“Honeymoon”
Review of Gran Porto Resort

Gran Porto Resort
Ranked #31 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed June 30, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have just got back from our 2 week honeymoon. The hotel is beautiful and is the perfect location with 5th Avenue only a couple of minutes walk away.

The beach is ok, yes there are lots of sandbags which don't look great and its quite rocky but the bags are needed, it is possible to swim there but if you walk to the beach by the royal next door there aren't any sandags or rocks and its perfect. Jimmy the waiter on the beach was amazing, he worked so hard and was always happy, best waiter by far in the hotel. The drinks are lovely especially Mango Tango - amazing cocktail.

The beach food bar is practically the same everyday but be careful the burgers are not cooked properly and are pink inside. As for the food at yhe hotel, breakfast was lovely but lunch and dinner was just pure slop! However the Italian restaurant is out of this world! We went there 7 nights and our waiter Jamie was fabulous, so attentive and caring, all the staff there were so welcoming!

As for the room, we upgraded to an ocean view, the junior suite we were shown was awful and not what was shown on the website at all. Howeverthe upgrade was completely worth the additional money.

When we arrived at the hotel, they knew it was our honeymoon as our travel agency had put this down as our reason for travel. We were supposed to get a cake for 2 and a bottle of sparkling wine, did we get this? Of course not! We asked about it twice and were promised we would get it brought to our room. We even mentioned it to our rep who also spoke to the hotel and still we didn't get it. I don't think the reception or concierge really care about you or your stay and aren't that helpful.

Watch out, we had a massage and paid cash for it the following day with reception, they gave us a receipt which we couldn't read or understand as it was in spanish, on check out they tried to say we hadn't paid for the massage, the guy at reception has put the payment under a different room and they did not believe us at all. They even said they would check CCTV footage to see if they could identify us on the day handing over cash. We were so cross so spoke to our rep again and mentioned we still hadn't received our honeymoon package. Thankfully the payment issue was resolved however had our rep not got involved I don't think it would. The rep was told we would get a platter of fruit and a bottle of wine as an apology. Did we get this? Again of course not!

Grace on Guest Services was amazing though, I cannot thank her enough for her help when I wasn't well. She should be a treasured member of staff. Thelma our maid was also absolutely brilliant, she worked ever so hard everyday and did a fantastic job. She went out of her way to make our stay pleasant.

We booked Coco Bongo through Edgar at the entertainment stand by the pool, he was fab and what a quality night! A must for everyone!

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank Emma C
GranPortoReal, General Manager at Gran Porto Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

dear guest

We offer our sincerest apologies, all comments are taken seriously and give appropriate follow-up to each of them, I would love to have the opportunity to have them back some day and give me the opportunity to serve you personally with the service you really deserve.

Reviewed June 27, 2013

14 members of our family gathered there for my 70th birthday, children and grandchildren.
My husband and I have been coming regularly twice a year, we hoped that the children would enjoy. They did and want to come back. Our great beach waiters Pablo along with Jose, were absolutely terrific and are worth their weight n gold.
The children and grand children snorkeled , canoe, the sail boat was a big hit, the bike rides in town, the shows at night, the putput, the ping pong, the volley ball on the beach etc. something to
Do all the time. The kids found food that they liked, great desserts and ice cream..the family junior suites with bunk beds were great. The staff was charming, always a smile, in the hallways, always made eye contact. The family reunion was a success, great pictures. Everyone is ready to go back.

2  Thank skipnmichele

Dear guest

We want to thank you for your kind comments, we work everyday to make your vacations really enjoyable and is satisfying to know you and your family had a great time with us. The next time you are coming please contact me directly, it will be a pleasure to assist you during your vacations.

General Manger

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Grand hotel in a great location in the center of tons of activities in Playa. Food was good and plentiful. Beach was small but nice. Lots of activities. Staff was friendly and responsive. They will hard sell you on a time-share (by whatever name they want to call it) so you have to be ready for that and not get sucked in by the pressure.

Room Tip: You'll get what you pay for of course but realize you'll spend little time in the room. The...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear guest

Thank you for choosing us for your vacations, it is very nice that you have post good comments about our resort, we hope to have the opportunity to host you back in the near future. Please contact me for anything you may need.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

Our first time in Playa Del Carmen. 7 of us traveled which included 5 young adults 18+. we were greeted in the lobby with a GREAT drink! We had room 235 AWESOME,HUGE with an ocean view! Kids had rooms 417 and 418 rooms are very small but right outside of the swim up bar. FELIPE IS AWESOME!!!! He's the only bartender at that bar but he will bend over backwards for anything you want!!! THANK YOU FELIPE!! The beach...yes there are sand bags and no this is not the hotels fault, this would be my only drawback. All you need to do is walk a few meters right or left of the Gran Porto and no more sand bags and terrific beaches. Food is ok, typical buffet style each item is hit or miss...family shows every night. There is always something going on at the pool thanks to Arturo, Angie, Verlan, Omar and Erick! These guys work so hard to make sure everyone is having fun THANK YOU ARTURO!!!!! Hotel is EXTREMELY CLEAN, and you can see that everyone works very hard to keep it clean. Yes, the lobby area is warm but it's open air what more can you expect you're in Playa Del Carmen! Air conditioning in the rooms works very well and if you need to cool off, go in your room! Room fridges are stocked with sodas, beer and water. We had 4 bottles of hard liquor in our room Vodka, Rum, tequila and whiskey. My husband and I aren't hard liquor drinkers but for those that are this is a great perk! Since its all included. Aaron bell boy was very helpful with a lot of suggestions for shops, restaurants. And all were great! You must talk to Edgar and book Coco Bongo! Coco Bongo is a MUST even if you're 40something. Thanks Edgar!

Bad? Concierge not very helpful...I needed my boarding passes printed and she would print them, because she was off work at 6 and it was 6:10 she said I could come back the next day she would be there by 9AM. She said i could have the front desk print them which they wanted me to by "Internet time" then email my passes to them, for printing. I came back at 9AM the next AM and concierge did not show up until 9:30...

Hotel is super close to 5th avenue where there are tons of shops, restaurants, bars and of course clubs!
All in all GREAT VACATION!

3  Thank doswords

Dear guest

Thank you for your comments, they make the effort from our staff worth it. I apologize for the detail with concierge, we will take action in this situation. we hope to host you back in the near future and enjoy the benefits from our repetitive guests

General manager

Reviewed June 25, 2013

There is obvious varying reviews for this property.

I just spent the last month, May 23rd - June 22nd, at the GPR and had a fantastic time.

The staff, Roberto, Omar, Errick, Angie, Arturo, Vernon, Julianna, Lundy and Lucy were great.

It is true that the beach is not the best but a walk in either direction for 2 minutes gives you access to the ocean and good beach front. The beach front was hit hard a few years ago by a hurricane.

Location is great as it next to the pier and 1 block away from 5th ave.

The food is what it is it's mexico, that said there is many choices on 5th ave for a change if needed.

I'll go back for a 4th visit for sure.

There was construction going on but only for a couple of days to enlarge the patio by the pool.

The rooms were very clean, beds a little hard though

The reviews provided seem to be from people

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank MHz937

Dear guest

Thank you for your kind comments, we hope that your fourth time in Playa del Carmen you will decide ton stay with us, it will be my pleasure to assist you personally.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

I wasn't too impressed overall. Front hotel staff was nice, spoke fluent English. Rest of the staff was not very fluent in English. House keeping was on top of their game, very quick to clean the rooms. I'm not a fan of heat, no air conditioning in the lobby (open area). Room was totally cooled. Beach was lined with sandbags to prevent corroding, not very attractive. My biggest gripe, the pool. Smaller pool because the hotel doesn't have a lot of real estate and no swimming after 9PM! Not even adult swim. No swim up bars. Pool was never cool, always warm. The hotel did have on site entertainment each night which was good. Food was bad, all international cuisine.

Room Tip: Request a room near the front desk so your closer to the action.

Dear guest

We want to thank you for your comments and for choosing us for your vacations, we are and hotel Mexican Hacienda style, that is why we have the lobby area open with some birds, the pool after 9:00pm it could disturb some of our guest, and the comfort and security are our priority for all our guests. Hopefully we will have the opportunity to host you back in the future

Best regards

Reviewed June 24, 2013

My husband and I traveled in a group of 33 people for our wedding in May 2013. This being both of our first trips to Mexico, we don't have a lot to compare it to, but I will say the staff is absolutely amazing! I know a few of our guests had issues with rooms, quality for food/beverage, but I suppose being the bride and groom you get special treatment, because I have absolutely nothing to complain about. When the Concierge found out we were the bride and groom we were upgraded to this massive master suite, it was absolutely stunning! My only complaints about the resort would be the beach and the service was hit and miss. The sandbags, algae and rocky bottom of the water was a complete turn off. Our second day on the resort I tipped the beach waiter $10 usd expecting to end up being waited on for the rest of the days, but never once saw the waiter again.

Would I stay at this resort again? Probably not, the beach is a huge deal for me and the whole sandbag situation kind of killed it for me, apparently the Royal (right across the street) is the place to stay if you are looking at this chain of resorts.

As for the wedding, all I can say is that it was more than I could have ever dreamed of! Denys Madrigal was our wedding coordinator and she was fan-freakin-tastic! The day of the wedding it POURED and she was quick on the draw to make sure everything was moved inside and perfect. I was really upset that our beach wedding was quickly turning into an indoor wedding, that is until I walked into the banquet hall and saw the set up. It was more than I ever imagined, plus more! I would definitely trust Royal Weddings to plan and coordinate everything wedding, I just wouldn't suggest Gran Porto Real.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ci_baby87

Dear guest

I would like to thank you for your comments, unfortunately we do not have control of the mother nature, but we work very hard everyday to keep the beach in the best conditions as possible, regarding the waiter service we will take action in this situation to assure the best service to our guests everywhere in the hotel. I would like to have the opportunity to host you back and attend you personally.