My husband and I have just got back from our 2 week honeymoon. The hotel is beautiful and is the perfect location with 5th Avenue only a couple of minutes walk away.
The beach is ok, yes there are lots of sandbags which don't look great and its quite rocky but the bags are needed, it is possible to swim there but if you walk to the beach by the royal next door there aren't any sandags or rocks and its perfect. Jimmy the waiter on the beach was amazing, he worked so hard and was always happy, best waiter by far in the hotel. The drinks are lovely especially Mango Tango - amazing cocktail.
The beach food bar is practically the same everyday but be careful the burgers are not cooked properly and are pink inside. As for the food at yhe hotel, breakfast was lovely but lunch and dinner was just pure slop! However the Italian restaurant is out of this world! We went there 7 nights and our waiter Jamie was fabulous, so attentive and caring, all the staff there were so welcoming!
As for the room, we upgraded to an ocean view, the junior suite we were shown was awful and not what was shown on the website at all. Howeverthe upgrade was completely worth the additional money.
When we arrived at the hotel, they knew it was our honeymoon as our travel agency had put this down as our reason for travel. We were supposed to get a cake for 2 and a bottle of sparkling wine, did we get this? Of course not! We asked about it twice and were promised we would get it brought to our room. We even mentioned it to our rep who also spoke to the hotel and still we didn't get it. I don't think the reception or concierge really care about you or your stay and aren't that helpful.
Watch out, we had a massage and paid cash for it the following day with reception, they gave us a receipt which we couldn't read or understand as it was in spanish, on check out they tried to say we hadn't paid for the massage, the guy at reception has put the payment under a different room and they did not believe us at all. They even said they would check CCTV footage to see if they could identify us on the day handing over cash. We were so cross so spoke to our rep again and mentioned we still hadn't received our honeymoon package. Thankfully the payment issue was resolved however had our rep not got involved I don't think it would. The rep was told we would get a platter of fruit and a bottle of wine as an apology. Did we get this? Again of course not!
Grace on Guest Services was amazing though, I cannot thank her enough for her help when I wasn't well. She should be a treasured member of staff. Thelma our maid was also absolutely brilliant, she worked ever so hard everyday and did a fantastic job. She went out of her way to make our stay pleasant.
We booked Coco Bongo through Edgar at the entertainment stand by the pool, he was fab and what a quality night! A must for everyone!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On a beautiful, protected stretch of pristine beach in the heart of Playa del Carmen stands the spectacular Gran Porto Resort, just steps from Fifth Avenue's shops, clubs, and restaurants. Architecturally reminiscent of one of Mexico's finest haciendas, the resort welcomes couples, families, friends, and colleagues to the warm Caribbean breezes and azure seas of the Riviera Maya, where guests can experience the region's cultural heritage, relish all-inclusive luxuries, and enjoy genuine hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with BookIt.com, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire, Cancelon, HotelsforEveryone, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gran Porto Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Porto Real Hotel
- Gran Porto Real Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel Gran Porto Real
- Gran Porto Real Resort Spa
- Porto Real
- Grand Porto Real Playa Del Carmen
- Gran Porto Real Mexico
- Gran Porto Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico