“Great Location Clean Fantastic Beach Would Recommend”
Review of Viva Wyndham Maya

Ranked #87 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed August 9, 2009

HOTEL OVERVIEW: our ROOM We were sceduled in the new buiilding no. 3 but did not wish to stay on a 3rd floor and seemed far from the beach so the staff was very curtious and changed our reservation to another location, mid way between block no. 3 and the beach, the room number 2272 near lobby and a short distance to beach, quiet and very well kept we had to explain some days why we did not want our room cleaned since we stayed there for 14 days and did not wish to have the room done everyday seams too much and did not wish to change towels everyday since we are concious of our planet. The air conditionner and tv worked fine, we had a small technical problem with the latch on the backroom door wich was fixed right away, speedy and fast!
BEACH: WONDERFUL WHITE SAND and super warm ocean a bit of sea weed it's not a pool, it's natural was great, with the sand barriers the ocean is very calm and relaxing even if they had the red fly almost all the time up.
FOOD; Found the buffet very Ok, we always eat good meals varied and tasty and the specialty restaurants at the Maya and Azteka are also very good and what a 5 star service.
STAFF; Very friendly and helpful.
TOURS; Too expensive at the hotel or with Sunwing, go to the plaza right in front of the hotel ask for Angel but they all seem quite good. We did the Extreme Coba adventure and loved it, Tulum & Xel-ha fantastic nice ruine site as well as good scnorkling, Chichenitza the 7th world wounder deserves a detour! Do not forget to walk 10 minutes from the hotel to see the local Playacar ruines nice walk and by then you can reach the beach and are in Playa del Carmen! Also the bird sanctuary is worth a small visit if you have the time.
We were in the vacinity 20 years ago but Tulum is much nicer now and we were very pleased with our trip.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank SUEBIDOUX
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Director at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 17, 2009

Dear customer,

I really appreciate your review published on Trip Advisor. It gives us great pleasure to read your comments due to our staff put a lot of effort into their job every day and our clients’ satisfaction is our reward.

Please do not forget that Viva Wyndham Maya will be pleased to receive you again to provide you an excellent vacation.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 8, 2009

I just returned from a vacation with my two daughters in their twenties. I read lots of reviews and looked at many photos before going. First off, the food was awful. We lived on fries and chicken from the pool snack bar. We are not picky eaters but the food at the buffet was totally tasteless. We figured that they have to cater to so many nationalities that they don't season the food. Presentation is good but no taste. We met quite a few people and that was the major complaint amongst all of them. Also, the buffet restaurant is so hot you lose your appetite. We ate at Miramar one night and it was so-so. Service was good.
The rooms. We stayed in a room close to the beach and pool and were very satisfied with the location. Our friends stayed in the new building(3) and although their room was much nicer it was very far to walk especially in the heat. Our tv didn't work very well(which we watched at night and when we needed to get out of the sun for a while)and the bed was extremely hard and the pillows were very flat. I asked for softer pillows the third morning and they were delivered in a timely fashion. Much better but still not as nice as the newer building. Also, be aware that if you're travelling during the summer months, the humidity is awful. I come from Texas, and I'm used to some but not like Mexico. I couldn't sleep very well because the airconditioner in the room keeps coming on after a few minutes. It is loud like others have mentioned in previous reviews. At first it wasn't so bad, but after a couple of days it wears on you. Room was kept clean and the housekeeping staff was terrific. I was happy though that we were very close to everything.
The beach. I have to say that the beach was awesome and the water was wonderful. I did get up very early to save a palapa and have coffee in the morning. The cappucinos at the beach bar were the best along with the pastries they put out first thing. If you don't save a place in the shade, you will have a hard time in the sun. Many people got sunburned their first day and were miserable. My advice is to use waterbabies sunblock as we do(we are hispanic and still tan through it) so as not to ruin your vacation. Our friends used ours since it worked better than the sport sunblock. I was kind of disappointed with the staff, that they didn't come to the beach to announce activities at the pool but they work very hard and are all very nice. The pool was very, very warm so only used it a couple of times. Also, if you like the pool better than the beach the chairs get taken up quickly so get down early. Be aware that some of the people who stay here don't think that they should wait in line. Very rude and treat staff badly. Bartenders good but sometimes understaffed. The shows were fun for me and my daughter, kind of cheesy as others have said, but I appreciate the kids who put them on. They work so hard during the day and then at night they have to perform in the shows. I think they do a great job. Met a few of them and they are so kind and upbeat and always have a smile on their faces.
Playa. A word to the wise. Buy your souvenirs and liquor the first day into playa. I kept putting it off and spent way too much on taxis. Just get it out of the way and leave it in the room. Also, if you smoke, buy your cigs at the duty free in your airport(don't have many brands in Mexico) and you will not have to buy there. Very cheap at duty free. Lots of vendors in the market yelling at you. Just ignore. Playamart by McDonalds had good prices on trinkets and prescription meds.
Excursions. Selvetica ziplining was fun. The snorkeling was pretty good but not great. Our best meal was at a restaurant in Puerto Morelos where we caught a boat to snorkel. Awesome food and service. I bought the excursion in Playa thinking I'd save some money, but I paid 90.00 dollars instead of 95.00. Didn't save since I paid the taxi ten bucks. Don't waste your time. Buy online. Also, I used USA transfers from airport(private) and it was only 105.00 dollars round trip for three. Excellent service. Ask for Javier. He's the best. Get a private car for a few hours and he will take you to the best places. I wish I would have done this as I hired a taxi for akumal and yal ku for snorkelling and it was bad. Heard so much and was very disappointed. Apparently Javier knows places where the water is so clear. I saw his pictures. Give him a try. All in all, ok vacation but I've had better. Would not stay here again. By the way, I'm a wyndham resorts owner. Another warning. My friend fell on a whale, (sandbag) in front of another hotel, and she was on the beach for an hour. Neither hotel wanted to take responsibility for the mishap.It was an accident, but she broke her leg and was in a lot of pain and neither would call an ambulance. Luckily, there were doctors on beach as guests who helped, but please be aware. This is Mexico. They really don't want to help you. I was very dismayed with the Maya, being a Wyndham hotel that they didn't offer much help. I am going to write a letter to Corporate on their behavior.

