“Fantastic vacation”
Review of Viva Wyndham Maya

Ranked #88 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed April 23, 2009

My friend and I stayed at the Viva Wyndham Maya last week and we had a wonderful time. The hotel was more than we expected as we got a last minute deal. I had checked the reviews and we knew things would be good at least. But we were very pleasantly surprised. My friend has cerebral palsy and we required a wheelchair for the week. We had requested an accessible room and we received it. Not only was our room accessible, but the entire resort was accessible. This is a rare thing in my friend's experience. Also the staff were incredibly helpful any time we needed any assistance for her. Thank you to all those who are so helpful.

We also enjoyed the food very much. The à la carte restaurants have delicious food and great service. The buffet was also quite good and had a pretty wide variety to choose from. The entire resort was very clean. Our room was in an older section but it was still very clean. Staff were constantly cleaning the common areas.

All the hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. We made several new friends among the entertainment staff. That entire group is a fabulous group of people! Very talented and very friendly. We enjoyed the evening shows also. The only thing I would have liked to see that I did not was a Mexican themed show. My friend had never visited Mexico before and I know she would have enjoyed that.

We also really appreciated the adult pool as there was a lot of action and noise around the main pool. It's great to have the choice of where to relax.

Overall I want to say that this is a great place to stay, for singles or for families and I have been telling everyone about our fantastic vacation. I hope to come back to Viva Wyndham Maya in the future!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank Nyxee
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Director at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2009

Dear Customer,

I would like to thank you for your review published on Trip Advisor. It is really important to us to receive positive feedback as yours, and we are glad to know that we exceeded your expectations during your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Maya. Our customer’s satisfaction is our constant goal.

It will be a pleasure to receive you again at Viva Wyndham Maya.

There are newer reviews for Viva Wyndham Maya

Reviewed April 22, 2009

You are paying for the beach and pool. They were the only things that made this place nice. Everything else is average and the food is below average. We had to go into town to get a decent meal. I am not a pickey eater. This food was bad!! Sometimes some of the food smelled. A lot of the food is unhealthy (greasy, tasteless). It looked like they tried to have a lot of food at a cheap price, therefore it was low quality, yucky food. I would only recommend this place if you don't care about food.

1  Thank sm231100
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Director at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2009

Dear Customer,

We appreciate the time dedicated to write your feedback regarding your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya. We do appreciate hearing from our customers, as their comments are vital for us to continue improving our accommodations.

Your remarks about the food in our Resort will be seriously considered to improve this service. We are sorry for any inconvenience or annoyance that you might have experienced during your last visit with us.

Thank you again for your comments. We hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.

