“Home away from Home”

Ranked #30 of 211 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Vancouver, BC
“Home away from Home”
Reviewed May 18, 2012

Me and my girlfriend just went here for the 5th time April 16, 2012.
This is our home away from home, we always feel safe, the location is excellent and the food is fantastic. The staff here treat you like you are royalty and I miss all of them already….
From check-in at the Front Desk with Mayella, and Ricardo to check-out with Freddie our Bellboy and his wonderful crew the whole process was flawless. And even the gracious kitchen staff packed us a wonderful lunch to take on our trip back home
I cannot say enough about the “Animation Team” this team is over the top incredible with all the programs of activities everyday to all they do for you personally…Miguel, Victor, Cesar, Enso, Ivan and the lovely Diana, (what a sweetheart) ----I miss you all !!!……
Alex, the lifeguard on duty actually had to save a little boy while we were there, “You are our hero Alex!!!” Thank-you for keeping everyone safe and happy.
The 24 hour room was always stocked with tasty surprises and loads of alcohol thanks to the kitchen staff and Verlain another “Big Sweetheart.”
The bartenders outside would just see us walking towards them and our drinks were ready for us by the time we got to the bar….thanks so much Miguel, Lorenzo and anyone I am forgetting the name of….. the staff that served us drinks around the pool were so gracious and friendly, Huber, Merriam, Teresa, Jesus, Jose, Pablo Picasso, they work so hard in that hot sunshine and never stop smiling.
The bartender Aurelio at the swim-up sushi bar was also great, however I would just like to see some nachos and cheese offered there for us “non-sushi” eaters……..maybe next time.
The buffet always had a nice variety of items, my hats off to all of the chefs and staff that work here.
The attendant that filled our fridge in our room and our housekeeper, were right on the ball and did a fabulous job.
Security (Victor) and Maintenance who all helped us at one time or another were super fast , friendly and efficient…....(sorry about the clogged toilet)……
Forgive me as I cannot remember everyone’s name but all of the staff at this resort are exceptional
The pool and beach are beautiful and If you want to live the life of luxury just for a little while, this is the resort for you.
Lynn the General Manager is a “Class Act,” and she made sure we wanted for nothing.
Thank-you so much Lynn for your gracious hospitality and a special thank-you to all of your beautiful incredible staff.
We had the time of our lives….. Until next time……..
Mama “D” & Jo

Room Tip: I love the ocean so I always choose the Ocean Front Junior Suite.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank DarlisD

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,743)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I was a friends wedding last week at your hotel. I was not planing to attend because of personal reasons, any how I did. I got threre on the 9th of MAY and was scheduled to leave on the 14th. The wedding was amazzzzing, the mariachi, the D.J. not to mention the service staff attention to detail. to make this story short, I wanna say thank you again to AVILA, MIGUEL, HUGO, FILIX, PABLO, NICOLAS, FERNANDA, and all the service staff from the front desk all the way to the gavitas pool bartenders and cocktail servers. I ended up staying two extra days just because of that. Hope to see you all soon. THAKS FOR THE IMPECABLSERVICE!!!!
FERNANDO FROM THE "SALTY D, CALI"

Room Tip: Rooms facin beach or street. Make sure you TIP the staff.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank fernando g
Fontana, California
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My husband and I spent 6 days in the Gran Porto Real and it was perfect! This was our second visit to Playa Del Carmen and we love this resort! It is laid back and very family orientated. We loved it so much we brought another couple to share our experience.

Let me start out with our first night arriving, we chose to eat at the Italian restaurant Pescatori. It was fabulous!!! Our waiter Ton and other staff members truly made our experience special. Delicious wine, food, and service! What more can anyone ask for? We ate a different night as well and asked for Ton’s service again! So friendly, talkative and he enjoys serving his customers!

Activities throughout the day were a blast! This was my first time ever playing beach volleyball and it was so much fun. Chicken asked us to start a game and we did. Best decision I ever made! We played every opportunity we had. Ivan, Rogelio and Cynthia would also fill in at times if we needed extra players. You have to try it!!! Pool volleyball was fun too and aqua aerobics! All I can say is participate! It is well worth it to get the full experience! Games, Kayaking and bicycle tour to Playacar are all so much fun!!!!

Exceptional service at the beach bar was a daily routine for these guys!!! Lorenzo Avila, Miguel Luna, Fily, Hugo, Hirahm and Alex take pride in their job. They offer exceptional drinks and have your next drink ready before asking!! Service with a smile all day long!!! Our pool waiters and waitresses were quick and efficient! Pablo always has a huge smile and so friendly! He also brought me different drinks to try out that were delicious as well! Fernanda, Jesus, Miriam and Elizabeth, work all day with a smile! Poolside or on the beach, the drinks keep coming!