• Stayed: July 2009

Dear Customer,

Thank you for the time you have invested in writing your feedback about your last visit to the Mayan Riviera.

We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

Please accept a sincere apology for not have being able to fulfill your expectations. I can assure you that your comments and observations will be seriously considered and we will share them with the involved departments.

We remain at your disposal.

Reviewed August 7, 2009

Just returned from the Maya....

First of all I was there with my wife and my two girls age 16 and 13 and
if sombody is thinking about going to the Viva Maya or not I can say go there!

You will be satisfied for sure!

But here some details:

We stayed there 2 weeks, already second (2007) time at the Maya and 2 times before at the Azteca (2000+2001).

When I think that the Maya was closed 6 weeks before and it wasn`t fully booked due to the swine flue we had a great time there. But I had some minor complains as well.

They don´t offer the breakfast at poolside anymore. This was for me a great advantage 2 years ago, due to my girls and I are divers.

When you get up early it was great to have a coffee and a small breakfast at the pool close to the diving center. This time we ha to go a long way to the restaurant to have breakfast. Not that fine than before.

And I think many guests prefered that "small" breakfast at the pool instead of going to the restaurant.

The Animation Crew tried to do their best also when showing the shows in the evening. But compared to the crew 2 years ago they were not that good even when Marcos and Marco are still there or again.

This might be also because they were not at full strength at beginnig of vacation, but anyhow what we saw there 2 years ago cannot be topped. Sorry Emin!!

Beside that the rooms were clean, staff was very friendly and helpful nothing to worrry about.

Great drinks all day, very good food which changes every day. Perfect!!!

Disco closes for "kids" up to 18 usually at midnight. Then the green bands got "throwed out". This was the only complaint by my girls. For me it was ok, so they come home latest at 1.00 AM.

And again, we had a geat vacation!!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank rodgauman

Dear Customer,

Thank you so much for being a loyal customer to Viva Wyndham Maya. Nothing can be more gratifying than read that you and your family enjoyed a pleasant stay at our property and we want to thank you for recommending us in this important forum.

Also we appreciate your observations about our services, they will be seriously considered.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Azteca.

Reviewed August 7, 2009

Well...i felt I needed to clarify many reviews I read on this site and give you the real low-down on this hotel.

