“Best Tour Ever! Way to go Rod and Jay!”
Review of Your Private Tour

Your Private Tour
Ranked #3 of 376 Tours in Playa del Carmen
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: We snorkel the Caribbean and tour the Mayan Ruins, Chichen Itza, Coba and others,snorkel, Zip Line through the dense jungle over a huge centoe,canoe,cliff jump,visit a Mayan village and explore underground river system called Cenotes and much more!! We use newer vans,bi-lingual guides, new good quality sanitary equipment,exceptional quality food at a beach restaurant while providing lots of fun, new experiences and safety.
Dallas, Texas
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Best Tour Ever! Way to go Rod and Jay!”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I am a newlywed who had never been to Mexico or any other country other than the USA for that matter. My wife and I had looked on Tripadvisor for the best tour or attraction in Playa Del Carmen. The tour company that ranked number one was "Your Private Tour". I read a lot of reviews when making our decision and taking the advice of many selected Your Private Tour. It was the best decision I could have made. These guys really have the act together and for the price it was definitely the best money I spent on our honeymoon. Our guide was Rod and our driver was Roberto. We chose to do a 4 attraction package that included Tulum, 3 snorkeling sites, and lunch on the beach. Rod and Roberto picked us up promptly at 8 am or maybe a little before and he introduced himself and we felt very comfortable right away. He explained the order or our tour and what we would encounter along the way. He was very knowledgeable about the area and the different sites we would visit. He showed us maps of the area and pictures and descriptions of some of the wildlife we would see and interact with. Our first stop was Tulum. Rod had already bought our tickets to the site and our bracelets for the trolley to the ruins.He did let us know that he would not be able to accompany us to the ruins, but would be ready go when we experienced all we wanted. We arrived at Tulum before any other tourist or groups could be seen. We beat all the big groups and were able to walk around and take photos of all the ruins before anyone made it there. Tulum was beautiful! The ocean views and the ruins atop one of the highest points in the Yucatan. We met back up with Rod after our excursion and when we made it back the owner Jay and his mother met up with us to introduce themselves. Jay being a fellow Texan made for an even bigger bonus. He was very polite and told us no matter what from this point foward we had friends in Playa del Carmen. He really knows how to make you feel welcome in a country that is unfamiliar to me. After we left Tulum, Rod took us to Dos Ojos Cenote. He explained why it was named Two Eyes and that it was a haven for cave divers from around the world. Once again he bought our bracelets and we were on our way to the cave opening. We drove through the Mayan jungle and pulled up to our destination. He had all of our gear ready for us to use with brand new snorkels. He also provided dive masks and flippers. We changed and started for the Cenote. As we made our way down to the cave opening Rod described how the cave was formed and how the water drains from the limestone through to the roots of the trees and into the Cenote. When we were ready to begin with our dive, Rod made sure all our gear fit properly and explained how to get used to the water. The water was cold, but not unbareable. We were used to it in a couple of minutes. We purchased the photo option for our tour and Rod took great photos throughout our tour of Dos Ojos. He explained that he would dive down farther to take photos under the water. I had never been snorkeling before and Rod was very helpful at getting me acclimated to the water and gear. We saw amazing rock formations and really deep water. It is something you would have to see to believe. Rod told us that the movie the Cave was shot in this spot. We we around the cenote and ended up in the bat cave. It was just like something out of the movie. Very cool to say the least. Rod did an excellent job of taking photos and making sure everything was ok with us. Our third stop was in Akumal Bay. Here we had all our gear which include a life vest. It helped a lot with the waves in the ocean. Rod took us out in the bay and we immediately found the sea turtles. I think the final count was around 12. He said that was the most he had seen in a while. These animals were amazing! I have a new found respect for the sea turtle. They are very majestic creatures. I am not sure if they realized we were there, but the pics we got from Rod are proof we were. This was one of the best experiences on our honeymoon. Our fourth stop was in a natual aquarium with brackish water called Yal-Ku. Being a fish lover, this was the highlight of the trip for me. The water was really interesting. Some of it was cold freshwater and it mixed with warm saltwater of the ocean. This was really cool because it let you see all types of sea life living together in their natural habititat. We snorkeled here for a while and Rod took even more great pics. He told us about some of the fish and got some great shots of a juvenile barracuda. After we were finished there, Rod took us to a little restaurant on the beach called La Buena Vida. It was very nice and overlooked the bay. The wait staff were great and made sure we were taken care of. The lime soup and chicken fajitas were phenomenal! Rod took this time to show us the pics he had taken from the tour and then took one final one of us with the bay in the background. Rod then gave us some time to ourselves to enjoy our lunch and the surrounding sites. This was the perfect way to end the day. After lunch Rod and Roberto took us back to our hotel. On the way we had told him that we would definitely use this tour service again. We discussed a Whale Shark dive and going to Coba the next time we are in Playa. We plan on going back next summer and taking advantage of Rod's time again. I can't thank Jay and Rod enough for making this the highlight of our honeymoon and stay in Playa del Carmen. If you have a chance to use these guys you should definitely get on their books ASAP. Jay and Rod, we look forward to seeing y'all again soon! Thank for everything!

