“Four year customer... will never go back”
Review of Xocolatier - CLOSED

Xocolatier
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 16, 2014

AVOID! Eggs smelled like they fell out of the back of a horse, but the worst was that I was told by the manager that I was mistaken, who ignorantly retreated to his phone and refused to give his name (named 'german' or herman, i was told later). When I ordered my bill, I was charged the full price for breakfast (which they took away) with no compensation for the bad food and unbelievable rude service. I have been told they're under new management. Whatever... I live and work in Playa; Xocolatier (...or 'XOCO' as they have recently rebranded themselves in order to possibly up the prices*), has been a regular for me since they opened. Too bad... AVOID

*yes... because they brought us TWO menus, one legacy (lower prices) and the new XOCO menu, in which prices were slightly more... I am not complaining about the price hike, I get that.. but really guys? Get ur stuff together.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

We went to the place tree times for lunch and tried their fix price menu. For 145 pesos you get tortias , lemonade, glass of vine, appetizer and main dish. The menu is different everyday (not available on Sundays) which we loved because it brings a surprise element . All dishes were good, but the best we liked were flavorful fish file Veracruz style, delicious poblano pepper cream soup, perfect fish ceviche. The portions are good size, just leaving space for an espresso! We will visit the place again and hope they will continue the fix price menu deals.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Variety and presentation of food and service were beyond expectation. The pricing is surprisingly moderate in a good location right at the end of the fifth so not in the crowded area. Had a superb cappuccino, an excellent homemade lemonade and best chicken wrap ever while sitting in a real comfortable chair, chilled and used their free WIFI stayed for hours and enjoyed the atmosphere.

2  Thank MexicoMrobjective
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Tired after touring Cozumel, we found this wonderful little place down the far end of 5th Ave. We were looking for peace and quiet out of the hustle and bustle of the main part of the street. This Cafe did not disappoint. The Thai Salads that we ordered were perfect. Will definitely go back next time we are in the area.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

This place is in the up and coming "local" end of 5th Avenue, on 38th. I love this end of 5th as it is less touristic and more chilled. This restaurant totally encapsulates this feeling, it has a great chilled atmosphere (the air conditioning is very welcome on a hot Playa day), free wifi, some lovely comfy seating and a GREAT menu which is a mix of traditional American style breakfasts with some more traditional Mexican options.

The service was super propmt, extremely attentive without the sometimes cloying over attention one can get from eager Playa servers! I was very impressed.

The customers here are a more local international crowd, those in the know who want to excape from the over tourism that is so present on 5th Avenue. This local element brings a relaxed, unpressured atmosphere to the place which makes it a true haven in Playa.

There is also a fabulous lunch menu which we are going to try next visit, served from 1pm. The chef is creative and presentation with the breakfast thoughtful and done with pride.

This will definately be my new favorite haunt AND the coffee is organic from Chiapas, the Mexican state here in the south west famous for it's coffee and chocolate.

I love this place and I think anyone else would too, especially good for families with young children as a welcome retreat from the sun and just to relax, enjoy a leisurely breakfast or a long lunch.