“Read this”

Ranked #89 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
MUNICH
“Read this”
Reviewed December 20, 2012

My wife and me just turned home. We spend two weeks in this resort. First reception take forever to take care you after many hours of travel. then we get sick both of us after eat in the buffet. after all we say ok we deal with it. all the personals so nice except one person GHALIA from guest services guys, you read THIS "GUEST SERVICE". we have 6 reservations for 2 weeks and everytime we went there all the personal so nice, but this particular person is so racist for the germans people, and american people. We notice my wife and me, she was with a white I-Pad under the desk texting one day when we arrived to make a reservation she look us like "why know". Then we when in the morning she was there with another nice girls. She was talking personal staff on the phone. You might say how you know explain you guys.My wife speak spanish and french, she was listening the conversation. Anyway that is something the we dont her personal conversation but looks really bad the kind of the hotel is like this and the have staff like this girl working on this hotel and also in this deparment "GUEST SERVICE".... ok we dont say anything because maybe she has authorization to use de cell phone, I-Pad and the hotel phone to make phone calls. I really my self ask few guys who she is and everyone tell me she is only another simple employee from the hotel the diferent is she think she is the owner....

My point is this: the hotel is ok and the staff is great but you all vacation people like this damage the image from the hotel and all the jobs the other staff those. We all my respect to the manager on guest service desk and hotel manager, how they can have a staff like this working in this hotel and over all in this "DEPARMENT GUEST SERVICE". I know whetever I say is not important to them. But if you guys go there dont go with this person really. remember the name is GHALIA curly hair and walk like she was the owner of the hotel and talk with a bad behavior. I feel sorry for her because she dont open the eyes and see, she is only another employee from this big company.. And I also hope they do something about it ... Thank you for read this i just tell you what i saw in my vacations...

Room Tip: choose the room far away from the pool side.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
11 Thank JUSTIN W
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your comments and the time you invested in writing us.

We sincerely value your comments and we can assure you that our Management has been informed about your unpleasant experience and observations. We are going to apply corrective measures where necessary in order to avoid similar problems in the future. Service quality is our major concern so we really do appreciate any comment that helps us to improve our service standards.

We hope that you afford us the opportunity to serve you again at Viva Wyndham Resorts.

Viva Wyndham Maya

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (604)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Sparks, Nevada
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We got a really good deal to stay here for 4 nights all inclusive. The food I have to say were definitely better than some resorts I've stayed in. There's plenty of fresh fruits and juices. There's top shelf alcohol available. The staff was very friendly and nice. The "VIP" section of the resort had these rooms with really bad sound proofing. The halls echo very loudly so you can hear everything going on outside of the rooms. The beach is beautiful. The walk to town is about 30-40min. Taxi ride is $7USD one way. We rented a car, so we parked in the parking lot right at the beginning of 5th Ave, and it only cost us 10 pesos an hour, which is much cheaper than taking a cab. Starbucks is right outside of the hotel across the street, so it's very convenient for us Starbucks lovers!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Truebleu11
Dear customer,

Thank you for publishing your positive review on TripAdvisor.

Our continuous commitment is to provide quality service to all off our guests. Therefore it is very rewarding receiving your positive feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.

Please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back at Viva Wyndham Maya.

Best regards,

Cap d'Ail, France
Reviewed December 17, 2012

My daughter and I have just returned home after spending ten days in this resort, which I can thoroughly recommend.
The staff are all extremely welcoming and friendly, hard-working and bend over backwards to provide excellent service and satisfy their customers.
The grounds, pools and beaches are amazing, well-cared for and kept absolutely spotless.
There's a very wide selection of food for every taste in the main self-service restaurant, and we also enjoyed meals at the Mexican, Italian and International restaurants, which required advance booking. We enjoyed eating outdoors at the pool restaurant, including breakfast, although less choice. Tip for coffee addicts - go to the bar for an excellent cup of coffee rather than have it served at the table from the large jugs.
The evening shows were all amazing - great entertainment and the performers are extremely talented and professional in their dance/acting/singing/trapeze routines.
A special thanks to Pedro for taking us out in the Catamaran, and also to Armando, José and others for keeping us entertained!
We had a very large bedroom with large bathroom on the ground floor of the 3000 block, facing the gardens and close to the "Relax Pool" - this suited us fine as it was nice and quiet, and although furthest away from the beach, it was only a few minutes walk. The room did, however, have a musty smell, but guess that's just due to the damp environment, although we had the air-con switched on. During our stay, a brand new micro-wave oven and alarm clock appeared in the room (we hadn't asked for these and didn't need to use them), but it goes to show that the rooms are well equipped.
The extra charge of 2 dollars a day for use of the safe seems a bit ludicrous, as does the one small bottle of complimentary water per room rationing, although the bar staff are happy to refill the bottles with water.
A great resort - I would gladly return.

Room Tip: If you're wanting a quiet room, request the 3000 block, facing the garden/relax pool.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank voyagemonde
Windsor, Ontario
Reviewed December 14, 2012

This was a great resort to be honest. From reading so-so reviews on here I was pleasantly surprised when being here for the first few days. For my group, it was a family trip of 13 including grandparents, aunts and uncles and cousins. This resort is perfect for anyone that needs a vacation. If you want to tan on the beach all day you can do that. If you walk down the beach to 5th Avenue you will see that Viva Maya has the best beach atmosphere along the whole beach. If you want to keep your self busy with activities like, ping pong, volleyball, archery, dancing and other sorts of fun games you can throughout the day. And if you just want to drink you can as well and still have a way better time that at home. The buffet gets a little boring after so many nights but there is a such a huge selection that I did not get to try everything. The A La Carte restaurants were very nice. The Mediterranean was my favourite because of the food, atmosphere and dedication from the staff at this restaurant. The shows that were put on by the resort every night were quite professional, entertaining, loud and exciting. This is great resort if you just want to hang out and have a good time at the resort. If you wish to go on a excursion I recommend that you talk to a few of the staff involved with the Animation team before booking one because they will have a more honest opinion about it rather than someone trying to sell you the excursion. My family learned the hard way and wasted the whole day when we would have easily preferred saving the money and hanging out at the resort. All in all this resort is great for family and friends, young or old. If you would like to ask me any questions you can email me at brandonm13@hotmail.com

