“How your stay will be is a pure game of chance!”
Review of Viva Wyndham Maya

Ranked #87 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We arrived at the Viva Wyndham Maya after a faultless flight and transfer to be greeted with a very hectic reception area. After quite a lengthy wait we were escorted to our rooms. Our party consisted of 4 adults and 1 child (26 months), in two rooms.
Both the rooms we were led to were in the 3000's block, near the adult pool. The rooms we were shown to were on the ground floor, with a view of a 20ft high wall. My in-laws room was nothing more than satisfactory. The room we had been allocated smelt horribly of damp. Our son has asthma and so I requested that we were moved to a room that did not smell. The hotel agreed and after a short wait moved us to a cleaner room.
We noticed that neither room we had been shown had sleeping arrangements sorted for our son. When I asked for a cot I was told they had no notification that we had requested one, even though Virgin are insistent they provided the correct information to the hotel. After another wait they sent a member of staff in with what they considered to be a cot. It was NOT a cot. It was a crib, suitable only for an infant who could not stand. The beds in this room were fixed to a concrete base and so could not be moved, and were two queen size beds situated in the middle of the room, as with most hotels therefore we had no option to move a bed next to a wall to accommodate my son until better sleeping arrangements could be found.
The hotel advised us to phone the Virgin rep, who at this time was very unhelpful and made a point of telling me I had disturbed him in his family time and that it was not his problem. By this time myself and my family had been up for almost 20 hours and were getting very tired. The hotel spoke to the rep (in Spanish, so I could not understand what was said) and then informed me he couldn't do anything until he was back on duty the following day. The best solution (a term I use loosely on this occasion) the hotel could find was to have me and my partner sleep one in each queen bed and have my son sleep in the middle of us, on a mattress on the floor. Because the two beds each had concrete bases there was a worry that if he rolled out of bed, he would hit his head off the concrete.
I NEVER expected that I would spend the first night of my hotel worrying about my sons safety, and with him sleeping on mattresses piled on the floor. My mother-in-law also had to sleep on a mattress on the floor at the bottom of his make-shift bed to ensure he could not fall off the bottom and onto the corners of the concrete bases.
The next morning we had been asked to go back to reception. We were then informed that our Rep had asked that one of our party accompany him to the store to buy a cot for my son, as the hotel did not have one that was suitable. We then also had to move rooms again as the room we had spent the previous night in did not have space for a cot, although we had to wait until 3pm for our new room to be ready. We spent the second day of our holiday ensuring we had safe sleeping arrangements for our son and moving our belongings into our new room. Finally, over 24 hours after arriving at the hotel we could begin our holiday.

The rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor of the 3000's block where we were finally moved to are amazing. Quiet, spacious and clean. If only all the rooms were like this! It really is a Russian roulette as to whether you get a gorgeous room, or a special piece of hell. The pool and bar is brilliant, most of the staff are fantastic. The food is some of the best i've had at an all inclusive and there is a massive range of alcoholic drinks included. The entertainment is a little repetitive, but they work very hard for little money.

Three days before the end of the holiday my mother-in-law had a fall at the side of the pool. The area around the pool is extremely slippy (more so than i've ever seen before), and a LOT of people were falling over as there were no signs. Unfortunately my mother-in-law broke her arm quite badly. After falling she did not feel well and was very light headed, at one point almost fainting. Members of the bar-staff rushed over to help us along with other holidaymakers. After about 10 minutes a man who was supposedly one of the hotels first aiders appeared at the scene. Fortunately for us another guest at the hotel was a trained paramedic and had already rushed over to help. She had noticed that my MIL had low blood pressure and so rested her feet in the air and told her to remain on the floor. The first thing the hotels "first aider" did was attempt to get her up off the ground. I have no medical training but even I know this is a no-no. We then requested a doctor to attend to her. The hotel advertised a 24/7 doctor, which I understand may sometimes mean he's on call but it took him an hour to reach us. All he did was tell us we needed to go to the hospital. I could not believe the lack of first aid knowledge in the hotel at the time of the accident, and I sincerely hope nobody ever has a worse accident on their watch because I dread to think what would happen!

On the face of it this hotel looks fine, but I would not choose to stay here again knowing what I know now. I would not feel safe at all. As a parent of a young child safety is key for me when I book holidays and I don't feel at all like the staff at this hotel share my view.

Room Tip: Rooms on the 2nd and 3rd floor in the 3000's block, overlooking the adults pool.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Jacqui S
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2014

Dear Ms. S.,

Thank you for taking the time to write your feedback regarding your stay at the Viva Wyndham Maya.

We regret the inconveniences that you might have experienced during your vacation at our resort. Please do not hesitate to contact us in case you would have any further questions or doubts regarding the information that was provided to your Travel Agency.

We remain at your entire disposal.

Best regards,

There are newer reviews for Viva Wyndham Maya

Reviewed February 20, 2014

Great Vacation,We just got back from a week at the Wyndham Maya on Feb.19.This is our fourth year at this hotel.We started in 2011 with 16 adults all had a great time the following yeatr we all brought our family with us including 16 adults and 10 children ages 6 to 14 they all had a great time.The following year we went with our daughter and husband and two children this year we just got back with our friends whom had never been and were totally impressed.We are planning on coming next year with 30 people or more to celebrate retirement,birthdays,and anniversarys.Everything about this hotel is great the food something for everyone,the restaurants were excellent,the pool bartenders were great Vinny and Eldora were great,everyone works very hard to please you.can't understand anyone complaining about the staff or anything about this hotel.You only get what you give. Can't wait for February 2015.

Stayed: February 2014
6  Thank Linda L

Dear Guest,

We would like to express our deepest gratitude for your generous comments and for posting your review on TripAdvisor.

We are very pleased to know that you enjoyed your visit to our beautiful Resort. We are also delighted that you are part of our loyal guests, whom year after year honor us with their preference.
We are looking forward welcoming you back in a very near future!

Reviewed February 19, 2014

Just returned from the Viva Wyndham Maya Resort in Playacar. My wife and daughters (14 and 18) and I enjoyed our stay very much. We have stayed at several other AI resorts in the Riviera Maya and would rate this one as one of our favorite experiences. The location was perfect- Starbucks and Playacar mall was across the street, resort was close to the beach (some resorts you have to walk a great distance to get to the beach from your room), short walk to Playa del Carmen or a $7.00 cab ride. The beach is beautiful with plenty of room either in the shade or in the sun. The pool was great as well- it's small size kept the water at a comfortable temperature and the swim up bar was a fun place to hang out for drinks in the water. Eduardo is an awesome bartender!!!
Plenty of activities for kids of all ages to participate in and the entertainment staff was very fun. We went to the show in the theatre every night and applaud the performers on their talent! Very entertaining.
We really have no complaints on the food- there is something for everyone and you will not go hungry. Would like to have seen more fish options and a made-to-order pasta station as we have seen at other resorts.
Our room was in building 1 on the 3rd floor facing the neighboring resort to the North. We could see the ocean and Cozumel from our balcony. The AC worked great we were able to control the temperature and fan to our comfort level. We had a fridge that was stocked daily with water and soda. The use of the safe in the room was an additional cost of $2.00 a day. Overall for the money we paid we were very pleased and would return to this resort again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank weluvmx

Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you and your family at Viva Wyndham Maya during your recent vacations.

It is a pleasure to know that you were able to enjoy our services and facilities. Our customer’s satisfaction is our constant goal. Knowing we reached this goal in your recent stay is very rewarding for all our hard working staff members and it will reinforce their commitment to provide quality service to all of our guests.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed February 17, 2014

I travel often...No complaints at all! This was a great place! Friendly staff, many activities, good food! Great security also not that it was needed but is comforting to have. The beach was a 5 star in my books! No fridge or coffee maker in rooms but didn't matter as coffee is available at the bar very early in the morning. A la cartes were excellent & buffet had plenty to choose from. Free wifi in lobby area only or you can pay $15/day to have throughout resort. In room safe is $2/night. If you need a washcloth you can ask a cleaning maid as anywhere. We loved "Rony" the beach waiter, tip him and he will take good care of you. Actually tips go a long ways no matter where you go, so bring those dollars, they deserve it! I definitely have no problem recommending this place to anyone. So book it, relax and have a great vacation :)

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
11  Thank Verness

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your valuable feedback about the stay you had at our property.

It is really rewarding to read your positive comments and we are glad to know that your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya was enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing our resort and for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

This was my first time visiting mexico and I went with my best friend (her second time at this resort). We are in our late twenties. Upon arrival we were greeted with fresh juice. Check in was easy and fast however we arrived about two hours before our rooms were ready. You leave your luggage up front and we packed swimsuits in our carry ons so this was not an issue at all.

Service: everyone was extremely friendly and courteous. I'm not fluent in Spanish but I can hold a conversation and can understand spanish and was fine. The bartenders were always generous with liquor. Make friends with the staff working the activities and they can get you in the clubs for free (I was looking at playacrawl and decided against it..we ended up going to all of the same places for Free.. Sitting in the same VIP sections and received one free drink at each location). Ps..staff come from all parts of the globe and they all speak a variety of languages.

The food was similar to food you would get on a cruise. Since we stayed 5 days 4 nights we made 1 reservation at a restaurant on site and it was delicious and filling. The snack bar by the pool opened at 11 and went all night.

The rooms were extremely clean. The only random thing I would complain about was that they don't have washcloths. Being that my friend stayed at the hotel previously she let me know ahead of time so I was prepared and brought my own.

WiFi only works in the lobby and you can usually only check Facebook and email. I tried to get on groupme and instagram and was denied access.

Take advantage of the non motorized water sports that are included -catamaran, kayaking, paddleboards, boogie/body boards, etc. We also rode bicycles to the city and it was so much fun.
My only complaint -the hallways echo so If a kid is being loud you will hear it.

Overall it was a great trip and I would recommend this hotel for anyone not looking to spend a heap of money in mexico but still looking for a great all inclusive experience.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank IslandFlavor88
VivaWyndhamMaya, Director General at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Dear guest,

It is such a compliment when a guest has enjoyed their stay so much that they felt compelled to write a review. We are delighted to hear that we were able to provide you with a great first holiday experience in Mexico.

It was our pleasure to have you stay with us at the Viva Wyndham Maya and we are happy to hear that your vacation was so memorable.

We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for your positive review.

Reviewed February 16, 2014

Back from a stay at the Viva Wyndham Maya. I've stayed in the town a couple of times before, this was my first stay at Playacar and would definitely go back. It is walking distance to 5th Avenue but about half an hour I'd say and only around 70/80 pesos for a taxi so for me taxi-ing is the way to go. On holiday after all!. Taxis plentiful, no problem getting one but we aren't late birds these days so cannot vouch for the situation at 3am.

As I say I would definitely go back to Playcar but not sure I would go back to the Viva Wyndham. Not quite tip top hence the "very good" and not "excellent" rating. However you get what you pay for and for me it was good value (travelling on a package holiday with Virgin from the UK).

Food was good - plenty of choice and healthy choices too, fab juices and fruits at breakfast along with the usual omelette bar, everything else you could want. The a la carte restaurants were good though I would recommend stumping up for a decent bottle of wine, the wine on the tap at the main buffet restaurant was pretty gruesome it has to be said. However those barmen know how to mix their cocktails - excellent bloody marys and margharitas. Brand names available, but ask for your spirit by name or you will just get the local brand. Most all inclusives do that anyway. And as always a little tipping goes a long way.

Room was adequate, a bit dated but comfortable enough. Many thanks to the girls who cleaned who left us a note when we left our safe open one day! Nothing taken from it, all was as we left it. Balcony area was very small and no fridge in the room. And, there was a very slight musty smell in the wardrobe which remained on some of my clothes so watch out for that.

Two pool areas which was nice - the main pool has all the music and activities and direct access onto the beach but there is another, smaller pool at the other end of the property which is where we went, much quieter here.

Evening entertainment - didn't see everything, its not really my thing but better than some I have seen.

All in all, good value for money, not luxurious and it's the rooms that let the hotel down, they really do need a refurb.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Londongal_10

Dear guest,

We highly appreciate the fact that you took your precious time to write a detailed review.

Our continuous commitment is to provide quality service to all off our guests. Therefore it is very rewarding receiving your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at our property. Please be sure that your comments will be taken into consideration as they will assist us to continue improving.

Thank you once more for your constructive feedback and we hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Viva Wyndham Maya in the near future.

Reviewed February 14, 2014

Just got back and it was a great time. Some tips and advice for first time travellers:
The coffee at the bar is amazing. Frappachinos and cappichinos are so tasty!
The buffet was good. Not awesome but always something to eat. They do a lot of things with hotdogs... Pizza soup salads eggs. It was interesting.
Ate at the mexican restaurant on site. Not great. Kinda disapointing. The international cafe was really good as was the mayan restaurant!
Also feel free to walk to town. Its very safe even coming home at midnight. EL PRIMO TACO is awesome. Tiny restaurant as u walk into town on the left side just past oxxo. Eat there its great and authentic. Miss it already!
The nightly shows at the resort were really cool too.
Took the collective (bus) to excaret park instead of booking a tour. Pick it up at calle 2 and 20. It cost 8 pesos and so worth it.
The room was great too. Big and with a balcony. It was located on the quiet side of the resort so not a lot of noise :)
Great time and looking forward to next time!

• Stayed: February 2014
3  Thank Offic

Dear customer,

We sincerely appreciate your positive review about your vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Our most important goal is to provide all of our guests with a wonderful vacation experience. We are glad to know that we have achieved this.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Viva Wyndham Maya and we would be delighted to welcome you back to our Resort in the future.

Best regards,

#51 of 211 in Playa del Carmen
Grand Oasis Tulum
Grand Oasis Tulum
#16 of 21 in Akumal

Been to Viva Wyndham Maya? Share your experiences!