“Perfect!”
Review of Your Private Tour

Your Private Tour
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We snorkel the Caribbean and tour the Mayan Ruins, Chichen Itza, Coba and others,snorkel, Zip Line through the dense jungle over a huge centoe,canoe,cliff jump,visit a Mayan village and explore underground river system called Cenotes and much more!! We use newer vans,bi-lingual guides, new good quality sanitary equipment,exceptional quality food at a beach restaurant while providing lots of fun, new experiences and safety.
Reviewed October 9, 2012

Was just the two of us on the tour! Private. Taken to very private secluded locations. Jay and Hector are great! Went to Tulum early to avoid the crowds.

3  Thank Heidi L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,067)

Reviewed October 7, 2012

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon in Playa and I can tell you Your Private Tour turned out to be the highlight of our trip! This was our first time traveling outside the US and we were very worried about safety after hearing and seeing all the bad things on TV we just didn't want to get suckered in to anything dangerous or put ourselves in a bad situation since we would have absolutely no phone service.

When we got to the resort I talked to the concierge lady and she seemed like she had never heard of Your Private Tour and she was trying to sell me her tours. So I called Jay and he was SO reassuring and answered all my crazy questions. Apparently they were just acting like that to sell their tours and he picks up people at that resort all the time. Jay has some of the best customer service I have ever encountered...(Might I also add I even e-mailed him at almost midnight the night before with small question and he e-mailed me right back even at that hour!)

It poured rain all night and the next morning Jay called my room and let me know that everything was okay, he had checked the weather and we were still on.Then Rod came to pick us up and was on time and spoke VERY good english and was so kind and friendly right from the start. This helped us feel so comfortable and he explained our whole tour. We chose the Tulum and basic tour. We got to Tulum early before all the other tourists and it was AMAZING! Jay met us there to introduce himself and he is just as kind and friendly as Rod! Jay even bought me homemade coconut ice cream for the ride to the cenote!

Next we went to Dos Ojos cenote, neither my husband or I had ever snorkeled and although it was easy for me my husband had a hard time learning and Rod was so patient and never made us feel like beginners even though obviously he is an expert! The fresh water was a little chilly but the underwater views were awesome.

We then went to a lagoon type place that was a mix of fresh water and sea water and that was my favorite part!!!!! There were hundreds of beautiful fish and we even saw TWO EELS!!!!, a jellyfish and a few barracudas!!! Rod would lead us around and point to things and had an awesome eye because I would have never seen those things if he didnt point them out to us. By the end we I was diving around underwater and my previously scared husband was snorkeling with no lifejacket! Rod truly did a great job not only guiding but teaching us!

Lastly, we had lunch at an awesome place on the beach and it was DELICIOUS! I ordered the fish tacos yummm!

We tried to go swim with the sea turtles as planned but the beach was closed down due to the recent storms so we were sad but Jay gave us our money back and now we can't wait until our next trip to come do another tour and see the turtles!!! Thank you so much for the awesome adventure.

May I also note--- we went on one of the 'tours' scheduled by the resort later in the week and it was NO COMPARISON! we were in a stinky van with tons of people and left an hour early, waited an hour after for all the stops etc. Spend the money on Your Private Tour and YOU WON'T REGRET IT :]!!!!! Thanks again guys!

4  Thank Thea406
yucatanjay, Owner at Your Private Tour, responded to this reviewResponded October 11, 2012

when you called with your concerns i felt badly that the hotel tried to give you doubts about us. it is happening more and more because they are pressured to sell for the resorts and they also earn commission. we loved having you with us and getting to show you how really safe and beautiful it is in the Riviera Maya. please take care of yourselves and come back! we have lots of other locations to show you. thank you for being so honest and straight forward. i am pleased that it all worked out! take care! your new ice cream eating pal, jay

Reviewed October 7, 2012

We really wanted to go t Punta Laguna monkey reserve, but none of the tour companies in Playa wold take us there. So we booked these guys to drive just the two of us out there, the tour guide was lovely and friendly, and knowledgeable abut the area.
A guide from the local Mayan village took us round the monkey reserve and it was amazing.
We were then taken to the beautiful Dos Ojos cenote, and the private tour guide was very helpful and patient, as we were beginner snorkelers.
Lastly we wee taken to a lovely restaurant by the sea in a small town that we had comletely missed.
A lovely day all together and a good price.

3  Thank Ben N
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My husband and I have been visiting Playa del Carmen since 2000. Over the past 12 years we've managed to do almost every trip and excursion offered. We were traveling with another couple and wanted to share something different, better and memorable with them. I decided to check Tripadvisor for best tour(s) and lucky me "Your Private Tour" popped up. After reading nothing, but excellent reviews I decided to book it. It was by far better than what we had in mind, the best time spent, the best money spent and the highlight of our trip! At first I was worried that we were doing too many stops in one day...as I added Tulum and the Zipline, but we had plenty of time at each spot and NEVER felt rushed. Rod was beyond informative, helpful, fun and overall a great guy!! Robert stayed in the van and always had water for us when we returned and the van was always tidied up. How many tours can you take where you create your own itinerary and you're only with 3-6 people? That alone is worth every penny(peso)!! After a packed day of sight seeing, snorkeling, canoeing and zip lining we were treated to one of the best meals I had on our vacation!! GREAT food, service and view. I have nothing but stellar things to say about Your Private Tour and the wonderful people who run it! My only heads up is that they only take cash, pesos or Travels Checks. I assumed (which is totally my fault) that we could pay with a credit card....we just would have brought more cash to Mexico with us. Oh, and DO the photos!!! It's SO worth it!! Thank you Jay and Rob for the best Private Tour EVER!!!! You truly made our vacation!! xoxo Stacey