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the bottom floor, preferably around the 1100 block because its such a central a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Brandon M
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just Returned from Whydham Maya, Playacar two days ago. The resort is in a great location, as are all of the resorts in Playacar. I found out that the room decor really varies by the room. I was fortunate to get a newly remolded room, however, the amenities really suck......the food was not good, the drinks taste like their watered down, even the cafe drinks were not good. The phone was not usable unless a deposit of $100 was left at the registration desk, the safe was $2 a day, the air condition hummed all the time, the Juzzci was great, most of the staff was friendly, I requested a room change because I was not comfortable being on the first floor at the front entrance of the resort, they accommodated me by offering 2 of the worst rooms on the 2nd floor, so I decided to stay in the room I had were everything was new. Their internet sucks, the free internet was limited and to have full use there was again a charge. The gym room should be shutdown and remolded or just closed. We did received a complimentary bottle of wine and a plate of fruit, as VIP guest of a member upon our arrival. I had a open and small balcony with grass in front that I was not comfortable with because of the small animals on the property and being able to see only what was in front but not on the sides. My room was in the pool area and there was a bar so that was nice. The pool water was very cold and unused. Everyone seem to just lay at the pool. Having a Plaza directly across the street was good for being able to go off the resort and shop without having to take a taxi all the time, we took a taxi several times to visit other areas in Playa Del Carmen.

I had the opportunity to compare this resort with Sandos playacar which is only a few kiliometers away. I stayed at the Sandos the first week, and I difinitely 'did not save the best for last'. By far Sandos was better than the Whydham Maya in every aspect. They were truly an all-inclusive resort. I look forward to returning to Sandos next year. The Wyndham Maya, probably never again. But, for the money, you probably got what was paid for.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear customer,

We appreciate the time you dedicated to write your remarks about your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya. Your review will assist us in our commitment to improve in all aspects of our operations.

We regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you at our resort.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Reviewed December 8, 2012

We just got back yesterday after a 5 night stay. Check in was a bit rough; they didn't have our room ready when we got to the room at 4:00 p.m. and the concierge called me "rude" for not wanting to attend their 90 minute sales presentation during the middle of the day (we left their crappy clay mayan calendar in the room)... Other than that, we had a fantastic time!

Meals were good at the buffet - not the most exotic selection we've experienced, but all good food, and the wait staff were incredibly attentive. Meals at the restaurants were really good. We weren't able to get into the Italian restaurant, but the Mediterranean had more Italian fare than anything. Pesto and carbonara were outstanding! Fresh fish and breads were outstanding. At the bar, you had choices of regular or top shelf drinks without paying extra. (Jose Cuervo, Bacardi, Captain Morgan, Malibu and Skyy were some of the choices!)

The beach is beautiful and well maintained. They had just gotten two stand-up paddle boards on our 3rd day there and we learned along with the staff and had a great time. (they were getting 3 more in a few days) They always met you at the beach to help you up with the equipment and were very accommodating!

The shows at nigh were soooo worth going to. The dancing and costumes were the best we've experienced in Mexico. Full Moon was a great show with outstanding aerial acrobats and a great version of "Thriller"!

Stay in the rooms near the quiet pool and spa if you want a quiet stay. All other rooms were around the pool where they blast music all day. Pillows left something to be desired, but other than that, the rooms were very nice. Work out room was great with lot's of options. The only downside was that it opened at 8 a.m. - we would have liked to have gone earlier.

If you have kids - the staff work overtime to make sure they are taken care of and entertained. For those of us sans kids, they were not too annoying.

As Americans - we were in the minority. This is a truly European resort! Lots of thongs and Speedo's on the beach and no one got too out of hand...Like us Americans can sometimes do! We had a fantastic trip and would come back again.

Room Tip: A room with the tennis courts on the roof are quiet. Get a "poolside room" in this block
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jats270
VivaWyndhamMaya, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Maya, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your valuable feedback about the stay you had at our property.

It is really rewarding to read your positive comments and we are glad to know that your stay at Viva Wyndham Maya was enjoyable.

Thank you for choosing our resort and for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

PA
Reviewed December 6, 2012

I'm by all means an average person this being our second stay at this resort once being in 2006. I have also stayed at other higher end resorts 6 times in this stretch of beach.
This resort is a small resort for families and those that wish to enjoy the beautiful ocean, beach and being close to town on a limited budget.
We arrived check in was good, room average but clean.
Entertainment team and shows very good. Trapeze was nice for all !
2 pools one quiet and one entertaining
Don't like that you can only book limited nights dining reservation based on your nights stay
Food-service and bar tender personnel work very hard
Snack bar- fair could use improvement pizza was a good stand by
Buffet- fair but could improve esp the layout and flow of the buffet. Food ok could always find something.
Sit down restaurants - very good Mexican we celebrated a birthday and they made it special.
Mediterranean- Maya and Oriental at the Viva Aztec - very good

#7 of 17 in Puerto Aventuras
Hotel Riu Playacar
Hotel Riu Playacar
#53 of 211 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Viva Wyndham Maya? Share your experiences!