Reviewed April 20, 2009

I have to start by saying that all the information below is for the room that I myself stayed in. I know for a fact that my family and I were staying in the older rooms of the resort, whereas the newer rooms were said to be much more comfortable and luxurious.
Although I had trouble with my room, the resort itself was great. It was clean and the beach was just gorgeous; except for those huge sand bags in the water. You get used to them after a while! I never had a problem finding a chair; they had in abundance. There were employees that would come around every so often to pick up empty cups and plates so that the beach area was sanitary. In my one week of vacation, I witnessed 3 weddings! It was beautiful.
The hotel was spacious with many sitting areas and places to take a little promenade and admire the sights around you. I saw some animals that I've never seen before. The flowers were beautiful; really something nice to look at. If you like vegetation, you will like this resort.
As for the food, it was very enjoyable. Not quite top of the notch. The fish was excellent, as well as the pasta. Often I had to check if the meat was cooked well enough; often it was not. All in all there was a lot of variety, certainly enough for all kinds of different tastes. The service was extremely good as well.
My favourite part of Viva Wyndham would have to be the staff. Everyone was so friendly and willing to be of help. I particularly liked the animators. They get very involved with the guests and they are all easy to get along with. There are plenty of activities and games organized for people of all ages. The animators often came on the beach to yell out what game they were going to play or what dance lesson they were going to give for all to hear and join in. They even came with trays of fruits on the beach to offer to the guests. As for the evening entertainment; most of the shows were fun to watch. There was one show I did not enjoy at all. I though it was exceedingly sexual. I actually got up to leave. It made me a little angry that they would put on a show like that when there were so many children watching.
So this is for the resort itself. As for my room, it's a completely different story.
I'll begin with the bathroom. The bathtub had a little spot with old toothpaste in it. The drain did not work too well, so by the end of my shower I was standing a foot deep in water.
Now for the room. My first impression when I walked in was old and rusty. I was disappointed that there was no radio. My safe did not work. When I hit the light switch the lights twitched so I didn't know if they would just burn out in any given moment. The worst part of the room, however, was the bed. It had a concrete base. It was stiff as a board, just like my neck the next morning. Sometimes the person who cleaned the room didn't leave towels so I would have to call the front desk and have some sent over. The biggest hassle was to get into my room. Not just I but many people on my floor has problems. My card stopped working on the second day, and starting from then it took forever to get into my room. Throughout the week I visited the front desk multiple times to have my card "re-charged" which didn't help the matter. Finally someone came to change the battery. It helped, but I still had problems getting into my room afterwards. On my last night, I left an empty glass on the desk in my room, and when I came back after the show, it was covered with ants. I don't know where they came from because I checked my patio door and it was shut and locked tight! At least the air-conditioning was working well.
So if you can manage to get yourself in the newer rooms, your stay will be much more enjoyable, I am certain. Although my room was the way it was, I eventually got used to it, and it would not prevent me from going back to this resort.

1  Thank TravelLover036
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Director at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2009

Dear Customer,

Thank you for sharing with us your comments regarding your vacations at Viva Wyndham Maya. Our commitment with all of our clients is to exceed their expectations. For this reason your observations and suggestions are valuables, they give us the opportunity to know which services and facilities we can improve.

Again thank you for choosing to stay with us and we hope that you will give us another chance to serve you.

Reviewed April 18, 2009

My boyfriend and I just got back from the Viva Wyndham Maya and loved it.
The resort itself is in a fantastic location, Playacar. Its a 25 minute walk to the town
of Playa del Carmen, which is like a big flea market but prettier. Playacar is a gated
community so no problem walking along the streets at night. Besides resorts there are
also lots of private homes and condos in Playacar.
HERE ARE ALL THE POSITIVES:
BUFFET: Plentiful and very good.
A LA CARTE: Fantastic especially the mediteranian restaurant.
STAFF: Super friendly and very accomidating (even the front desk)
LOCATION: One of the best beaches in the area and the hotel is very green and lush.
ROOMS: Very clean and large although they could use a little renovating.
BEACH: Beautiful and clean.
HERE ARE THE NEGATIVES:
POOLS: Could be cleaned a little better, dirty ring around the adult pool and jacussi.
ENTERTAINMENT: Great nightly shows, but it would be nice to see more mexican culture in a show.
POOLS CHAIRS: Reserved with towels as early as 5 am, why! Especially if the chairs are left empty all day.
We also went swimming with the Dophins at Peurto Aventuro. It was an amazing experience that everyone should try at least once.
Overall, we loved our vacation and would recommend this resort to all.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JoecatMontreal
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Director at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2009

Dear Customer,

We appreciate your review on your recent vacations with us. Your positive remarks are valuables because they give us the opportunity to know that we are providing a good service. Also your observations help us to continue improving our services and facilities.

Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Maya on Trip Advisor. We will be more than happy to receive you again in the Mayan Riviera to make of your vacation a great experience.

Reviewed April 17, 2009

The staff was very friendly and accomodating, the location was excellent, beach was very clean, room was large and comfortable. This is a great location for families - they have a trapeze on the property where the kids, and adults, can learn and practice. They have a large beach, which many of the hotels in the area are lacking. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Lots of activities. Very safe.

Only downside - by the fourth day, we were very tired of the dining room - there was very little variety in the evening meal. There was always plenty and something for everyone, but the dishes changed very little from day to day. Breakfast was definitely the best. Also, the dining room was not open air and got very stuffy. There is a beach snack bar open during the day to get pizza, burgers, etc.

