“Nice Vacation!”

Ranked #71 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Nashville, Tennessee
“Nice Vacation!”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

My fiance and I just got back from spending a week at the Viva Azteca. We are both young professionals in our early 20's and wanted to stay at a resort that wouldn't completely bust our budgets. This resort was great for that. We knew we weren't going to be going to a 5 star resort, but that suits our personalities and our wallets perfectly!

We loved the beach. Even though we are late risers, we always managed to find chairs. We couldn't always find chairs in the shade, but as people left the beach we would move so that was fine. There is plenty to do on the beach at no extra charge - catamarans, kayaking, volleyball, soccer, bocce ball, windsurfing. In complete honesty, we spent next to no time at the pool. It's crowded, really sandy, and mostly filled with children. Nothing against families, but we're a young couple and didn't want to deal with them on our trip so we avoided the pool area.

The rooms were great! After reading some reviews here I was skeptical (I even packed an extra pair of sheets and towels!), but I thought the rooms were fantastic. Very well air-conditioned, spacious, clean, serviced every day with clean sheets and towels if that's what you want, though they are really trying to be eco-friendly and not have to change linens that frequently. We stayed on the first floor by the pool. Only complaint about that is noise near the pool starts early and we are late risers. If you sleep in late and party at night, you might want to ask for a room that is closer to the lobby. If you are an early riser, but want to get to bed at a reasonable time, then a room near the pool is definitely for you as that area is usually dead by 9pm.

My only complaint that might keep us from going back was the food. Its a buffet style area with no a/c. We would usually choose to eat outside because it was cooler outside than inside! The outside eating area is nice, but they have a serious stray cat problem! I'd like to say the food was ok, but some nights were just down right terrible. We were never sick, but the food was not appealing; it just wasn't good! Each night they have a different cultural theme to the food, and most of them are just plain awful. Think of what you got when your middle school cafeteria did "oriental day" and that's about it. I basically lived off of breakfast, pizza, and french fries for 7 days. They don't label their food very well -- it just says "fish" or "chicken" but nothing about the sauce its cooked with or other ingredients (this might not be good for people with food allergies). They also seem to cater more towards their European guests, so there were many food items I was unfamiliar with. They do redeem themselves at their 3 specialty restaurants. The problem with these is that you are limited to a certain amount of reservations (for example, we stayed 6 nights and were only allowed to make 2 reservations), and the reservations fill up days in advance so you have to make them before you've figured out what days you want to do excursions.

Entertainment from the staff isn't the greatest. My fiance and I typically take cruises during the summer, where we are used to seeing shows from actual dancers and professional entertainment staff. At Viva, their entertainment staff are young adults that are more like camp counselors. Some of the shows are funny, but some of them just aren't that great because of this difference.

One thing that we didn't expect to encounter was the diversity of the guests at the resort. My fiance and I are American, but we were definitely the minority to the amount of guests that came from Europe - France, Spain, Italy and more! Apparently Viva Wyndham is a joint company between US and Italy--who knew? It was neat to hear all the different languages and read all the different translations. It was difficult however to speak to other guests and at the nightly shows the entertainers basically have to repeat themselves 4 times (each in a different language) so they talk really fast and it's difficult to understand.

Overall we had a great trip. The desk was very helpful in booking our snorkeling and spelunking trips. The drinks were flowing and the bartenders were friendly. All of their staff were great! The only reason I don't give the place a better score is because of food. Food is a big part of an all inclusive resort and the food here was mostly buffet and poor quality.

Room Tip: If you sleep in late and party at night, you might want to ask for a room that is closer to the lobb...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank M W
VivaWyndhamAzteca, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad that your overall appreciation of our Resort, its services and facilities was positive, but regret that not everything was perfect.

We will take your observations into consideration, as they will assist us in our ongoing commitment to improve our services and facilities.

Thank you for publishing your review on TripAdvisor and please remember that we would be delighted to welcome you back.

Best regards,

Viva Wyndham Azteca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
toronto
Reviewed June 27, 2013

In the last 6 weeks I've spend 2 separate weeks at the Azteca. I went back for a reason.

The property is nice and small (not the monster resorts with the carts that take you from point A to point B).
The resort is clean and comfortable. Not stuck up or snobby. You can wear comfortable clothes without feeling the need to over-dress at night (some resorts I've been to people are practically wearing ball gowns for dinner).

The rooms are well air conditioned, have a stocked mini-bar at the beginning of the week, a safe and are clean and comfortable. The beds were totally fine.
Washrooms are spacious and clean with lots of counter space.

Balconies aren't really usable balconies, but I'm not a balcony person anyways!

The pool is a good size and is always clean with something fun happening in or around it.

All staff are exceptionally friendly.

The music is great. Loud, but I like that by the pool on vacation.

The beach is clean, with a lot of space and soft sand. You can walk right out without stepping on sharp rocks.

The dive shop is great. Diana does a wonderful job there!

Beach activities are always going on and a good time.

The catamaran guys are wonderful and it's a great experience if you've never been.

I didn't bother with the a la carte's, and stuck to the buffet. It was ok. Not great. The best night was (not suprisingly) Mexican night. They do have an Italian chef there cooking great pasta, but that's not what I want in Mexico on vacation. There is variety, but I wouldn't say it's extensive or exceptional. Truth be told, I've had better food at other resorts. Nothing to get excited over. Having said that, I never once was ill or spoke to anyone who was ill. The food is ok...just ok.

The animation team and sports team are so much fun. They really treat you nicely, are always joking around with you and make you feel comfortable and 'at home'.

The shows at night are hit and miss. The comedy show is great, as is Moulin Rouge. The Hollywood show is not the greatest. The Mr/Ms Azteca are hilarious.

The bar in the courtyard area is great. Friendly, generous bartenders. It does get crowded before and after evening shows, so getting a seat can be a challenge.

The disco after the show is ok. Hot as hell (no a/c and no air circulation). Great music, but sweaty.

Overall, no - it's not a 5 star. So don't expect a 5 star.
I would say it qualifies as a solid 4 star. What I mean is that it is better than your average resort/hotel (what I would consider a 3 star), has good food (but not great), a great beach, great staff and good rooms (not luxury). It is great value for the price.

Warning:
If you want a 5 star - book at a 5 star.
This is a 4 star, so judge it as a 4 star.
I've been to all of the Azul properties, the Bahia, Occidental, Barcelo, Catalonia etc... so I am a good judge of what is considered 5, 4 and lower.

I would absolutely go back.

Room Tip: As for something near the pool and away from the lobby if you like to go to bed before midnight. The...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank lolarobot
Dear customer,

Thank you for your kind and detailed review of our Resort, its facilities and services.

We are very glad to read that everything corresponded to your expectations and that we were even able to exceed them when it comes to customer orientation and service, which is in fact the greatest compliment a Resort can get.

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic and motivating comments and we assure you that we will try our utmost to make your next visit as enjoyable as the first one.

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Could find nothing wrong. Really enjoyed my stay and wish I could have stayed longer. Only slight annoyance was the loud music by the pool. But thats not something a few margaritas couldn't fix ;) . Good food and drinks friendly staff and a nice little dive shop on site.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank you_seek_yoda
Dear customer,

Thank you so much for your valuable comments on your vacation at Viva Wyndham Azteca. It is very important to us to receive feedbacks and to know that you had a pleasant vacation.

Please remember that we will be glad to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Golden, Colorado
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We decided to get married in Mexico because it would be easier than planning the whole big wedding in our home town. We chose the Viva Wyndham Azteca because they had different wedding packages from very small (which we wanted) to very big. I was amazed at the location, the service and especially the extras for the wedding that I wasn't expecting! Karim Rodriguez was our wedding planner and he was awesome. The wedding was beautiful, I was shocked by the choices of flowers that we were given and he made sure everything went exactly as we wanted.

