“Great, Fun Resort without the Frills: AN HONEST REVIEW”

Ranked #71 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed June 27, 2013

In the last 6 weeks I've spend 2 separate weeks at the Azteca. I went back for a reason.

The property is nice and small (not the monster resorts with the carts that take you from point A to point B).
The resort is clean and comfortable. Not stuck up or snobby. You can wear comfortable clothes without feeling the need to over-dress at night (some resorts I've been to people are practically wearing ball gowns for dinner).

The rooms are well air conditioned, have a stocked mini-bar at the beginning of the week, a safe and are clean and comfortable. The beds were totally fine.
Washrooms are spacious and clean with lots of counter space.

Balconies aren't really usable balconies, but I'm not a balcony person anyways!

The pool is a good size and is always clean with something fun happening in or around it.

All staff are exceptionally friendly.

The music is great. Loud, but I like that by the pool on vacation.

The beach is clean, with a lot of space and soft sand. You can walk right out without stepping on sharp rocks.

The dive shop is great. Diana does a wonderful job there!

Beach activities are always going on and a good time.

The catamaran guys are wonderful and it's a great experience if you've never been.

I didn't bother with the a la carte's, and stuck to the buffet. It was ok. Not great. The best night was (not suprisingly) Mexican night. They do have an Italian chef there cooking great pasta, but that's not what I want in Mexico on vacation. There is variety, but I wouldn't say it's extensive or exceptional. Truth be told, I've had better food at other resorts. Nothing to get excited over. Having said that, I never once was ill or spoke to anyone who was ill. The food is ok...just ok.

The animation team and sports team are so much fun. They really treat you nicely, are always joking around with you and make you feel comfortable and 'at home'.

The shows at night are hit and miss. The comedy show is great, as is Moulin Rouge. The Hollywood show is not the greatest. The Mr/Ms Azteca are hilarious.

The bar in the courtyard area is great. Friendly, generous bartenders. It does get crowded before and after evening shows, so getting a seat can be a challenge.

The disco after the show is ok. Hot as hell (no a/c and no air circulation). Great music, but sweaty.

Overall, no - it's not a 5 star. So don't expect a 5 star.
I would say it qualifies as a solid 4 star. What I mean is that it is better than your average resort/hotel (what I would consider a 3 star), has good food (but not great), a great beach, great staff and good rooms (not luxury). It is great value for the price.

Warning:
If you want a 5 star - book at a 5 star.
This is a 4 star, so judge it as a 4 star.
I've been to all of the Azul properties, the Bahia, Occidental, Barcelo, Catalonia etc... so I am a good judge of what is considered 5, 4 and lower.

I would absolutely go back.

Room Tip: As for something near the pool and away from the lobby if you like to go to bed before midnight. The...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank lolarobot
VivaWyndhamAzteca, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2013

Dear customer,

Thank you for your kind and detailed review of our Resort, its facilities and services.

We are very glad to read that everything corresponded to your expectations and that we were even able to exceed them when it comes to customer orientation and service, which is in fact the greatest compliment a Resort can get.

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic and motivating comments and we assure you that we will try our utmost to make your next visit as enjoyable as the first one.

Viva Wyndham Azteca

Write a ReviewReviews (3,810)

Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

Could find nothing wrong. Really enjoyed my stay and wish I could have stayed longer. Only slight annoyance was the loud music by the pool. But thats not something a few margaritas couldn't fix ;) . Good food and drinks friendly staff and a nice little dive shop on site.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank you_seek_yoda

Dear customer,

Thank you so much for your valuable comments on your vacation at Viva Wyndham Azteca. It is very important to us to receive feedbacks and to know that you had a pleasant vacation.

Please remember that we will be glad to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We decided to get married in Mexico because it would be easier than planning the whole big wedding in our home town. We chose the Viva Wyndham Azteca because they had different wedding packages from very small (which we wanted) to very big. I was amazed at the location, the service and especially the extras for the wedding that I wasn't expecting! Karim Rodriguez was our wedding planner and he was awesome. The wedding was beautiful, I was shocked by the choices of flowers that we were given and he made sure everything went exactly as we wanted.

The resort itself was beautiful. We had adults and kids with us and everyone had a wonderful time. I would definitely recommend this resort to anyone!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Becky L
VivaWyndhamAzteca, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write such an outstanding and excellent review about the Viva Wyndham Azteca on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased to learn that you enjoyed your stay at our beautiful resort and we would like to express our deepest gratitude for choosing our Resort for such a special event. Your kind remarks regarding our staff will be passed on to them.

We would be honored to welcome you back in a near future.

Kind regards.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

We have just returned from the most fantastic holiday, as always we came on tripadvisor to see what others had written, but please don't believe all the reviews you see, when we arrived we were booked in straight away, when we originally booked our holiday we only booked it for 1 week, but changed it to 2, at a later date, the staff were very helpful and friendly, but had our booking for only 1 week, this was sorted within a day through an email from Virgin Holidays, our room was beautiful and cleaned everyday, with the maid leaving us beautiful towel art every day. We did not sleep that well whilst there, not because of the comfort of the beds, because they were fine, but because of the noise of the air conditioning unit, which you need on because of the humidity, the staff cannot do enough for you neither, would like to say thank you to Olver at the pool bar for making me my cups of tea each morning, and Manuel in the evening for making us all our drinks, I don't know how he does it, he was always busy, but we never had to wait long, there was another bar but we preferred to stay at the pool bar to get the breeze off the sea as it was soooo hot, we made loads of new friends from America, Germany and Canada. I can understand what people were saying through there reviews about the food, we had no problem with it and always found something to eat, in the main buffet restaurant, or the pool bar, we only ate at one of the a la carte restaurants, Bamboo, the Asian one, which was lovely, but I will admit sometimes the food was a little cold, but when you consider how many dishes they are cooking for hundreds of people every day, sometimes this may happen, and after 2 weeks you are bound to get fed up with similar foods, as in all, all inclusive resorts, we absolutely loved it here and would definitely go back again. Well done Viva Wyndham for giving us a lovely holiday.

Room Tip: Try not to get a room in block c, as this is near to the reception area, where there is more noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JoG2212

Dear guest,

Thank you for the fantastic review!

It is wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay during such a special occasion. We truly appreciate it when our guests take the time to inform us about their experience at the Viva Wyndham Azteca and we are thrilled to see that yours exceeded your expectations.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back very soon and we thank you for your gracious review.

Reviewed June 20, 2013

we spent 9 days days with our teenage children. The best thing about this resort? NO TRICKING you into listening to a time share presentation!! We had a fantastic time! Great for all ages! No fee kyaking, catamaran, boogie boards and bicycles every day! Room was extremely clean and well updated, bathroom had large shower (no tub) all beautiful and clean. Also had tennis, ping pong tavles, foos ball and pool. Nightly shows were great, and sports on the beach daily. Buffet food was great (for buffet food) large variety, enjoyed watching staff cook food fresh in front of you, but DEFINATELY take advantage of the free reservations at the on site restauraunts, the sit down 4 course meals were unbelieveable! additional benefit, the Wyndham resort up the street is accessible to you for all activities and restauraunts as well(they are more crowded there though) and they offer archery and a rock wall. Shopping is within walking distance and 5th st shopping we rode bikes to. We would absolutely go back to this hotel!

Room Tip: WE had ground floor garden view, worth it and no noise from upstairs, no elevators, so you will have...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Melissa R

Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family at the Viva Wyndham Azteca during your recent vacations. It is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed our services and facilities. Our customer’s satisfaction is our constant goal.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We went to the resort twice. Each for two weeks. Our first trip was with our children, 12 and 8. Very safe, well looked after, manicured property. Our kids could enjoy the resort without being tied to adults all the time. The staff went over and above to ensure we had a forest time.

Second time we went, no kids, but with friends. Again, fantastic! The staff even remembered us! What a pleasant surprise.

I would highly recommend this resort for either families or couples.

Room Tip: Don't go for the ocean view unless this is one of your "musts" in a resort. Standard r...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Brad R

Dear guest,

There is no greater compliment than to hear from our guests that their stays are exceptional time and time again.

It is a pleasure to know that our services and facilities met with your expectations.

We look forward to your next stay with us and thank you for your positive review of the Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

Just back from a week at the Azteca with two girlfriends. This was my second time on Playa del Carmen and my 4th trip to Mexico all inclusive land. Over all a fabulous little resort for the price!

Rooms:
Rooms were very clean and well air conditioned (you can turn the A/C up and down to suit you). Beds were comfortable enough, sheets were a bit rough though. Balconies are small on the 2nd and 3rd floors but we didn't mind. TV has a bunch of Spanish and English channels to choose from if you want to relax in your room. We never heard anyone around us, except for the occasional late night procession of partiers returning home. I brought ear plugs because I am a light sleeper but didn't need to use them.

Food:
They have a buffet and three a la carte restaurants. You have to make reservations for the a la carte restaurants, I recommend planning your stay and make the reso's right away as they fill up fast. We all really enjoyed the Mayan and the Italian but didn't try the Japanese restaurant. I don't like buffet's in general, but my friends seemed satisfied and I managed to find something to eat there too. The have delicious fresh doughnuts in the morning that we all loved! Our only complaint, and biggest complaint about the resort overall is that the buffet has no A/C. I could barley stand being in there and may have enjoyed the food there if I wasn't dripping with sweat every time I walked in.

Drinks:
The usual watered down booze that most resorts offer...or maybe I don't tip enough. Beer on tap was fine. I only drink dark beers and wine so my review is based on my personal preference. Table wine was absolutely disgusting, again as with most Mexican resorts also. I purchased wine at the a la carte restaurants which was the best drinks I had at the resort by far.

Entertainment:
We took in a few of the shows put on by the entertainment staff and were actually impressed and very entertained! After the show on our first night there was dancing in the lounge and we all had a total blast. The entertainment staff goes round to gather people for day time activities, they'll keep asking if you do a few activities, but will leave you alone if they can tell your not into it.

Beach:
The nicest beach I have ever stayed at. We were out around 11am each day and had no trouble getting a lounger on the beach. Was a bit harder to get one under a cabana but we always managed.

Location:
Just a beautiful 20 minute beach walk into Playa, or a $7US cab ride.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Kathryn E

Dear customer,

Thank you for publishing your positive review on TripAdvisor.

We work every day with the commitment to provide a quality service to all of our guests. It is a joy to hear that we achieved our constant goal in your recent visit to our property.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Best regards,