“Good resort for the price!”
Review of Viva Wyndham Maya

Ranked #86 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed June 22, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at the Viva Wyndham Maya. The check in process was relatively smooth - we were lucky that there weren't many people in line and we were greeted with some sort of a rum punch. Our room was a standard room with 2 queen beds but we asked to change it to a king bed. They did so, but our room was SO small - there was only about 2-3' of space on both sides of the bed and with the small desk near the wall at the foot of the bed, there was only about that much space there as well. We decided not to ask to switch since we really didn't spend much time in the room. The only thing that we really didn't like in the room was how hard the pillows were. After reading other reviews, we learned to book our a la carte restaurants right away so we could get the times we wanted. We also read that the Mexican theme night at the buffet was the best and we would agree 100%. The only bummer was that it stated that the Mexican buffet was Saturday and Tuesday nights but Saturday night ended up being French night and we were kind of disappointed with the food. We ate at Don Diego (Mexican a la Carte) and the Viva Cafe (International cuisine). I would say that Don Diego wasn't our favorite but the Viva Cafe was out of this world! We would have eaten there every night if we were allowed! Since we stayed 6 nights, we were only allowed 2 a la carte reservations. The buffet restaurant was fine - we felt the lunch was the best meal there and the breakfast was 2nd best. We read many reviews that most people really enjoyed the breakfast so I don't think you will be let down. The dinners were fine - every night they had pizza, a pasta station, burgers and hot dogs, tons of fresh baked breads, fruit, desserts, etc. Then they had food for whatever theme that the night was. We never left hungry. Also, don't be surprised if some of the staff who work the entertainment join you for dinner. It was a nice way to get to know some of the staff! The bars were pretty decent, although my boyfriend was disappointed they only had one choice for beers - which was Dos Equis XX. The liquor selection was pretty decent and they had a huge menu of fun drinks. I stuck with Captain Morgan and diet or pina coladas but I asked for Anejo rum instead of the standard rum; it made them even better! We went to a few shows at the resort theater and enjoyed them. One night was a Disney theme where they had children who were guests of the resort starring in the show - that was really cute! The grounds were really pretty and we didn't mind our walk to the beach. We were in the building farthest from the beach, near the relax pool but it was nice to have to walk a little every day. The beach was absolutely beautiful and we swam in it at least a couple times per day. Many reviews we read said you had to get up early to save seats by the pool or beach but we never had to - there was always a place to sit! Don't forget to check out the non-motorized sports; Eduardo took us on a Catamaran ride on our last day and it was really nice! I was glad we were able to squeeze that in to our trip! The downtown area is about a 2 mile walk from the resort. We took cabs a couple trips and walked there and back once. It wasn't too bad of a walk, but it was really hot so we were drenched by the time we returned! The cab rides to town cost $7 each time we went unless we went a little past the downtown - then it cost $9. We checked out a local restaurant called Oh Lala that was really good and watched some Stanley cup playoff games at a bar called Los Tabernacos. We were so glad we found those two locations to check out!
We enjoyed our stay at the Viva Wyndham Maya and hope you do as well. I would say it was a good deal for the price we paid. It wasn't the fanciest of places but it was worth the money!

Room Tip: We were in room 3100, I believe. It was on the 1st floor of the building near the relax pool. It w...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SLK1212
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your valuable feedback about the stay you had at our property.

It is really rewarding to read your positive comments and we are glad to know that your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya was enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing our resort and for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

Viva Wyndham Maya

Write a ReviewReviews (6,804)

Reviewed June 22, 2013

By friend and I stayed at Wyndham Maya June 5th- June 10th. We arrived in Cancun and made it through customs in less than and hour. We booked a shuttle with Happy Shuttle and it was worth the money. Our driver was great- he told us all about the PlayaCar area and how we were going to love it.
We arrived at the resort and the room was not going to be ready until 3 pm. We went to the relax pool and hung out there for awhile. When we checked in at 3:00 we were told the room would not be ready until 3:30. Finally at 3:30 we were given room 2100. We went to the room and found out they gave us a room with a king size bed ( we are two 30 year old women). We tried to move the room but were not guaranteed to get a an ocean view so we decided to stay. The room was just OK. The air-conditioned never worked correctly ( we could not adjust the temp on it), there was NO water pressure at all in the shower and the water was never really warm. We made do. The room was always humid- so nothing every really dried.
The resort property is nice. We were able to eat and 2 restaurants during our stay- Portofino and the Italian restaurant at Azteca. We did find out that we were not supposed to be eating at the buffet as Azteca when we were approached by the manager one night. We were we could go to Azteca , but there are apparently restrictions. The manager was very nice about it and let us finish up our meal and have desert before we headed back to the Maya.
Drinks were fine. One thing I really noticed were the lines to get drinks at night. I have been to a dozen or more all inclusive and have never had to wait that long for a drink. I am really surprised they only have 2 bars in the entire resort open at night.
We visited Xel Ha and Rio Secreto on our trip. Overall we had a great trip. Both us ended up a bit under the weather when we got home. I am not sure if it was food related or not.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for your kind review. We are glad that your overall appreciation of our Resort, its services and facilities was positive, but regret that not everything was perfect.

We assure you that the involved departments were informed about these incidents and we will do our utmost to improve the quality of our services.

Thank you once more for your constructive feedback and we hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Viva Wyndham Maya in the near future.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

This was our first visit to Mexico and what a beautiful and friendly country it is. We spent 10 days at Viva Wyndham Maya and enjoyed the nice clean facilities and friendly staff. The food was amazing, the waiters friendly and helpful and the omelettes cooked by Alfonso for breakfast were delicious.
There was plenty of choice to eat at all mealtimes and plenty of food available throughout the day and night. We visited the Italian and Mexican restaurants which were nice.
The kids club was a big hit with our son, the staff really looked after him and he enjoyed the various activities that they offered.
The swimming pool area was great and also plenty of sun loungers available - no need to get up at some stupid time of the morning to get a bed around the pool like you have to do in European resorts.
The beach was beautiful and you can have a lovely walk along the beach to Playa del Carmen.
The only issue we had with noise at night was on our last night when some very drunk and loud people were walking down the corridors.
We thoroughly recommend staying at the Viva Wyndham Maya, and will definitely be returning next year.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Kingston002

Dear guest,

It is such a compliment when a guest has enjoyed their stay so much that they felt compelled to write a review.

We very much appreciate receiving feedback from our guests, and we will be certain to pass along your kind praise to our staff. It was our pleasure to have you stay with us at the Viva Wyndham Maya and we are happy to hear that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back and thank you for your review.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

We thought overall we chose a good resort,as always with any resort there are good and bad.We definitely would have liked to have a much bigger variety of fruits throughout the day.Fruit was limited to watermelon,canteloupe,oranges,honeydew,grapefruit not a very big or good selection.We were also informed that on an 7 night stay you can only eat twice in the restaraunts,the other nights you have to eat at the buffet unless you go off resort.We were unaware of this and were not to happy about it.The nice thing was that you do have access to the Viva Azteca which is only a little way down the street or beach,the Mya and the Azteca are both Wyndham resorts,and this is nice for a change of scenery.My advice if you go into Playa Del Carmen which is walkable but not that close and with the heat you are soaking wet if even walk a little ways.Take the bike which is available or my opinion the cab is the best way for $7US
dollars.GO EARLY DAYTIME if you go,the scenery is very nice being it sits on the beach,reminds me of our boardwalks here,mainly small shops.Be aware that if you are with your family that the men working these shops are VERY crude and vulgar,we did not appreciate some of the comments to our daughter but you cannot do a thing about it unless you want to spend some time in a mexican jail,not worth it.I say go earlier not at night.There is a Starbucks right across the street from the resort along with some small shops which are reasonable if you want souveniers or munchies for the room.The resort sits on an absolutely beautiful beach,it is so clean it is shocking,water is crystal clear blue with white sand,like a bathtub or pool.
I would recommend this trip and hotel,just be aware of some things.Also there are no coffee pots in the rooms,this drove my wife crazy.The shows were amazing and the performers are very talented.We definitely will travel again to Mexico but will go to Cozumel next time.
Have a great time if you go,it is well worth it.

1  Thank UnitedStatesAnthony

Dear customer,

It is really satisfactory to receive your positive feedback and to know that we fulfilled your expectations during your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya.

