“Had a lot of fun!”

Ranked #71 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Montreal, Canada
“Had a lot of fun!”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

We were a group of 6 young adults and we shared two rooms. Rooms were very clean, spacious. The buffet was good, a lot of choices everyday, different themes at night. A la carte restaurants were OK, italian was the best of the three. Beach is really nice, a few minutes from the room. Snack bar open late. A lot of choices for drinks. Staff was fun, a lot of activities offered during the day (catamaran, kayak, volleyball, stretching, aquagym, spanish lessons, various contests). We had a really great week!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank edelarosbil
VivaWyndhamAzteca, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your friends at Viva Wyndham Azteca during your recent vacations.

It is a pleasure to know that you were able to enjoy our services and facilities. Our customer’s satisfaction is our constant goal and knowing we reached this goal in your recent stay is very rewarding for all our hard working staff members. We will pass along your kind comments.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Viva Wyndham Azteca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
La Prairie, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2013

We were a group of 4 staying at the Azteca. 2 x 50year old women and my sons 2 x 25year men. This place was great. Small so that it would only take you 5 minutes to go from the beach to the bar, or to the restaurant or to your room. Food was excellent from the "a la carte" restaurants (in both Viva hotels) to the buffet, although the resto-bar by our pool served the same meal every day. We were allowed 3 "a la carte" meal but with a little tip, we were able to go to 5 restaurants in the same week. People are very friendly and polite and the place is immaculate. They are constantly cleaning the place during the day and at night. The beach is beautiful. The hotel is 20m walk to Playa Del Carmen and 5 minutes walk from the Maya where there is a nice shopping center right in front.

The animation is great. They call on you to participate in everything but go away if you are not interested. My sons (nicknamed "team Québec") really enjoyed the beach volley ball.

From the point of view of two different generation, everybody loved this hotel and would not hesitate to return.

The only negative comment we had was that a lot of people wanted to change rooms for some reason, whether their room smelled, or was noisy or did not get a good view. It seems that half of the rooms are either facing the pool, beach and gardens and the other half is facing the other hotels. Our room was facing the other hotels which was fine, the only problem was it was also facing their generator which was very noisy. During the day, it didn't matter but at night, it prevented us from sleeping with the patio door open.

The other negative comment was that the hallway are very noisy. We can hear everything that is being said when people are walking by. The rooms are also noisy. Let's just hope your neighbor are discreet.

The frige does not get replenished. Use your empty water bottle and refill them at the water pump where you have clean water.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms facing the interior, in sections 1000 or 2000. (3000 are near the theater and is very...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank diane_leboeuf
VivaWyndhamAzteca, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, May 24, 2013
Dear customer,

Thank you for publishing your positive review on TripAdvisor.

Our continuous commitment is to provide quality service to all off our guests. Therefore it is very rewarding receiving your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. Please be sure that your comments will be taken into consideration as they will assist us to continue improving.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Best regards,

Berkeley, California
Reviewed May 7, 2013

A friend and I bought a Living Social Voucher for 5 nights at Vivia Wyndham Azteca and were very excited to take a summer trip together for the first time in years. We made a reservation, mentioned the living social voucher, got the dates we wanted and were all in all very pleased. We bought our plane tickets. 3 weeks later, I get a call from the woman who made my reservation saying it had been cancelled because she wasn't allowed to make reservations with Living Social vouchers -- which, when I made the reservation she said it was fine "just present the voucher at the resort upon arrival" -- so I had to call the resort directly and make the reservation with them.

I call the resort -- I'm told I have to email them to make a reservation.

My friend emails them -- our dates are no longer avialable. We look online, plenty of rooms to reserve for our dates. Wth? We call customer service.....this is where it gets bad (as if it's not bad enough). We explain our problem - they ask for 3 days to research things and sort it out. 6 days go by... we get anxious, our reservation is only a month away, so we call again. I'm connected with a supervisor who doesn't seem to know how things work because I'm given incorrect information AGAIN.

She called the resort who said they have seperate rooms for reservation online and cannot apply our Living Social voucher to them - when I argue that the rooms available online are being sold for cheaper than what we paid for Living Social so they would be making an extra $50 by letting us have one of those rooms, I'm still told no. But the Mayay next door has our dates available, we can email them and stay there. This whole time I' thinking "Why am I doing all the work for a reservation that YOU guys screwed up??"

In any case, I email them, response one day later is OUR DATES ARE NOT AVAILABLE. I reply saying I was told the dates are available by customer service and I would like to speak with a manager. I get a very trite reply of "My manager knows. We don't have those dates available."

I very angrily call customer service, then after being transfered to ANOTHER supervisor, I re-explain the situation. We just wanted our original reservation that we made and had confirmed - why is that so hard to do??? I'm told to email the original confirmation number of the reservation I made before anything can move forward -- why wasn't I asked for this in the first place when I called a week before??

We get a call saying our case has been closed and to call Customer Service. They can "get me my original dates" if I pay for them again. WHAT?!?!? I've paid almost $700 already, I'm not paying another $650 for a room that I apparently overpaid for in the first place!!!! The woman helping me finally agrees that that's a bit ridiculous and says they will refund the money after my stay. Which means I still have to cough up $650 extra dollars to them and then deal with the paperwork afterwards to get it back. I ask for this in writing. Exhausted from 2 weeks of calling and emails and bad service, I just want the dates secured for our trip so I agree to pay now and be refunded after. Begrudgingly.

This trip was supposed to be a care-free, relaxing vacation, and quickly became a nightmare. And I haven't even gone on it yet! If you think you will have a seamless trip, stay with Wyndham. Just don't expect any help from anyone if they screw up your reservation. I've never had a worse Customer Service experience in my life.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Lindsay B
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your comments and the time you invested in writing us. We sincerely value your comments and we can assure you that our Management has been informed about your unpleasant experience and observations.

We look forward to welcoming you to our hotel and we assure you that we will do our utmost to provide you with the best possible experience in our hotel. We consider the satisfaction of our clients our primary goal and we certainly hope that you will have an unforgettable stay.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at the Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Reviewed May 1, 2013

At first I was really on the defense about this hotel because of some reviews but honestly I am so impressed ! It's not a 5 star and does not have modern decor but if you are all about relaxing nd have fun then this is the place !!i am very picky when it comes to food nd cleanliness so trust me I was doubting ! He rooms are Clean , they do not smell lol the staff in incredible , they are very hard working :) hotel is close to 5th avenue so it is great that you cn walk,drink and shop . I want to go back :( ! Do not hesitate ,BOOK !!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Mcaps90
VivaWyndhamAzteca, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear customer,

We sincerely appreciate your positive review about your vacation at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

The most important goal to us is to provide our guests with a great vacation experience. We are glad to know that we have achieved this.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon at our Resort.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Best regards,

canada
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at the Azteca a few times and hope to get a great deal and return in Dec...have not been to that side of Mexico for a few yrs... We have only one complaint ..Loud music by pool for too long of a period...Food ..staff..clean...small resort .. area ...great...Have recommended the resort to friends and they were as happy with the resort as we were....
A question..We stayed in rooms facing the gardens... Did not know there were rooms with balconies ???
I do have photos and one day should work on posting them... :)
btw
Have to select dates of travel before posting...hard to do as we have been there a few times..will just check one off although the date is not correct...Dec. is the times we have been there though ....

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank catnhat
Dear guest,

There is no greater compliment than to hear from our loyal guests that their stays at our hotel are exceptional time and time again.

We look forward to your next stay with us and thank you for your positive review of the Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Plainfeld NJ
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I booked this resort for a long weekend with my wife, and having read about the prior guest's problems with reservations not being honored, and being offered a stay at the Maya, I thought I would take proactive steps to avoid this. I called a week and then 2 days before our arrival and was told that our reservation was in the system, but when we got in late on Friday, we were told that the place was 100% booked, and we could get an ocean view room at the Maya up the street. After arguing, we were offered VIP bracelets, and an ocean front room of our choice. We took the offer, so I will continue my review for the Wyndham Maya, which I thought was great.

The VIP bracelets allowed us to eat in the separate buffet dining room, which had table cloths and quick drink wait service. We also had our choice of beach seating, inside the VIP section.

The service was always great. The restaurants were very good. The Maya is clean. The staff was friendly.

We dined once at the Azteca, and it seemed smaller, and a step up in style of furniture and layout, but I did not feel as if I was staying at a lesser place at the Maya.

Overall our 5 days were quiet and relaxing. I am actually glad we were bumped to the other resort.

My only complaint is that the Maya only has Dos Eqqes light on tap, while the Azteca had the dark beer offered as well. Still, this is a small detail.

I do not know if the silver bracelets are offered to everyone they bump, or if it was just to appease us. Either way I would stay at the Maya again even without the VIP bracelet

Room Tip: Give a good first tip to the beach waitress and you will have great service all day
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Doug K
VivaWyndhamAzteca, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Azteca, responded to this review, April 26, 2013
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your review with other travelers on TripAdvisor.

We are very happy to know we have achieved our goal of offering you a memorable stay at our Viva Wyndham Maya Resort.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back very soon and we thank you for your gracious review.

upstate new york
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Once again I led a group trip to the Riviera Maya. We usually stay at the Viva Maya, but this time we stayed at the Azteca because of a special they were running.

The Azteca is a smaller hotel, located on the white sands of the Playa del Carmen beach. It is very nice, but nothing exceptional. The rooms are nice, clean, spacey and ample, with minibar/fridge in each room. The bathrooms are large and accommodating. The maid service is wonderful.

The amenities at the Azteca are good. Again, nothing struck me as exceptional. There are three on-sight specialty restaurants. We did have occasion to visit LA BAMBOO, and although the food was good, it was not great. Our water, Mario, was great tho'! We also ate at the Xul Ha, the maya restaurant on the property. Good, not great! The buffet at the Azteca is good, ample, and had a nice, but not exceptional, variety.

The service at the Azteca is very good. Some of the bartenders appear to not like their job, but for the most part, the staff is polite, accommodating, and helpful. The front desk personnel at the Azteca is fabulous. There is no request too big or too small for those folks. Edgar and Carolina especially were very helpful!

The entertainment at the Azteca is ok...nothing fancy or exceptional...notice the trend? The folks who run the daily entertainment in the form of the games, dance lessons, etc., are wonderful (I especially appreciated Oscar's forgiving nature when I was trying to do the Bachata). They smile and crack jokes, they are just fun folks. This is something that I, as a group leader, appreciate. All members of my group were entertained and made to smile numerous times during the trip!

There is only one pool at the Azteca. The music at the pool is very loud. The grounds are impeccably clean...

The strengths at this hotel are its personnel, cleanliness and its location. I see no apparent weakness. It's just not exceptional!

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are just as wonderful as the ocean view rooms but ask for one with a balcony! Som...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Joanne T
Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your group at Viva Wyndham Azteca during your recent vacations.

We very much appreciate receiving feedback from our guests, and we will be certain to pass along your kind praise to our staff. Furthermore we are glad that your overall appreciation of our Resort, its services and facilities was positive.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
#7 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#52 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Viva Wyndham Azteca? Share your experiences!