“November Vacation” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #28 of 212 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Ottawa, Canada
“November Vacation”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2012

This was our third time in the riveria maya and the second time at the Gran Porto Real. I went with my family for the week and we had a great time. We love to spend time at the beach and we were thankful the beach was a lot better this trip than the previous, they've done a lot of work to it. There was some construction noise, but it was only during working hours and the parts they have renovated looks fantastic. Our favorite restaurant there is still is Pescatore, we appreciate the service they provide.

My wife is a spa fanatic and she always goes to the spa no matter where we go on vacation. She dragged me along this time and we met Karina at the front reception and she was very friendly and knowledgable. She recommended the treatment to my wife and I and it was incredibly relaxing. Lucy was our therapist and I would suggest you ask for her, my wife thought it was the best massage she ever had.

We always come back to the porto real because of the great location right downtown in playa, but more importantly the service the staff at the hotel provide. If you're heading to the riveria this is where I would recommend you go.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank RobertM68

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,665)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
North Haven, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

This was my second trip to this hotel.Nov 15 thru Nov 24. And just like the first time I had a wonderful vacation. Others have written about the location being close to 5th ave, the warm sunny climate and comfortable rooms. But I think the greatest asset this hotel has are their employees.They truly make you feel welcome and special. From the lobby,pool & beach servers Meriam,Pablo,Jose and Teresa to the barmen Adal,Dave,Miguel,David and Nicolas each one of them made sure to see to your evey need. One of the security gaurds Victor M was always around to help with questions and problems. And a most sincere Thank You to two entertainment team members Verlain and Cynthia.Verlain who did the impossible he got me off my poolside lounge chair and onto the beach vollyball court. I assure you that was no easy task but he did it.And Cynthia with a charming smile and a terrific personality.Unfortunitly she refuses to marry me.I would not hesitate to return here for another very pleasant vacaton.
Once again to one and all I say Thank You. Brian H

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank brian h
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

I want to express my opinion of this beautiful resort in playa del carmen, the service was great specially the front desk agent enrique and the waiters , i had a wonderful time with my family , we want to come back soon. Very nice location close to the fifth ave , night clubs, restaurants, etc.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank rmena12
Poland, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Wouldn't think Mexico would be able to pull off good Italian food, but this place is great! Service, Food, atmosphere - all enjoyable and right across the street from the resort!

West Milford, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

We just spent 6 days at this resort as a celebration of my parents 50th wedding anniversary. My niece, sister, brother in law and myself each enjoyed a fantastic massage at the spa. Ana Clemente the massage therapist was excellent. Being a fan of massage therapy it was one of the best massages I ever had. Teresa who was our waitress on the beach was top notch. She remembered what everyone was drinking (including the kids) and was always attentive to my family's needs. Dinner on the beach was a special occasion thanks to Antonio, Rotilio, Hector, Nicolas & Comacho. All of the employees were so nice and friendly. We would recommend this resort to everyone. The rooms were clean and the view of the ocean was beautiful. The shows were fun to watch and a great time was had by all. Thank You!

Room Tip: Overlook the pool and beach!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Donna Jean N N
WILLIAMS LAKE
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

This all inclusive 5 STAR resort in Playa del Carmen was our best trip ever to Mexico. They have great beds, very clean throughout the whole resort and really great staff. There is awesome food in the buffet and especially at the al la cart Italian Restaurant, Il Pescatore. Their wine list there was superb and the sommelier, Alejandro Moo Canche is so knowledgeable in both International and Mexican wines that we had to sample the best from their home land. We were not disappointed! The wines from Mexico were so tasty compared to those that we have access to here in B.C., Canada.
We had great service by all staff including May Gerardo in the buffet restaurant, Jose the pool side server and Alejandro Moo Canche and his incredible staff at the Italian Restaurant.
The beach was a bit to be desired but only a few meters away is their sister resort’s lovely beach that we enjoyed daily. Unfortunately “Wilma” hit the Gran Porto Real resort in October 2005 and destroyed the beach in front of this wonderful establishment.
Best of all was how many Canadians were in Playa del Carmen! We made many new friends from all over Canada and have already booked our trip for next year. See you all again soon!
Adios

Room Tip: We chose a room on the 5th floor which has really nice verandas to sit outside in the evening. I kno...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cheryl_858
Mexico
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

Georgina, Andrea, Melissa, Joselyn and Kika took great care of my daughter (7). The kids had events every day, a beach party, pirates show, making cookies. Thanks again to the girls at Oki Fun World.

We were first put in a room that had a door joining our room to another. Right away we noticed a pungent smell in the room, but opening the balcony remedied that. Unfortunately, In the morning we awoke to a strong smell of cigarettes and headaches. It seems that our neighbor was smoking a lot in their room and all the smoke was passing through the adjoining door. We were moved to another (mich nicer room) of course, but only after waiting several hours for another room to be ready, in effect losing the whole morning to the move.

Overall the itself is OK. The food is not great, not many healthy options. The fruit and salads are rather tasteless. After 3 days I had enough. Unfortunately the restaurants open at 6pm, and due to the Jazz Festival starting at 7pm each night, we were forced to stick to the buffet. The drinks bar is good though.

Internet access is so so, it basically works only in the lobby, the rooms barely even get a cell signal.

The service is excellent though. Everyone that works there is absolutely wonderful. Everyone goes out of their way to make you feel welcome.

Room Tip: Skip rooms with connecting doors!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business