3  Thank Behee17
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am a newlywed who had never been to Mexico or any other country other than the USA for that matter. My wife and I had looked on Tripadvisor for the best tour or attraction in Playa Del Carmen. The tour company that ranked number one was "Your Private Tour". I read a lot of reviews when making our decision and taking the advice of many selected Your Private Tour. It was the best decision I could have made. These guys really have the act together and for the price it was definitely the best money I spent on our honeymoon. Our guide was Rod and our driver was Roberto. We chose to do a 4 attraction package that included Tulum, 3 snorkeling sites, and lunch on the beach. Rod and Roberto picked us up promptly at 8 am or maybe a little before and he introduced himself and we felt very comfortable right away. He explained the order or our tour and what we would encounter along the way. He was very knowledgeable about the area and the different sites we would visit. He showed us maps of the area and pictures and descriptions of some of the wildlife we would see and interact with. Our first stop was Tulum. Rod had already bought our tickets to the site and our bracelets for the trolley to the ruins.He did let us know that he would not be able to accompany us to the ruins, but would be ready go when we experienced all we wanted. We arrived at Tulum before any other tourist or groups could be seen. We beat all the big groups and were able to walk around and take photos of all the ruins before anyone made it there. Tulum was beautiful! The ocean views and the ruins atop one of the highest points in the Yucatan. We met back up with Rod after our excursion and when we made it back the owner Jay and his mother met up with us to introduce themselves. Jay being a fellow Texan made for an even bigger bonus. He was very polite and told us no matter what from this point foward we had friends in Playa del Carmen. He really knows how to make you feel welcome in a country that is unfamiliar to me. After we left Tulum, Rod took us to Dos Ojos Cenote. He explained why it was named Two Eyes and that it was a haven for cave divers from around the world. Once again he bought our bracelets and we were on our way to the cave opening. We drove through the Mayan jungle and pulled up to our destination. He had all of our gear ready for us to use with brand new snorkels. He also provided dive masks and flippers. We changed and started for the Cenote. As we made our way down to the cave opening Rod described how the cave was formed and how the water drains from the limestone through to the roots of the trees and into the Cenote. When we were ready to begin with our dive, Rod made sure all our gear fit properly and explained how to get used to the water. The water was cold, but not unbareable. We were used to it in a couple of minutes. We purchased the photo option for our tour and Rod took great photos throughout our tour of Dos Ojos. He explained that he would dive down farther to take photos under the water. I had never been snorkeling before and Rod was very helpful at getting me acclimated to the water and gear. We saw amazing rock formations and really deep water. It is something you would have to see to believe. Rod told us that the movie the Cave was shot in this spot. We we around the cenote and ended up in the bat cave. It was just like something out of the movie. Very cool to say the least. Rod did an excellent job of taking photos and making sure everything was ok with us. Our third stop was in Akumal Bay. Here we had all our gear which include a life vest. It helped a lot with the waves in the ocean. Rod took us out in the bay and we immediately found the sea turtles. I think the final count was around 12. He said that was the most he had seen in a while. These animals were amazing! I have a new found respect for the sea turtle. They are very majestic creatures. I am not sure if they realized we were there, but the pics we got from Rod are proof we were. This was one of the best experiences on our honeymoon. Our fourth stop was in a natual aquarium with brackish water called Yal-Ku. Being a fish lover, this was the highlight of the trip for me. The water was really interesting. Some of it was cold freshwater and it mixed with warm saltwater of the ocean. This was really cool because it let you see all types of sea life living together in their natural habititat. We snorkeled here for a while and Rod took even more great pics. He told us about some of the fish and got some great shots of a juvenile barracuda. After we were finished there, Rod took us to a little restaurant on the beach called La Buena Vida. It was very nice and overlooked the bay. The wait staff were great and made sure we were taken care of. The lime soup and chicken fajitas were phenomenal! Rod took this time to show us the pics he had taken from the tour and then took one final one of us with the bay in the background. Rod then gave us some time to ourselves to enjoy our lunch and the surrounding sites. This was the perfect way to end the day. After lunch Rod and Roberto took us back to our hotel. On the way we had told him that we would definitely use this tour service again. We discussed a Whale Shark dive and going to Coba the next time we are in Playa. We plan on going back next summer and taking advantage of Rod's time again. I can't thank Jay and Rod enough for making this the highlight of our honeymoon and stay in Playa del Carmen. If you have a chance to use these guys you should definitely get on their books ASAP. Jay and Rod, we look forward to seeing y'all again soon! Thank for everything!

3  Thank Scott M
yucatanjay, Owner at Your Private Tour, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

as soon as i opened trip advisor and saw your photo a huge grin took over my face! then i read your review and want to say thank you for being with us. what a lovely young couple. i know you will have a blessed marriage if you keep doing what you are doing. God bless you!