We will take your observations into consideration, as they will assist us in our ongoing commitment to improve our services and facilities.

Thank you for recommending our resort and please remember that we will be pleased to welcome you back.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

This was our first trip to Wyndham properties. We stayed in the 3200 bldg. by the adult relax pool. It was a great room which was very clean. The maid would restock our fridge each day with water and soda. The bed was too firm for my taste and the hallway echo was bad. A couple of days into the trip we started to roll up a towel and put it at the bottom of the door which reduced the hallway noise substantially. We had a jacuzzi tub as well which was nice.
Resort had a lot of people there so it was very busy, that being said there was plenty of staff willing to help out. There was a little confusion in the check in and even though we were early they had one of our rooms ready so we could get settled in that one while the other was being finished.
Restaurants were great! We ate at the International Cafe, Don Diego twice, and the Portofino. Service and food was great. We also went over to the Azteca to the Bamboo which was good as well. I would skip the International cafe as the food just wasn't my style. The buffet was good but would get old as the options were almost always the same.
Beach area was awesome but the VIP area was crowded with a couple of large family groups so we weren't always able to get a spot. The waitress always had drinks for us when we were there and new what we liked after a couple of days. Water sports were always available with catamaran's kayak's etc.
As long as we engaged the staff in asking what was available and how to participate in activities they were really helpful and made it easy, being a VIP I assumed they would approach me but that wasn't the case. The entertainment staff were very friendly and the evening dance shows were great. I especially liked the Mexican Folklore show we caught at the Azteca. The shows weren't over the top, being from Las Vegas I have seen a lot of shows, but they were still engaging and entertaining.
All in all a great vacation that was relaxing and the Beach is why I went and it was just what i wanted. The good outweighed the negative, we had a great time. For excursions we did the Tulum Xel-ha which was great.

Room Tip: The 3200 building is away from all the action and by the adult relax pool. Better quality room and...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank DeanTK421

Dear customer,

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to serve you at Viva Wyndham Maya. We are glad to know that you had the chance to enjoy your vacation at our resort.

It is a pleasure to know that our services and facilities met with your expectations.

Again thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Maya.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

My family and I visited the viva Maya in June. Like everything else there are goods and bads to everything. First of all check in was crazy! It seemed to go by so slow, they don't seem to have any organization when you walk in, no line and people will just huddle around to see if someone will service them. We had booked two rooms and wanted to be closer to one another so that took a little bit and moved us to the 2thousand block of rooms and they were not impressive! The room they gave me and my husband didn't even have the bed we had requested or mini fridge.

We have stayed with the Barcelo chain before and that is a class of its own!! That is a true all-inclusive. Here with Viva Maya we got one bottle of water a day?! We also have to pay for the use of a safe which is already in the room. It's 2USD. Really? My husband and I didn't even use it and when we went to check out they wanted to charge us 120 pesos! needless to say I said I wasn't going to pay for that so the gentlemen was kind enough to remove that charge.

They allow free internet use in the lobby but it's really slow so my husband went ahead and purchased the premium internet which I think was 34USD for three days. But the problem was that the first day it didn't even work in our room!!!

This resort has friendly staff that works it, they are attentive and kind. There is smoking everywhere it seems here (My family and I don't smoke) so it was annoying at times. The beach is beautiful and have no complaints there. There were some topless women on the beach and a security guard came to tell them to put there tops back on. There are kids everywhere at this time.

The pool is really small actually which was surprising. I thought maybe they just had multiple ones but they only have the main one and the relax pool which is only for adults.

Lunch was the best for me because at the entrance there was a very kind woman who made specialty Mexican food each day like tostadas, empanadas, sopes etc. I really enjoyed this.

We dined at the Italian restaurant at the Viva Azteca which was good and the Mexican restaurant at the Viva Maya and that was really good too! I was celebrating my birthday too and the staff came out singing and brought a birthday cake! I was so so happy that day! My husband had prearranged this little treat and the staff surely delivered.

Now, going to downtown Playa del Carmen is easy and really there is no need to take a taxi. You just exit the Viva Maya entrance turn right and go straight down for about 20-25 minutes walking and at the turn around turn right head straight the there it is! My family and I felt safe to walk up and down several times. You will see many tourist taking the same path so it is always busy.

Also, we went to Tulum and took the "Colectiva" which is a shuttle like service. You can catch it at the heart of Playa and it is only 40 pesos to take each way and is fast and easy. Way way cheaper than hiring a taxi or a tour with a company.

One more thing, if you need transportation to and from the airport use Happy Shuttle Cancun. SOO cheap roundtrip and they were friendly and on time! No complaints there. For the six of us round trip was only 105 USD. Don't hire someone at the airport, please have this prearranged before as the taxi there and representatives are pushy and expensive.

Overall, good resort but when we come back I will look at Barcelo or Riu.

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the 3thousand block of rooms. It is close to the quite relaxation pool, next to gym...
2  Thank Raquel H
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for the review regarding your recent stay at Viva Wyndham Maya.

We are sorry your experience did not meet your expectations. Your comments will help us evaluate our amenities and services.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope that you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Viva Wyndham Resorts.

Reviewed June 12, 2013

Just returned from Viva, 6/5-6/10/13. Traveled with husband, 13 and 19 year old. This was our first time in Playa Del Carmen.

Cancun Airport-Took us 1 1/2 hours between landing and getting onto the shuttle. I've heard customs can take up to 3 hours. Definitely ignore all the nicely dressed men in ties, they are timeshare salesmen. Head straight outside to your transportation. There is a bar outside but the prices are on par with US airport bars. Olympus tours were very professional. Shuttle was about 40 minutes, check-in was smooth, no problem with time share people, our complimentary drink was punch. The grounds are beautiful. There is a jungle path that winds from the lobby courtyard, through the ala carte restaurants, to the pool, stage, pavilion area...which was where our rooms were located. We saw several interesting animals.

Rooms: Our room was clean, air worked great, walk in shower beautiful. We had two rooms, together and by the beach as we requested when we called the day before. One room had a mini fridge. They claim they are all non smoking, but there were glass ash trays on the tables. The tiled floor and white washed walls didn't hold a bad smoke smell so it didn't bother us. The bathroom only has pump shampoo and body wash. We went and bought decent soap and conditioner in town. The floor is all Spanish tile which is cool, clean and noisy! They really need to put a run of carpet in the hallways. Beginning at 6 a.m. you can hear ever footstep, voice and rolling suitcase that goes past your door! We followed the advice of another reviewer and hung onto our bottle of water and refilled it with purified water from the bar. It was replenished a couple of times so we ended up with several bottles in the end. Maid service does a nice job with different towel animals on our bed everyday. Our room was on the ground floor and although they ask you not to dry your clothes outside (due to theft) we did and had no problems. It is so humid there is little other way to dry your wet clothes. (Maybe a rope hung across the room?) Forget laundry service, it's $2 per item.

Food: There are so many nationalities that the hotel is trying to cater to, I imagine its a challenge. The snack bar (by the pool) was almost always open and had good pizza (stone fired), hamburgers, hotdogs, nacho's, fries, some kind of mexican fajita mix, rice, beans, salad stuff, and sliced meats and cheeses. This is the best spot to grab food and sit by the beach. A taco bar would have made it perfect. The big buffet (over the lobby) has a ton of options. My kids liked the pasta bar. There is someone there to toss together your choice of pasta, sauce, and veggies. There is another hot-bar that rotates; breakfast for dinner, burgers, etc. On the buffet there is lots of mexican dishes, fruit, salad, breads. If you are creative you can put together something you like, although it does get a little redundant after a week and I think the blandness is to appease the European palate. Find the hot sauce! We were allowed 2 night in ala cartes for our 5 night stay. We chose Bamboo (sushi, yay!) and Portofino. Both were good. Shorts, collared shirts and sundresses are fine.

Gym-Forget about it. It's not air conditioned and this time of year it's grueling hot! Your better off jogging through Playacar (beautiful So. Cali style neighborhood behind gates), or taking advantage of the zumba, step aerobics and water aerobics which are VERY fun! The activities staff seems tireless!