Overall impression: Value for money can't be beat! Maybe because of the H1N1 scare, I was able to book this hotel for just over $1000 which included the single supplement as I travelled alone. However, in the running as choices for my vacation in the same price range were Cayo Coco, Cuba & Punta Cana, D.R. but my thought process was the following. Cuba= off-season..thus food situation may be grim as I have been to 5 star in Cuba at the beginning of low-season and food availability drops thus less choice. Dominican= beaches not so nice.

ROOMS: Well, here is what I figured out on this. There are 3 building blocks (1000, 2000, 3000). 1&2 buildings right down by beach on the lower part of the property near the main party pool, snack bar & theatre. Builing 3000 up near entrance, fitness centre, buffet restaurant & adult/quiet pool. Pros & cons of each:
1000/2000: PROS-right on beach, nice view, near all the action. CONS-Rundown, older, loud AC wall units, louder area.
3000: PROS-Newer, larger granite bathrooms with separate walk-in shower, jetted tub which is visable from bedroom., next to quiet pool. CONS: 4 minute walk to beach through resort, doors(locked) which connect to adjacent room thus sound travels easier.
I stayed in room 3309...third floor overlooking the pool. Nice room..all tile, Look..we are new amenities...but lets be honest..we are in Mexico here..so although it is newer..finishing is not the greatest. Ex. Instead of wood trim around something..they caulk. I had a problem with the hot water my first day (which I later managed to figure out) so I had asked to be changed to diff building. When I heard the other buildings were older and run down I stayed. NOTE: when need hot water, turn on all hot taps and wait till hot water arrives..then do what you have to.

FITNESS centre: Acceptable facilities...damn hot...sweat just standing there..great way to lose weight.lol Needs more cardio equipment.

STAFF: Except for slow check-in during our arrival at 3 am, staff was great. I had complaint about someone peaking through crack of door from next room, they came right away and moved the wood door molding over to cover crack and nailed it in place to cover gap. NOTE: if you stay in building 3, because they have joining rooms, this is where the place groups & families. If you don't want adjoining rooms, ask for garden room view..this side does not have joining rooms BUT view not so nice.

SCUBA centre: Great staff..great programs! I recommend trying the free Scuba lessons in the party pool in the afternoons. If you haven't done it....it is a great experience. I also recommend going out diving because the reefs are amazing as you border Cozumel. If you don't want to SCUBA dive, they offer snorkeling....for a great price. Go experience the aquatic life..incredible! Helpful staff..Frank, Licho, Emi, Israel, Ana.... Tell 'em James from Montreal, Canada recommended you visit them (might get you a bit of savings..)

FOOD: Quality was good...a la carte restaurants were good..good service. No complaints.

POOLS & BEACH: Quiet pool...I loved. Not crowded, bar not busy, no kids & loud music. Main pool, loud music, games, noise, kids. Beach..very nice, water amazing, clean.

FINAL thoughts: Here are a few lessons I learned while there. Don't be intimidated to take a taxi anywhere..usually 50-70 pesos will do it (this is very safe). Go to Wal-mart for all your needs including cheap alcohol (by taxi), Go to Playa del carmen as soon as possible in your stay..you will realize how great it is (nightlife beats the pathetic on-site disco), visit CocoBongo one night to see a show, tip your room maid once at the beginning...you will always have water, cola, beer in your fridge (I gave $15 usd), experience Scuba or snorkeling once, don't be afraid to rent a car (in playa del carmen for the day and drive to Tulum ruins...short-safe trip which you do on your own schedule for less $, building 3000 is where you want to be, don't leave food/sweet drinks out over night in room...little tiny harmless bugs will find it...thus no food out..no bugs, be patient with slow internet, OH YEAH...on weekends, I was told they rent available rooms to locals...so it gets busy fri&sat..good time to practice spanish.

If you have specific questions..message me & I will try answering them.

NOW GO BOOK YOUR VACATION!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled solo
3  Thank Montreal2125

Dear Customer,

We appreciate your sincere feedback on your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Maya. We would like to thank you for the time you have invested writing you impression about our Resort.

Your positive comments are the reward for the job that our staff does every day.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 3, 2009

My family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids ages 17,13,12) stayed at this hotel from 7/25 - 7/30. It's an average resort at best. As the saying goes, you get what you pay for. The staff was great and the food was good. Enough for everyone to find something they like. We stayed in rooms 1111 and 1113 which were extremely close to the pool. The bathroom in 1111 needed a serious upgrade and there are no dressers to store your clothes. I would recommend bringing your own linen if possible. I stayed in room 1111 and ended up with bug bites all over my legs (about 30 bites). Not sure if they were mosquito or bed bug bites. The hotel is very small with everthing in walking distance which worked out for us because it allowed the kids to wander without going too far. The bartenders are great!! Drinks were strong. The beach was beautiful. We didn't have much problem with getting chairs but I would recommend once you have one to keep your towel there all day. The evening shows were entertaining but a little corny.
Be careful of the time share workers in the outside lobby of the hotel. Besides the bugs, that was the only real turnoff.
Not sure I would recommend the hotel to anyone else but if you're already booked just be prepared for some of the things mentioned on the message boards and you shouldn't be disappointed. We wanted something inexpenisive where we could relax and have a nice time and that's what we got.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank y4son

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments on your recent family vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya.

I can assure that all of our clients’ opinions are very important to us because it is the more reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

We appreciate your good comments about our staff and food.

We hope that you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Viva Wyndham Resorts.

Reviewed August 3, 2009

I read a lotta reviews on this site before heading to viva wydham maya.. and thus, went with low expectations. It is what it is basically. There's nothing wrong with it per se, but theres nothing fantastic about it either.

Hotel room -- nice enough. It's clean, and that was good enough for me. The ac was working! and the room wasn't too small. (similar to when I went to DR, but not nearly as big as the grand oasis in cancun.. just to give an idea to those who know how big that resort room is).

Resort -- fairly small!! There's apparently two pools, but only ever saw one. The beach is right there and we were lucky to get a room right on the beach.. which was nice. But again, the resort is very small! There isn't that much to do. But if you're there for the beach, you're in good shape.

The resort has a spa, a souvenir gift shop, a "club" -- though mainly for teens, 3 restaurants (see below), an internet cafe (really cheap), a place with a few hammocks, and a nice sitting area near the lobby (only sit after the sun sets, too hot before that!)

Attactions -- bc its SO close to the "town" -- if you wanna go out, its essentially RIGHT THERE! so that works out well. So, although there isn't much to do in the resort itself, things are nearby.

Restaurants -- heres the big minus part! so theres 3 restaurants (although you can eat at their sister resort, Viva Wyndham Aztec), and the snack bar (open 24 hours). We were there for 3 nights, 4 days and could not get reservations to ANY of the restaurants (including the sister resort) on the first two days we tried. They were booked.. finally were able to get one restaurant in before the trip ended. MAJOR negative point! If you cant make reservations at a hotel JUST AS SOON AS YOU CHECK IN, then that really sucks! If you're always full, how am I suppose to get my money's worth? I hated that!

Staff -- friendly, but a lil bit slow on the reception end.

The beach was nice, but really small.. all in all, it was OK at best. I wouldnt stay there again, but if you are not fussy, then it serves its purpose. I had a better stay at the Grand Oasis in Cancun so I think my head was filled with the hope of the resort being at least that size (which btw wasnt that big to begin with either). I like spacious resorts. =O)

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank Anjani6898

Dear Customer,

We appreciate the time dedicated to write your feedback on your last visit to the Mayan Riviera.

It is very important that we hear from our costumers, your opinion about our services is valuable and it will be considered to improve our daily operation. We regret for any inconvenience that you might have experienced.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed August 1, 2009

I read mixed reviews before our trip so I was not sure how it would be! It was perfect, hated to leave. We ate every meal at the buffet or the ocean bar and had a good meal every time. Staff was friendly, and very attentive. We drank, ate and relaxed, which was our plan. Bed was nice with fluffy sheets and bedspread, clean and comfortable.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
4  Thank santoraas
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Director at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2009

Dear Customer,

It is a pleasure to read a positive feedback as yours. All of our staff works every day to provide to all of our guests an excellent service. It is a satisfaction to receive your compliment and it encourages us to continue exceeding our clients’ expectations.

Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Maya. Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at any time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
#103 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Viva Wyndham Maya? Share your experiences!