“One of our best vacations, ever!!!!”
Review of Viva Wyndham Maya

Ranked #89 of 217 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed October 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel from October 14-24, 2013. We highly recommend this hotel for the following reasons: 1) It's well located at Playacar area; 2) it has one of the most amazing and beautiful beach I have ever being. The water is completely clear and very clean. The sand is white and you can see a lot of fishes. 3) The hotel is very clean. 4) The food is very good even though they don't offer much variety. 5) The hotel provides bicycles so you can go to 5 th Avenue (Quinta Avenida) within 12-15 minutes. This is a very good option and you can save money because a taxi will cost $7 per ride or $14 roundtrip. 6) The hotel has a variety daily night show and during the day it has a very good animation staff. 7) Good a/c 8) Comfortable rooms. 8) It's near the ferry terminal to Cozumel. The ferry costs you around $26 roundtrip.

On the other hand, we think that the hotel can improve many things as: 1) They should not ask $2 daily for the safe deposit box, it should be included. 2) Even though most of it's staff is very friendly and helpful, there are a few employees that should have better attitude with the tourist. 3) The hotel only has wifi in the lobby.

Tips: If you are planning to visit Xcaret, Xplor, Xel Ha-Tulum, I highly recommend that you buy it directly through www.xcaretexperiencias.com because they offer you a package of $249 per person. I paid $315 per person at the hotel. So you can save some money if you buy the tickets in advance.
In conclusion, if you are looking for a 5 star luxury hotel, this is not your best option. On the other hand, the hotel has everything you need like, if you want to save some money and have a great vacation.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in font of the theater.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jrc13-12
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded November 1, 2013

Dear customer,

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Maya as the destination for your recent holiday. It is really satisfactory to receive your positive feedback and to know that we fulfilled your expectations during your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya.

We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion and we assure you that your feedback will be considered in order to ameliorate our services.

One more time, we would like to thank you for your preference and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon.

Warm regards,

Viva Wyndham Maya

Write a ReviewReviews (6,916)

Reviewed October 25, 2013

I've been to Mexico Playa Del Carmen over a dozen times, 5 yrs ago we stayed at this resort and decided to go back for our honeymoon.....we were here from Oct 5/13-Oct19/13....Honestly this place has gone downhill.....although the staff was great, the food wasnt....was the first time I've ever gotten sick from food in Mexico....not once but twice...it took almost a week for the bloating I felt to subside...and I wasnt eating horribly ...I was making good choices with what I had....
I couldnt find a decent drink unless it was a plain jane cocktail made with soda...the bartenders take no pride in what they do...even with a tip Everytime they pour you one....
This is suppose to be a "family" resort.... we had the joys of watching a couple practically have sex at the pool...a drunk woman in her 50's stripping to nothing while standing on a stool at the swim up bar with the bartender egging her on by wagging his tongue at her....I was thankful I didnt have any kids with me cause the staff do nothing to control stupid behaviours..
Although we did get a good price...I would have gladly paid a little more to be somewere else...

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Tammy A
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for the review regarding your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Maya.

We are sorry your experience did not meet your expectations. Your comments will help us evaluate our amenities and services.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity of regaining your trust the next time you visit the Riviera Maya.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Some ppl's reviews onhere are hyper-critical. Honestly, I don't know what they are talking about. This was probably the best vacation I have EVER been on!