Beaches-BEAUTIFUL! Aqua blue clear waters. We took a Catamaran one day (activities staff takes you out..it's included in the price). We had no problem finding chairs although the ones in the shade are harder to find. There is a waiter that makes rounds but we just walked back to the pool bar to refill and use the restroom. Jet Ski's and Para sailing are available for a fat price.

Pool/Bar-You can access the bar from under the pavilion (where there are many tables to accommodate those eating from the snack bar) or from inside the pool itself. Drinks are decent. My husband stuck with beer (draft dos equis is the only option) and El Jimador tequila shots. I stuck with SKY vodka. My niece enjoyed trying all the fruffy drinks since 18 is the legal age in Mexico. They will make them as strong as you ask. You can also get espresso and a variety of juices and purified water. The pool is beautiful, plenty of chairs around and lot's of activities to entertain you. Many people play cards under the shade of the pavilion or throw darts. My son and I played games in the pool with the activities staff an then swam up to the bar for a beverage...how fun!

Lobby bar/Patio/Internet-This is a beautiful place to sit under the stars in the evening and listen to Brazilian music playing in the background. If the sky is clear you can easily pick up free internet in this location, otherwise it's $10 a day. This bar is more upscale and quieter. Lot's of Europeans enjoying the patio with there friends, smoking, laughing. A very relaxing way to finish off the day. This was my second favorite spot (next to the beach) in the whole resort. (Pool #3).

Shows-They change nightly. We saw the 70's show, Madonna and Hollywood. Wonderful dancing and costumes but the lip syncing is a little weak (although entertaining). Our catamaran guy was adamant that he knew all his lyrics but (I didn't tell him this) most people are looking at the girls. Activities staff is hardworking and fun and really want you to enjoy your stay.

Money-Everyone takes dollars although you may end up paying a slight more at vendors and taxis. I used the ATM in Playa Del Carmen at Scotia Bank under the McDonalds. Your money is given in pesos but the fee is very small. I asked for 800 pesos (about 65 dollars) and the fee was 95 cents. I also used the ATM in the hotel but only gives dollars. The fee was 11 bucks for $100.00!!! I'd definitely avoid the dollar ATM's!

Tipping-I followed another reviewers advice and did not tip taxi drivers. I also did not tip at the buffets. House keeping, I left 3 dollars or 40 pesos each day, tipped the bar 2 dollars at the first round of each day and then 8 on our last round of the trip. We tipped 8 at the ala cart restaurants. We also tipped 1 dollar a bag for anyone who handled them...shuttle drivers and bellmen.

Taxis-There are set rates. Ask before accepting a ride. It's currently $7 each way to Playa Del Carmen. We wanted to bike but it was HOT and where would we put all our purchases?

Playa Del Carmen-AVOID 5th St! Everyone is trying to sell you something. One man actually got a hold of my hand and wouldn't let go! If you must shop, be prepared to receive a sales pitch from everyone! There is a nice courtyard from the taxi drop off to the ferry that is quieter. There is also a very cool little shop at the bottom of Juarez near the ferry. Hippy lady with cool art, excellent english and good advice. The Walmart is in walking distance from the main taxi drop off. Taxis are available there to take you back. There is also a nice little shopping spot right across from the Wyndham that has just about everything you can find in PDC without the hassle. Lot's of little vendors with jewelry, pottery, etc. There is also a Starbucks and convenience store.

Ferry-They only accept credit cards if you book round trip which was not a problem because you do NOT have to commit to a return time as I had read previously. They said $140 for 4 people but it posted to my account as $98. Nice surprise!

We did Dolphin Discovery and snorkeling at Playa Palancar in Cozumel but I'll review those separately.

I'm rating this hotel as very good as it was our first experience with an AI and we were overall pleased. Our hugest gripes were the noise in the hallway outside our room and the redundancy of the buffets. The cost, the beach, the pool, the courtyard all made up for it! We'd come back but not before we tried out some others.

Room Tip: If you want quiet, stick to the rooms by the adults relaxing pool. If you want the beach and don...
3  Thank Sunshowered

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for sharing your review with other travelers on TripAdvisor.

We truly appreciate you choosing Mexico and especially our resort for your first all-inclusive vacation. We are thrilled to hear you had an excellent time and hope that your detailed review will convince other travelers to visit us.

Thank you for your preference and we hope to have the chance to welcome you back soon.