Miriam, thank you for keeping our room beautiful and clean! Loved all the towel decorations and fresh flowers everyday!!!!

Once again, thank you to all the staff members for making GPR a trip to remember!! We will definitely see you all next year!! XOXO

Laura & Jimmy Lopez

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank jimmyz285
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed May 17, 2012

We spent ten days at the Gran Porto at the end of April and can only once again give this hotel two thumbs up! This was our third time to this hotel and we will be back again. The location is wondeful, accomodation clean and luxurious (am comparing to other 4 star hotels in the Caribbean) and the service outstanding. From the front desk where the smiles of the girls Yandelay and Claudia and Carlos of course where always helpful and accomodating to the beach where Pablo or Jesus were always attentive at bringing drinks - we were never disappointed.

The food at all three restaurants is outstanding. A big thanks to Mora, Carlos, Daniel and Florencio who were so helpful every day at the Albatros and took great care of us. Also Antonio in the evening...thank you. In both Marias and Il Pescatore the hosts and the service are five star. Love love love it....and you can eat in them every night if you like.

My family love this hotel and consider going to the Gran Porto our home away from home. The staff take great pride in their jobs and make you feel truly welcome when you get there. Cant wait to go back.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SunLass6
Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada
Reviewed May 15, 2012

Me and my wife spent 10 days in the Gran Porto Real, it was fairly busy when we arrived but the front desk people worked quickly to get us in our room. The entire staff was extremely helpful and curtious, something that we do not get in our own hometown. The breakfast was always great with tons of choices. The snack bar on the beach was good, and the bartenders were pretty quick with the drinks. We had brought our own cups (extra large) and we were not scared to hand them over to them, they always came back topped right up with whatever we wanted!! The Mexican and Italian restaruants were amazing, great food and excellent servers. With a new menu every night, we never got bored of the food. The beach was good but I would recommend some type of water shoe as there is some coral that gets a bit rough on your feet. Our room was fantastic, very comfortable bed, I never dared lay down on it unless I was going to bed, I would always pass right out!! It was thoroughly cleaned everyday and the fridge restocked. The spa is exceptional, very quiet and relaxing, I'm sure the poor lady had to try a few times to wake me up after my massage!! There is tons of stuff to do around the hotel, 5th ave, ferry to Cozumel, fishing etc all within a few minutes walk from your room!! We will definitly go back again and bring our kids and family along!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Myron K
Reviewed May 15, 2012

The service we got from our waiter, Antonio May, in the Albatross evening dining was the best service we have ever experienced. Ana our hostess was most gracious and friendly. The food from chef Enrique, Tocuch an Capitan Drturo was most flavorful and gets a perfect score. To our bar tenders from Gaviotas bar, Miguel, Avila, Fily and Cesar Moreno, we could not have had better service or friendship we made during our stay. And can't say enough about all the staff, Rodriguez, Jimenes, Mareno, Marco and all the staff, too. Many to mention all, but these people take pride in what they do and we would recommend this resort to anyone looking to be treated with utmost respect and to make many friends to make you smile and laugh!
We will be returning on many occasions and hope to meet up with all our new found friends. Definitely one of the top vacations we have ever taken and look forward to. Many more at the Real resorts, especially the Gran Porto. Real!

Thanks to all the staff
Darren and Kelly

• Stayed May 2012
2 Thank Sd90mac
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 14, 2012

My Wife and I stayed at the Gran Porto Real for 10 days from April 24th to May 4th, 2012. This was our second time at this resort having attended a destination wedding last year. We were accompanied by two of our good friends who had stayed here on six previous occasions.

Once again, we all enjoyed our time at the GPR immensely. Our room was a Junior Suite - Ocean Front on the 3rd floor. The view was beautiful and pictureque with the fishing boats lined up on shore.

The food in the buffet was very good, especially the breakfast. At night, we had Jamie make us Spanish and Mayan coffee. You need to see his fiery and artistic performance - the coffee was of so smooth and declicious.

The staff, as mention throughout the reviews here, was exceptional. At the poolside, our accolades go to the servers: Jose, Pablo, Jesus, Teresa, Elizabeth and Captain, Elizard.

Thank you, for your daily entertainment and friendly conversations in the mornings - Chicken, Ivan & Cynthia. We also enjoyed our time with Verlain in the 24 hour coffee bar. He is an energetic and a delightful young man to talk to.

Finally, thank you Ana for keeping our room so tidy and neat. We loved the towel sculptures that you made each day.

We will be returning next year.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends