“Highlight of trip”

Mayans' Explorers
Book In Advance
More Info
and up
Mayan Experience Tour: Chichen Itza, Valladolid...
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover the real Mayaland! Small and private groups, all inclusive tours. Certified guides will provide you with info on the way to the places we visit and inside them. We always try to avoid the crowds. The perfect mix of culture, nature and adventure. Come join the experts! Also: snorkeling, zip lines, archaeology, natural reserves, airport transfers.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Activities for young children
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We used Mayans Explorers for our airport transfer and the Mayans Experience tour. They were extremely easy to work with and answered all our questions quickly via e-mail. Victor picked us up promptly from the airport and was right on time for our departure. Excellent, safe, and private transportation.
The Mayans Experience tour was absolutely the highlight of our trip. Our driver was Fonzi and our guide was Enrique. They picked us up at 7:00 am and we were always ahead of the crowd. It felt like we were at Chichen Itza by ourselves. Enrique was very informative and kept our family of 5 entertained. We learned a great deal about the Mayan culture. As we were leaving, the big crowds of tour buses were just piling in. Beating the heat and the crowds made it worth it to get up early.
From there, we went to Cenote Ik Kil and had a very relaxing swim. It was absolutely beautiful. Once again, as we were leaving, the big crowds were just getting there.
We then went to a buffet lunch at a nearby restaurant. The food was excellent as was the service. The drinks are not included in the trip but for my family of 5 it was only $12 so it is not very high for restaurant drinks.
From there, we went to the true treasure of the trip in my opinion, Ek Balam. The ruins here are amazing and my family really likes to climb. The view from the top is unbelievable. Once again Enrique was very knowledgable and we learned a lot about the culture.
From there, we headed to Valladolid to visit an old Catholic Church and enjoy some ice cream. Fonzi and Enrique were great and as we were the only family on the tour, they were very accommodating to our interests. We never felt rushed and if we wanted to cut something short, it was no problem. It was a long day but something everybody going to the area should get to experience.
If you are looking for a more personal experience and a great tour, you need to use Mayans Explorers. I can't wait to go back and try some of their other excursions.

All reviews
"mayan experience tour"
in 86 reviews
"cool tour"
in 62 reviews
"chichen itza and ek balam"
in 60 reviews
in 18 reviews
"booked tours"
in 8 reviews

Reviewed July 8, 2013

We chose The Mayan Experience Tour and LOVED it. There were 13 of us and we chose a pick up time of 6 am so that we could arrive at Chichen Itza right after it opened. Our tour guide was amazing and shared information from his archaeology degree with such finesse and detail. Chichen Itza can be warm so take and drink a lot of water. Mayans' Explorers includes cold water. We were given some snacks on the way to Ik-Kil cenote which was incredible. We took our time here, cooling down and taking in the beautiful cenote. If you use their locker, don't wear the key around your neck as they recommend; it will come off if you jump in and they will charge $20 for a lost key. Also, DON'T wear flip-flops down the stairs to the cenote. We saw several people slip and fall. Wear sneakers or water shoes with a good tread. The cenote is well run and includes tequila tasting, a nice gift shop, showers (necessary for getting any sunscreen and bug stuff off before getting into the cenote), changing rooms, and lockers. We never felt rushed here and simply enjoying cooling off. We then went to the lunch buffet (doesn't include a beverage and they don't take credit cards) which included some nice entertainment. Feeling fresh and refueled, we headed for Ek Balam. This is something no one should miss while visiting the Mayan Riviera and we were so thankful that this tour included it. Here, one can climb to the top of the pyramid! It is an amazing site. We had time to get some archaeological info. and to poke around. At this point, we were almost done with our 12 hours yet the guide still offered a brief stop at Vallodolid. This is a cute town with a typical Mexican square. We had 30 minutes to see the church, poke our heads in souvenir shops and check out the square. At that point, we still had our 2.5 hour drive back to our vacation rental. The tour ended up being 14 hours long so we ended up tipping well as we had cut into the guide and driver's evening. During the long rides, our guide even passed around books on the Mayan culture and some information about native animals.
We loved the fact that it was a private, custom tour, full of wonderful information and sights.
I would love to go back and take some of their other tours.
We also used them for a transfer to the airport.
Their customer service is superb and easy to do via the internet. Answers were always quick and completely understandable.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My husband and I had the most amazing time on our trip to Playa and this tour is a MUST.
We booked the Mayan Experience tour, which included, Chichen Itza, Ek Balam, a cenote, and Valladolid. We also used them for our private airport transfer. Great friends of ours did this tour about 8 months before we did and insisted that we add this into our trip.... greatest advice ever!

To start, Gudelio was extremely helpful in the planning part of this tour. He promptly responded to every email I sent him, always friendly and very detailed. He made it so easy to plan our transportation and this tour from out of the country.

Eckhart was our driver that picked us up from the airport to take us to the resort.... found him in the sea of taxis and drivers with no problems! He was extremely friendly, safe driver and we really enjoyed talking with him.

The day of tour was absolutely amazing, something we will never forget. Our group consisted of 12 people, including my husband and I. Alex, our tour guide, was the best! Informative, funny, down to earth, made us feel like we've known him forever. You can tell he really enjoys what he does. We learned so much and he just made it very fun and so enjoyable. Even roughing it through a pretty bad storm, within the first 15 minutes of arriving at Chichen Itza, wasn't that horrible. Alex and Diego, our driver for the tour, got us all ponchos to take cover with. :)
The ruins were just awe-inspiring and getting to climb Ek Balam was insane! The cenote we went to was breathtaking and the city of Valladolid has so much culture. The trip was definitely all day, so you must plan for that. Diego picked us up at 6:50am and dropped us back off at our resort around 10pm.

Diego was also great! He was also a very safe driver. We really loved talking with him and getting to know him and Alex. Diego ended up being our driver back to the airport on the last day of our vacation. It was nice to see a friendly, familiar face and he made the ride back to airport enjoyable.

We had the most amazing time on this trip and it wouldn't have been complete without this tour. The Mayans' Explorers are just a wonderful, passionate, knowledgable group of people. You get to do and see so much in one day. We truly would have missed out if we hadn't taken it or booked with another company. BEST. EVER.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

We went on the day trip of Chichen Itza + Cenote + Ek Balam + Valladolid.

We were staying at Hotel Aventura Mexicana, so our pickup was 6:40am. We got to the lobby late though - about ten to fifteen minutes. Luckily Murux didn't leave without us! Even when the hotel security guard was denying we were staying there... Well, anyway, we drove all the way to Cancun to pick up Anna. We did stop at a gas station to use the restroom and get breakfast (which was not included, but only about 15 pesos if I remember correctly). Murux seemed nice in the beginning but he really shined at Chichen Itza. My boyfriend loved the history and all the background info he provided at Chichen Itza.

They provide a lot of water which is GREAT. We drank so much water - seriously. Also, let me tell you this tour may seems expensive, but it's totally worth it because they pay admission to all the sites and it's included in your fee. Not to mention they don't charge you for the water.

Lunch was okay. I liked the fish, the pork was dry. I didn't have the chicken. I had the beet salad and there were some dancers who balanced glass bottles on their heads and stuff which was kind of cool. Oh the rice and beans were all right. Drinks at lunch are not included. I didn't get a drink but my boyfriend did.

The cenote (Ik Kil) wasn't very crowded. We got there at just the right time, when a bunch of people were leaving. We didn't need to use the lockers (it's safe to leave your stuff in the car) but the life vests cost a little extra if you want to use them. Well worth it in my opinion because the cenote is deep. Our driver, Alfonso, accompanied us there.

Ek Balam was a great site, it was a once in a lifetime opportunity to climb the temple but a little scary for me (because I'm afraid of heights) but with the help of my boyfriend I made it up and down. If you're only a little scared I recommend doing it! The view from the top is amazing. Murux didn't really give us a lot of information at Ek Balam (he spent it talking to some other people in Spanish) which was a little disappointing but hey... I guess this sort of thing happens.

I liked Valladolid, Murux recommended the special Mayan crepes which were quite good. I also picked up postcards and souvenirs for co-workers and family there (special chewing gum packs for 35 pesos each).

This was our first full day in Riviera Maya and it was the best value for the money. We also went on the Local Quickies tour and the delphinus Primax experience at Xel-Ha and I have to say this tour was absolutely the best value for the money.

One tip is the tip. We tipped Murux and Alfonso the same amount (because we didn't know how much to tip). I think it's actually supposed to be the driver is tipped half of the tour guides tip. We still don't know how to tip - so this could be wrong.

Oh another thing - they picked up the person in Cancun after us and dropped them off first on the way back because they said it was on the way. So if you want a later start and to get back first, your hotel should be in Cancun, not Playa del Carmen.

Feel free to PM me if you have questions!