Super clean and friendly. The staff cleaned meticulously. I never saw any trash anywhere on the premises. Endless fun and free activities. Great for families. So beautiful. It is truly paradise. I tanned and swam in the turquoise ocean basically all day. Ocean is warm and cute fishies swim all around you. Bring them some cracker crumbs and they will surround you! Hang out in the pool and grab a free cocktail at the pool bar. Plus I did archery, snorkeling, yoga, zumba, merengue lessons, games, saw cirque du soleil-type acrobatic shows, trapeze, dined at two upscale restaurants (for free), went biking. Plus theres kayaking, windsurfing, catamaran boats, and so much more. These activities were all included in the price! Cute shopping center is directly across the street from this hotel. It doesn't get any more convenient than that. I also went on a tour with "Easy Tours" company (they were $70 versus other company's $129 - I'm a bargain shopper!) and visited Tulum & Coba (ancient Mayan ruins), swam in the ocean and a "cenote" (water cave), and visited a modern Mayan village. At nighttime, I lounged in the courtyard where there is free Wi-Fi. Free theatrical show every night! -- Comedy, Audience participation, dance, music, acrobatics... staff is super talented and everyone is multi-lingual. Most spoke Spanish, English, German, Italian, French, and sometimes Portuguese or Mayan too. The resort has wild animals that roam around and live there. Coatis, Seneques, (<--google them) cute kitties, iguanas. All are friendly. I pet the cats and the coati. One guy at the beach had a parrot and another had a spider monkey!

I did a lot of research when I picked out this resort for my vacation. It is cheaper than ALL of the other nearby resorts and it is absolutely beautiful! I HIGHLY recommend it!

Room Tip: Rooms near the lobby can probably pick up free Wi-Fi, otherwise you are charged $15 per day if you w...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Carrie P

Dear guest,

Thank you for the fantastic review!

It is wonderful to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay. We truly appreciate it when our guests take the time to inform us about their experience at the Viva Wyndham Maya and we are thrilled to see that yours exceeded your expectations.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back very soon and we thank you for your gracious review.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

this is a lovely clean hotel. the staff are very helpful at all times even though with some of them there is a langiage barrier there is always someone close by that can speak English so this is not a problem. The entertainment is performed nightly by a team that give it their all, they even include the kids club that give nightly performances which is great for the kids and proud parents.
Only down side is the slippery tiling round the pool, they endeavour to keep this clear of water at all times but a few slippery places are inevitable, mats are in place and if you stick to these you are ok.
The hotel is conveniently placed to take advantage of the 5th Avenue shopping but beware of the traders when you leave the main shops towards the sea front they are very very keen to part you from your money.
The food is exceptional and if you dont like too spicy food they cater very well for this.
Unfortunately the trips available to see the country all involve a long bus trip so be prepared for early starts in the mornings, but we took some of them and you can sleep on the mini buses.
The one tour that stands out is the virgin ahoy trip that was well worth the money.
All in all this is a great place to take your holiday and is very family orientated.

Room Tip: we had a superior room which was quiet at night and during the day when we wanted rest
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank lenandcelia

Dear customer,

Thank you so much for your positive feedback with regards to your vacation at Viva Wyndham Maya. We are thrilled to hear that you had a pleasant vacation and that you were able to enjoy the services and facilities provided at our Resort.

Please remember that we will be glad to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

WE absolutely adore this resort. We could not believe for the price what we received on our vacation. No words can describe the 5 days we spent here. I have absolutely nothing to com0lain about. The food coukd have been a littke better quality but thats not even worth a complaint for the price. I just feel is the quality was a little better there would not be so much wasted food. The beach is probably the resorts best feature. The sunset and sunrise were absolutely stunning. I could go on and on about this resort ♥

• Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank denisehowerton213

Dear guest,

Reading your positive review is a real reward for the entire team here at Viva Wyndham Resorts and we are very happy to know we have achieved our goal of offering you a memorable stay at our Viva Wyndham Maya Resort. Rest assured that your comments will be taken into consideration.

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Resorts for your stay and we look forward to offering you a second unforgettable holiday at one of our properties in Mexico, The Bahamas or the Dominican Republic.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

We stayed at this hotel the first week of October 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Time from the airport to the hotel:
We were the last stop, so it took 1.5 hours to get to the hotel, and another 1.5 hours to return to the airport. Not quite what I was expecting, but the drive is scenic and the road is paved :)

Check-in
We were checked in right away upon arrival (around 11:30 a.m.) and received a welcome cocktail. I had emailed the resort a couple of days prior to departure requesting a king bed room with fridge, top floor. We never got a reply, but got the top floor and fridge, but only 2 double beds. The bell boy was kind enough to call reception, who explained to him that there were no king rooms left (!?) but we should come back the following day to see if one was available. However, we were satisfied with the room and location, so we didn't request a move.

Room:
Small but clean. Air conditioning is too strong - went down to 17 degrees C at night! Beds are very comfortable (we like a hard bed - some may not feel the same way). Shower is very nicely tiled with shower wand, and shower pressure is excellent, with no hot water issues. Balcony is tiny - 21 square feet - but still was nice to sit outside before dinner.

A maid came daily and made us towel art each day (the tip on the bed probably helped).

As others have mentioned, the safe is strangely $2 per day, but essential to hold your belongings. It can probably hold a 10" tablet.

We were lucky enough to get a fridge (some didn't), but it kept our drinks cool-ish, not cold. I got some ice from the bar to keep in there to cool things down a bit.

You get one bottled water upon arrival, and that's it - no restocking, and certainly no pop or beer. I bought some beer from the duty-free before take-off, having read the reviews, and anyways, the 24 hour bar is pretty close by if you need something. Those complaining about the selection (or lack thereof) should read the reviews before departure and plan accordingly.

Beach:
Absolutely stunning. It's about an hour walk from end to end. If you get to the beach and turn left, in about a half-hour walk, you'll arrive at the bottom of 5th Avenue in Playa del Carmen - nice! You'll also see some beautiful homes and resorts along the way. Water is very clear and warm, and there are no rocks or sea urchins to worry about when swimming. No seaweed on the beach. Definitely the highlight of our stay - worth the price of admission alone.

Plenty of loungers on the beach, but not all have palapas. I got up around 7 a.m. and was able to get a palapa each day. Unfortunately, upon arriving to our loungers one day after breakfast, we were surprised to see that a gentleman (I use that term loosely) had stolen our loungers and had placed my belongings on the (unshaded) bed behind them. I put my belongings back on the lounger and placed his on the bed instead. He sheepishly came over from about 4 loungers away (where he and his wife already had their own!) and took his things. He obviously wanted loungers both in the sun and in the shade. I began to give him a lecture but he started speaking another language and just walked away. Oh, well, he never did it again for the rest of the week...just watch your belongings while you are there. I could understand if we were gone for hours and hours, but we came back just after breakfast.

Pool:
There are two pools...one tiny one with a swim-up bar, and a tinier "relax" pool with no swim-up bar, but there is a bar right beside it. Only spent a couple of days at the one with the swim-up and met some cool people there. I wish the pool was larger, but again, we knew this when we booked. Very strangely, the swim-up bar doesn't open up until noon! A shout-out to Fernando for his excellent service there.

Food:
Buffet food: This was a let-down for me (and I didn't have high expectations upon arrival). Food was almost identical from day to day, and there is tremendous "recycling" (i.e. last night's dinner becomes today's breakfast). Not a lot of meats to choose from. You can only get bacon by request - ask the omelette maker along the wall (not the one in the middle of the buffet). It is not air conditioned and can get absolutely stifling.

The snack bar by the pool has hamburgers (make sure they're cooked! I got a pink one once), nachos, pasta, etc. Very tasty fries. However, my wife and I both had some tummy trouble for about a day after eating here once - had the beef stir fry and chicken. Everything looked cooked, though.

The a la cartes are definitely worth booking upon arrival. We were allotted 3 for our week's stay and ate at the Viva Cafe, Italian, and Portofinio. We enjoyed them all - steak at the Viva and Portofinio was delicious, as was the fish at the Italian. The Italian is above the pool bar and is open-air - again, very stifling at dinner.

Excursions:
Went to 5th Avenue for a night, since we didn't want to eat at the buffet again for dinner. Had been during the day before, but not at night, and it's pretty cool at night. Souvenirs are definitely cheaper than what you'll find at the airport. Had dinner at La Vagabunda again - we both had the fajitas, and they were delicious, although I was a bit disappointed at the portion size. 5th Avenue is a $7 cab ride there (although the cab driver coming back wanted $9 and refused to budge - we were quite a ways up the street by that point).

We also did the "booze cruise" with Samba Catamaran, booked through the resort. $150 for both of us, which included the all-day cruise on the catamaran, snorkeling, the opportunity to hold a nurse shark, a brief visit to Isla Mujeres, lunch buffet, and para-sailing off the back of the boat (if winds permit). They are not stingy with alcohol - you will not go thirsty, that's for sure. Make sure you bring a hat, as there's no shade. They will take pictures of you while you're on the boat and sell them to you later, so smile and don't imbibe too much :) Met some great people on the boat who helped make the day special (hola, Cecilia from the U.S.!)

Bars:
Bar service was prompt and friendly. I tipped from time, but certainly not for every drink. The beer is Dos Equis and is extremely watered down - you'll get no buzz at all (although it tastes fine and is cold!). No issues with filling my massive Bubba Keg and my wife's plastic drink container. Enjoyed some Canadian Club at night - a nice touch.

Resort guests:
We met an awesome couple from Texas and went on the booze cruise with them - definitely great, fun-loving people (hola, Cheryl and Matt!). Most of the guests at the resort, however, do not speak much, if any, English, so it might be difficult to meet people if you're from North America. A couple of guests were also quite rude to me (the aforementioned lounger thief, and a woman blatantly butted in front of me in line for the bar and simply ignored me when I took here to task for it).

Overall impression:
If the price is right, we'll be back for sure...amazing beach, cold drinks, small size, and good service. Also free Wi-Fi in the lobby bar area - other resorts who insist on gouging for Wi-Fi should pay attention. Hope this helped!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank ThirstyBeachlover

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind and detailed review of our Resort, its facilities and services.

We are very happy to know we have achieved our goal of offering you a memorable stay at our Viva Wyndham Maya Resort. Rest assured that also your comments and observations will be taken into consideration.

We are also glad to hear that TripAdvisor was able to provide you with some useful information about the facilities provided at our resort before your arrival and thus enabling you to prepare yourself accordingly. For your information we would like to mention that one of Viva Wyndham Resorts main concerns is the practice of Sustainable Tourism. Our policy of providing one bottle of water per room on the day of arrival is part of many actions that lead to the reduction of waste, energy and water. The policies implemented at our Resort have been acknowledged as Viva Wyndham Maya has received the ‘Green Globe’ certification. We kindly invite all of our customers to refill their water bottles at the bars or restaurants, this with the aim to reduce plastic waste material which remains one of the most polluting and contaminating causes which irreversibly damages our seas and oceans.

At Viva Wyndham Resorts our commitment is to satisfy our customers of today, but also in the future, and we are confident that you understand the importance of these actions.

We look forward to your return visit and again thank you for choosing to stay with us at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

The al la carte restaurants are excellent and the staff can not do enough for you. It was just a shame it was not the same for the reception staff who were rude and unhelpful and this was the general thought of other brits. The room was clean and comfortable and there was never a problem getting a sunbed on the beach in the morning, although it did get busier in the afternoon. The relax pool was a little quiet haven in the afternoon. The beach was lovely and you can walk to 5th avenue in about 30mins. Be prepared to be hassled and there are some nice one off shops. We booked our excursion to Chichen Itza with the company in the hotel instead of Virgin as it was cheaper and all food and drink was included. The resort of playacar is in amongst residential houses and felt safe for going for walks in the evening. The entertainment staff work non-stop but you are not pressured to join in which we liked.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Paul G

Dear customer,

We appreciate your feedback on your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Your opinion is very valuable to us. We are glad that your overall appreciation of our Resort, its services and facilities was positive, but regret that not everything was perfect. Rest assured that will take your observations about the customer service provided at our Reception into account.

Thank you for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

We remain at your disposal.

Best regards,