Our one week visit to Playa Del Carmen was amazing. And our stay at Gran Porto greatly contributed to that! Arrived on Oct 28th, hour and a half before check-in, but we had used the online check-in 48 hours earlier and they were ready and waiting: lovely beverage, checked in, and straight to our room.
Our room! 1st floor Ocean View Jr Suite. Breathtaking sunrise every morning. I like my morning coffee, so first morning was spent on our balcony, sipping the brew, listening to the waves. As the grounds-keeper neared, I said 'good morning', and with her reply, she picked and handed me two yellow hibiscus blooms. What a way to start the week!
From the couple's steak and lobster dinner on the beach, to the Italian resturant - including conversation with the chef/manager who wanted our opinion on the bottle of wine we selected, a new one on his list, to our couples massage on the beach, drinks in the shade at the 3rd floor quiet pool, drinks brought to us all week by Huber at the main pool, and our amazing hostess Grace, who was ready to answer any questions we had.....ok, there's just really too much to list here!
Location, location, location: this might be top of my list. Literally steps from PDC's 5th avenue, and blocks from the pier/ferry to Cozumel. And all the shops, vendors, cafe's, clubs in between. I love being in walking distance to any and everything, able to change gears on a whim.
Construction and sand bags: What, you've never had to update, remodel, maintain your own property? Sure, both these were plentious during our week there. But seriously, we were so overwhelmed with all the wonderful aspects of our trip that this wasn't going to put a dent in our stay. I guess this, like everything in life, is a matter of perspective though.
Kids: Well, there'd be a huge shortage of adults if there were never any kids. Still, we might consider Royal, adults-only sister property across the way from Gran Porto, for our next visit. Mostly they were pleasant and enjoyable and not much of a distraction (exception: the little varments that were running around the lobby bar area, 'diving' in and out of the ice bucket being prepped for 'emergency' wine tasting when we got a heavy, couple hours long rain shower that drove everyone indoors). But even they were a bit entertaining - the only video I made during our stay - tempted to put it on you-tube - but thought better of it. ;D
Recommendation: Go for it! You won't be disappointed. Hope to see everyone next year!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- On a beautiful, protected stretch of pristine beach in the heart of Playa del Carmen stands the spectacular Gran Porto Resort, just steps from Fifth Avenue's shops, clubs, and restaurants. Architecturally reminiscent of one of Mexico's finest haciendas, the resort welcomes couples, families, friends, and colleagues to the warm Caribbean breezes and azure seas of the Riviera Maya, where guests can experience the region's cultural heritage, relish all-inclusive luxuries, and enjoy genuine hospitality. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Orbitz, Priceline, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelsClick, HotelsforEveryone, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Panama Jack Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Porto Real Hotel
- Gran Porto Real Playa Del Carmen
- Hotel Gran Porto Real
- Gran Porto Real Resort Spa
- Porto Real
- Grand Porto Real Playa Del Carmen
- Gran Porto Real Mexico
- Panama Jack Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico