 23 yr old son and his fiance to Cozumel as new divers, and planned two diving days with DIve Mex, through Dirk and co. We did 4 dives (our first ocean dives) in two days, and it was fantastic! Dirk was very good to communicate with in the weeks preparing for our trip. Once we arrived, everything went very smoothly. One day we dove with one of his instructors in Cozumel. There was a small group of others with us on the boat and we were able to meet several people from all over the world with varying levels of dive experience. This was a friendly, personal experience that was focused very much on our individual diving experience and skill level. It was a great balance for new divers- lots of support and education, and lots of flexibility to challenge us as we progressed. Dirk and co were excellent, as well as the boat captain and crew. Dirk runs a very personal operation, and showed great interest in us as people, and wanting is to have a great experience.
In addition , his crew prepared us a great lunch between dives, helped us with all of our gear set up and break down, and were great company. I would highly recommend Dirk and Dive Mex for all your diving trips to the Play Del Carmen and Cozumel area. We are already planning to go back for some more Ocean diving and to do some Cenote diving as well. Thanks Dirk and company for a fantastic introduction to diving in Mexico. We will be back!

1  Thank Dan S
Dirk Z, Manager at DiveMex, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Thank you very much for your review. Good to hear you had a great introduction to diving in the sea. Hopefully since then you were able to get some more dives done and enjoyed more of the underwater world.
We hope as well that you will be back, there are a lot more sites and things we would like to show you.

Reviewed June 15, 2011

Me and my boyfriend attended a Padi Open water diving course at Dive Mex. We experienced Dive Max with Sunil Panchal as a diving instructor, to be very professional and polite. Sunil Panchal is a patient and competent teacher. The equipment was faultless and the other staff were very service-minded. (they even gave us free bottle of beer each to celebrate the completion of the course… Nice!)

In addition, after we finished the course, we did 2 tank dives in the Cenotes. That was an amazing experience. We would highly recommend Dive Mex. Sincerely Svetlana Wik

Dear Svetlana,
Thank you for you review, we are happy to hear that you had a good experience learning how to dive. We hope you continue diving and have many more incredible times underwater. And of course it is good to see you were satisfied with the instructor and the service per se.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 22, 2011

I dove 2 cenotes with DiveMex and have to say that is was one of the best dive experiences I've ever had. I'm cavern certified and have dove in numerous springs and grottoes in Florida and have never been that impressed. The cenotes (Grand & Taj Mahal) that we visited with DiveMex were absolutely incredible and are a "must see" if you are diving in the area.

The service with DiveMex was outstanding. The dive master was very knowledgeable and personable and Dirk (the owner) is also very friendly. As captainron_001 mentioned, after a day of diving Dirk offers the divers coffee and/or beer and everyone can hang out and share stories. It is truly top notch service and I would consider staying in Dirk's hotel next time I visit.

Dirk Z, Manager at DiveMex, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

It is a pleasure to hear that also you as an experienced cavern diver think that the cenotes here at the Riviera Maya are the best cavern dives you have ever done. The are really unique and a great place to dive. We are happy as well that you are not only satisfied with the diving but with the whole experience you had here with us.
Thank you and hopefully we see each other again.