3 Thank Scott M
yucatanjay, Owner at Your Private Tour, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
as soon as i opened trip advisor and saw your photo a huge grin took over my face! then i read your review and want to say thank you for being with us. what a lovely young couple. i know you will have a blessed marriage if you keep doing what you are doing. God bless you!

Caterham, United Kingdom
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“'Your Private Tour'”
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My companion and I, first time visitors to the Riviera Maya, scoured Tripadvisor for months before our trip – searching for hints on the best excursions to book. We eventually chose three: ‘Your Private Tour,’ Rio Secreto, and Selvatica. Of these, all three were excellent, but ‘Your Private Tour’ was our very favourite.

We were taken first to Tulum – arriving as early as possible to avoid not only the worst of the heat, but also the worst of the crowds. It was nice that tickets for the trolley between the car park and the site were included (this was very much appreciated in the already high temperatures!). We were then taken snorkelling in the Dos Ojos cenote, which was fabulous. Even better, however, was our next stop – snorkelling in Akumal. We were expecting to see maybe one or two turtles, if we were very lucky, but there were dozens. We also saw a stingray and barracuda.

After lunch (calamari, grouper, and coconut ice cream – delicious!), we were taken snorkelling in Yal Ku. The lagoon, and its sculptures, were stunning, but, unfortunately, the snorkelling was nowhere near as spectacular. In fact, I would have preferred to spend the hour out of, rather than in, the water – simply admiring the beautiful views.

Unlike our two other excursions – which, if I were to be cynical, were much more profiteering – there were no photographs being taken, and offered for sale. Luckily, I had brought my new waterproof camera, and our guide, Rod, was very kind in taking photographs for me throughout the tour.

3 Thank VagabondHeart1986
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Don't take any other tour”
Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

This is the most memorable tour my husband and I have ever taken! We had hector as our guide he was super polite and informative we had a great time doing the full package and the lunch was great too! If you're visiting the area and looking for a tour don't look anywhere else and take this one you will not be disappointed! Thank you hector for helping us create amazing memories on our honeymoon showing us your beautiful coast

1 Thank mj194
New Jersey
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Jay and Hector are the MEN!”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

This was our second trip back to Mexico and once again we booked a double cenotes tour coupled with swimming with the turtles in Akumal. Jay and his crew picked us up at our private villa and as usual he was all smiles and the sweetest man you would ever want to meet. Unfortunately this time he was not able to be our tour guide but in his place was Hector who DEFINATELY gives Jay a run for his money. Hector made us feel safe, gave us a lot of insight as to where we were and what we were going to see. We stopped and had a wonderful lunch and chatted about everything. At no time did any of us feel uncomfortable with our surroundings or the company. Please everyone should book a tour with this company. They are EXTREMELY professional and accommodating. We love you Noodle Man!

2 Thank Marialice N
yucatanjay, Owner at Your Private Tour, responded to this review, September 19, 2012
ah, my all time top 10 clients! what can i say but my heart absolutely melts with loving friendship everytime you are here. yes, i am getting older and the young guides are doing my tours but what a great group we have! hector will be pleased about your comments. take care and we will be here waiting for your next trip. you are the best!! our beloved noodle girl! thank you for bringing more of your family this trip. we adopt them too! my love to your sister.
Dallas, Texas
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“A GREAT EXPERIENCE”
Reviewed September 14, 2012

After reading other reviews, booking Jay and his tour guide Rod was a no-brainer. Picked up in a clean, private van and taken to see the ruins of Tulum which was amazing and then to snorkle in the Two Eyes cenote, a site where native sea turtles feast and another location known as the The Living Aquarium. Your Private Tour is everything it is made out to be! Professional, patient and kind, our guide Rod was diligent in checking our snorkle gear and making sure we had an amazing time. After the tour, we were taken to a great restaurant, La Lunita, for some of the best Grouper tacos, fried calamari, mango margaritas and homemade coconut ice cream. This tour is worth every penny and that's a high compliment from me as I was a journalist for 20 years at a major publication. A few tips: do bring flip flops, extra set of dry clothing and wear a t-shirt in the water to prevent burning. Also, if you are over 30 years old you might want to not book another excursion the following day as you may need a day to recuperate. Thank you, Your Private Tour, for a most memorable day.

5 Thank News_JunkieDallas