This was our third all-inclusive and our second stay at a Wyndham.

3  Thank lauracvit
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Director at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2009

Dear Customer,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya. We do appreciate your comments about our staff; we are committed to exceed our guests’ expectations with a quality service.

We will consider your important observations to improve our services.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed April 14, 2009

I went to Viva Wyndham Maya, the resort was great, super clean and the staff was awesome. We were in the newest building, furthest away from the beach, but right beside the adult only pool - which was great! The room had a huge bathtub, and was super clean. The beach was incredible - the nicest stretch of beach around. Food was great, always lots to choose from and the staff was second to none. The minute you put your utensils down, someone was there to clean up after you! The only problem we had was we did not know you could make dinner reservations in advance - so it was hard to get into the restaurants. We did make it to the Italian restaurant at the sister resort, and the food was absolutely incredible! The service was awesome - and it was a 6 course meal. I went with a friend, and we really had no complaints the whole time we were there. I would recommend this resort to everyone - and it was a great deal too! Playa del Carmen was 5 minutes away in a taxi - and was only 50 pesos which was $5.00 Canadian. We also walked to town, and that only took about 15 minutes - but really hot! I recommend the taxi!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with friends
5  Thank Calgaryfriends
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Director at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2009

Dear Customer,

It is a pleasure to receive your positive feedback regarding your recent vacation in the Mayan Riviera. The Viva Wyndham Maya team appreciates your valuables comments since for us our customers’ satisfaction is our priority.

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and please do not forget that we will be glad to welcome you back at any time at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed April 13, 2009

After travelling south for several years in a row, sometimes with kids, sometimes without this year we wanted to give our now teenage boys (13 &15) a little more freedom and action. Normally my husband and I like a low key hotel when we are on our own but knowing this resort caters to the younger crowd and after reading all the reviews we knew what to expect. Here's the low-down of our enjoyable vacation at the Viva Wyndham Maya.

Travel - We travelled for the first time via Sunwing out of Halifax NS. We were pleasantly surprised with its service both inflight and transfer to resort despite their "no frills" service. No delays going down and only an hour delay upon return. Flight attendants were friendly also and food edible. Transfer to hotel was excellent. A large van took 8 of us directly to our resort as soon as we picked up our luggage. The only mishap to report was when my son left his backpack on the van. We realized later and tracked down the driver. We were relieved to see he had held it aside but was disappointed to find my son's meager $8 was missing from his bag but everything else was still there. Of course, it was our fault for forgetting it in the first place but reinforces the fact that you should never leave your personal items unattended. Check in was a breeze.

Rooms - We stayed in room 2366. Our room was large and comfortable enough and so was the bathroom - maids also do a great job of keeping them clean. However, I have to agree with other posters that dressers would be really nice instead of living out of your suitcase and the air conditioner sounded like diesel engine running all night. In fact, we had to turn it off a few nights just to get a break from the noise. I can normally tollerate a running air conditioner but it was the loudest I have ever had to listen to. Yes, the beds are a little hard too but it didn't bother us too much as we were always so tired and fell asleep fast.

Food - The buffet had a good variety of food and always something for our picky eater boys. It's not gourmet by any means but tasty enough to enjoy it. My boys and husband LOVED the freshly made donuts each morning. The snack bar was also good and served a variety of things throughout the afternoon. The pizza there was good too. The A La Carte restaurants were excellent. We were able to book all three on the day of our arrival for various evenings through our week. Can't say I have a favourite as they were all very good and a nice break to be served instead of self-serving at the buffet. There was also a variety of drinks at all the bars. The mojitos were my favourite!

Staff - The staff work very very hard at this resort - from the guy who squeegies the pool deck all day to the entertainment staff, bar tenders and maids. Sure, not all were the friendliest but the jobs were getting done. A special thanks to the entertainment staff who work very hard to keep the young and young at heart entertained throughout each and every day. I didn't stay up for the night shows (too tired after all that sun) but my boys did and they enjoyed those as well. They especially enjoyed volley ball, water polo and of course the trapese.

Beach - The beach is nice but pales in comparison to say Punta Cana, DR or Cayo Coco, Cuba. The sand bags didn't bother us and serve their purpose but definitely take away from the "pristine beach" look and feeling. The water was also very wavy every day - great for the older kids to dive in the waves but hard for the little ones to enjoy beach time. I hear it is windy there most of the time. There were obvious signs of serious erosion along the hotel strip too and they regularly pump sand up from the deeper water to keep it from washing away. Although after walking south past all the resorts, the beach does get a lot nicer and more "natural" looking. The beach at the Viva Wyndham is one of the roomiest and nicest beaches along that strip.

Crowd - Well, it was a very busy week this past week at the Viva Wyndham (Apr 5-12). There are a LOT of young people and when you cram them along with the adults by the pool and beach, it's not very roomy at all. This bothered me a bit (I'm normally used to more personal space) but again, I was aware of the size of the resort and how busy it was likely to be so was prepared to accept the lack of space and beach chairs - especially in shade.

Grounds - The grounds are really beautiful. I loved the walkways and all the greenery and trees. The staff work hard at keeping it very lush. The open area in front of the lobby is also very nice to sit and relax in the evening. For a small resort sandwiched between so many others, you really don't feel all that squished so it is laid out really nice. It is really just the pool and beach area that you might feel it is not big enough when the hotel is busy.

Pool - A previous poster was right. The tiles in the pool are getting a little grungy (mold growing around the corners and the bottom of the pool was slippery). So no, the water was not prisine in the pool either but it is not surprising considering how busy it was so I avoided it. Of course my concerns were not enough to worry about the kids going in it and they spent a LOT of time there. We didn't bother with the quiet pool because we wanted to be able to keep an eye on our kids but we did walk up there and it is very pleasant (but still busy).

Off resort - It's more like a 30 minute walk to PDC (we walk briskly) and try and go in the morning or evening when its not so hot if you are walking. $5 for a cab ride there. The little plaza across the street was very nice - in fact, you could find just about any keepsake you wanted over there and enjoyed going over in the evenings for a stroll. There is a bankmachine there if you want to withdraw pesos.

I'm giving this resort an overall rating of "very good" because it met our expectations for the price we paid. We've stayed from 3.5 to 5 stars in the past and depending on what we are looking for, we can usually have our expectations met by doing a lot of research on a particular resort - and the Viva Wyndham fit the bill I'm sure my boys would give it a 5 star because they really had a fantastic time and for us, that was our priority for us this year so we were happy with our choice. Just bare in mind different people have different expectations so just do a lot of research and make your own judgment for what's important to you and what's not - there is certainly enough info out there to guide you.

Day trips - We did a day trip to Cozumel and rented a convertible ($40US per day) and drove around the island. We rented from ISIS - very resonable and no hidden costs. The beaches are really spectacular away from the touristy areas. Unfortunately, we couldn't do the snorkling we wanted that day because of the wind but still enjoyed our drive. We had lunch at a beach called San Fransisco Beach - which was very busy but lots of cruise ships in that day and food was fantastic.

We also did a day trip to Xel-Ha. Again, the kids had a fantastic time and loved all the different paths, lazy river, snorkling, cenotes, manate, watching dolphins and things to do. I was specifically looking forward to the snorkling. Unfortunately, I was not that impressed for all the hype it gets. Perhaps the waves were stirring up the sand and it was really busy so visability wasn't as good as it might be at other times. But for a family of four, $400 US (more or less) for the day is a little pricey - so be sure this is what you want to do before investing the money (swimming with dolphins will be another $400).

8  Thank seascapers

Dear Customer,

I would like to thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. It is really important to us to receive positive feedback as yours, and we are glad to know that your and your family enjoyed a wonderful vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya. Our customers’ satisfaction is our constant goal.

Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Maya on Trip Advisor.

It will be a pleasure to receive you and your family again at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Carmen
#46 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal

Been to Viva Wyndham Maya? Share your experiences!