The resort itself was beautiful. We had adults and kids with us and everyone had a wonderful time. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Becky L
VivaWyndhamAzteca, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an outstanding and excellent review about the Viva Wyndham Azteca on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our beautiful resort and we would like to express our deepest gratitude for choosing our Resort for such a special event. Your kind remarks regarding our staff will be passed on to them.

We would be honored to welcome you back in a near future.

Kind regards.

Kettering, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have just returned from the most fantastic holiday, as always we came on tripadvisor to see what others had written, but please don't believe all the reviews you see, when we arrived we were booked in straight away, when we originally booked our holiday we only booked it for 1 week, but changed it to 2, at a later date, the staff were very helpful and friendly, but had our booking for only 1 week, this was sorted within a day through an email from Virgin Holidays, our room was beautiful and cleaned everyday, with the maid leaving us beautiful towel art every day. We did not sleep that well whilst there, not because of the comfort of the beds, because they were fine, but because of the noise of the air conditioning unit, which you need on because of the humidity, the staff cannot do enough for you neither, would like to say thank you to Olver at the pool bar for making me my cups of tea each morning, and Manuel in the evening for making us all our drinks, I don't know how he does it, he was always busy, but we never had to wait long, there was another bar but we preferred to stay at the pool bar to get the breeze off the sea as it was soooo hot, we made loads of new friends from America, Germany and Canada. I can understand what people were saying through there reviews about the food, we had no problem with it and always found something to eat, in the main buffet restaurant, or the pool bar, we only ate at one of the a la carte restaurants, Bamboo, the Asian one, which was lovely, but I will admit sometimes the food was a little cold, but when you consider how many dishes they are cooking for hundreds of people every day, sometimes this may happen, and after 2 weeks you are bound to get fed up with similar foods, as in all, all inclusive resorts, we absolutely loved it here and would definitely go back again. Well done Viva Wyndham for giving us a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room in block c, as this is near to the reception area, where there is more noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JoG2212
Dear guest,

Thank you for the fantastic review!

It is wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay during such a special occasion. We truly appreciate it when our guests take the time to inform us about their experience at the Viva Wyndham Azteca and we are thrilled to see that yours exceeded your expectations.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back very soon and we thank you for your gracious review.

Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed June 20, 2013

we spent 9 days days with our teenage children. The best thing about this resort? NO TRICKING you into listening to a time share presentation!! We had a fantastic time! Great for all ages! No fee kyaking, catamaran, boogie boards and bicycles every day! Room was extremely clean and well updated, bathroom had large shower (no tub) all beautiful and clean. Also had tennis, ping pong tavles, foos ball and pool. Nightly shows were great, and sports on the beach daily. Buffet food was great (for buffet food) large variety, enjoyed watching staff cook food fresh in front of you, but DEFINATELY take advantage of the free reservations at the on site restauraunts, the sit down 4 course meals were unbelieveable! additional benefit, the Wyndham resort up the street is accessible to you for all activities and restauraunts as well(they are more crowded there though) and they offer archery and a rock wall. Shopping is within walking distance and 5th st shopping we rode bikes to. We would absolutely go back to this hotel!

Room Tip: WE had ground floor garden view, worth it and no noise from upstairs, no elevators, so you will have...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Melissa R
Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family at the Viva Wyndham Azteca during your recent vacations. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities. Our customer’s satisfaction is our constant goal.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Burlington, Canada
Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went to the resort twice. Each for two weeks. Our first trip was with our children, 12 and 8. Very safe, well looked after, manicured property. Our kids could enjoy the resort without being tied to adults all the time. The staff went over and above to ensure we had a forest time.

Second time we went, no kids, but with friends. Again, fantastic! The staff even remembered us! What a pleasant surprise.

I would highly recommend this resort for either families or couples.

Room Tip: Don't go for the ocean view unless this is one of your "musts" in a resort. Standard r...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brad R
Dear guest,

There is no greater compliment than to hear from our guests that their stays are exceptional time and time again.

It is a pleasure to know that our services and facilities met with your expectations.

We look forward to your next stay with us and thank you for your positive review of the Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#52 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Viva Wyndham Azteca? Share your experiences!