“The Mayan Experience Tour Private”
Review of Mayans' Explorers

and up
Mayan Experience Tour: Chichen Itza, Valladolid and Ek Balam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover the real Mayaland! Small and private groups, all inclusive tours. Certified guides will provide you with info on the way to the places we visit and inside them. We always try to avoid the crowds. The perfect mix of culture, nature and adventure. Come join the experts! Also: snorkeling, zip lines, archaeology, natural reserves, airport transfers.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities, Activities for young children
Reviewed March 8, 2013

We booked this tour for 8 of us to Chitchen Itza, Ek Balam, il Kil Cenote, and Vallidolid. Included was a lunch buffet at a Hacienda. Tour pick up was at the Grand Mayan Rivera Maya, main gate at 7a. as this resort does not let private tours inside the gate. We were able to adjust the tour stops/times to make sure we did what we wanted to do and the tour ended back at the resort around 8p that night. Service inside was to the main lobby. Private tour is the way to go, especially if you have lots in your group. Van was clean, modern and comfortably air conditioned with waters on board. I did much research and settled on Mayans Explorers due to the great reviews and the fact that we had a private tour guide on the Van the whole time. The best part of their guides is they are certified archaeologist who know their stuff, not some local that comes up to you at the ruins just trying to get your money. I'm sure all of the guides with this company our great, but I can only speak for ours and I would recommend you ask for him if you can. His name is Murux (Juan Gonzales). He is a native Mayan decendent and a 2nd generation archaeologist, who has ties to National Geographic and Mexican Government credentials for the sights. He was top notch and very intelligent. An artist (ruins reconstruction drawings), speaks several languages and he is very engaging. He grew up around the ruins from the time he was a child and has some awesome stories of the many people he has been around (some famous) and his work. He has actually helped reconstruct some of the ruins and has worked on many digs and is planning future ones. Tip him (and the driver) well! He is very passionate about his culture and the ruins. We were so interested in what he had to say and asked him many questions. He seemed very appreciative of that and let us know. From the start of the day he was interacting with us on the van, asking us questions and educating us for the day. Not only on the ruins but the cultures and areas we were driving through. The two ruins sites are drastically different, but equally as impressive in their own rights. You can still climb the ruins at El Balam! Hurry, sooner or later the government will stop that practice as well. The swim break at the Cenote was so refresing. This was the stop where our Driver (Alfonso) offered to do more than just drive us around. He gladly offered to take the picture for us from 2 different cameras, so we could all cool off and have fun. Lunch buffet that day was good and plentyful and the quick stop to the city of Vallidolid was beautiful and educational as well. The church of san benito was impressive as well. A 13hr day and we could have taken more time. If you could do this in two days, I would recommend it. However, being a 2-2.5hr each way trip it made the most since to get all the stops in 1 day as they are all close to each other. Thanks Mayans Explorers for a day we will never forget. Murux, I hope you get all the funding you ever need to continue excavation and restoration. We look forward to seeing you guys again someday.

4  Thank TJC1969

Reviewed March 7, 2013

It's not often that you see so many reviews in the top box like on this entry, but there is a reason for it!

We took the all-day Chichen Itza tour from Playa del Carmen on March 2, 2013. The tour guide has a degree in archeology and grew up in a Mayan village, who better to lead us through the ruins!?

The trip was well organized, pick up right on schedule, and there were no waits or lines for tickets at any of the places we stopped. The guide and driver were professional, curteous, and very interesting to talk to. They went out of their way to make sure everyone was having a good time and happy.

I especially liked the friendly atmosphere, insight into the culture, and the fact that our guide and driver never once mentioned tips! (of course we all tipped them well (I think) because they were that good)

If you have th choice of providers, choose this one!

Reviewed March 6, 2013

I've been to chichen itza 3 times and this is by far the most legit tour you will find. Our tour guide was an archeologist by training and a native maya. The tour was exceptional.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Last week we did the full day Chichen-itza, Ik Kil, Ek Balam, Valladolid tour. Originally I was not keen on going to Chichen-Itza given the two hour drive each way but the appeal of Ek Balam got to me. Being in a small van was much nicer than the big bus and we didn't have to do a tone of stops to pick up others so it was straight to the sites. So glad we went. There were 6 of us in our group and were joined by two other couples. Although Chichen-itza is very cool getting to climb at Ek Balam was amazing. What really made the tour was our Guide - Murux (I think that's how he said it was spelt - sounds like Maroosh). He was unreal. I have never met anyone so passionate about his job. He is a mayan who grew up in the area and is an archaeologist who has worked at both the sites and others. He knows them inside and out and can provide so much more information than the average guide. At Ek Balam we had others trailing us because they were so interested in our tour - we were exploring so off the beaten path that we shut the place down! In reading the other reviews I thought how big of deal could be that we got to Chichen-Itza early - then as we were leaving I say. It is so good to be in and out before all the crowds! The cenote was great - very refreshing after a VERY hot morning at Chichen-itza. Lunch was nothing special and not that great but I didn't have high expectations so that's okay. Given there were 10 of us on the tour the price was the same as if we had done a bus tour to just Chichen-Itza and the cenote but we got so much more. Take this tour and ask for Murux as your guide - you won't regreat it!

1  Thank YukonSarah
Reviewed March 3, 2013

This company is of the highest quality, integrity and service. After screening several other services, I chose Mayans' Explorers for an excursion to Chichen Itza and Valladolid for 18 of us who were part of a family destination wedding in Tulum. What a great decision that was! Everything was top quality: the management of the reservation, the mini-buses (air conditioned, seat belts), the on time pick up and return, the quality of the guides (Enrique and Luis -- fabulous!), the skill of the drivers (Diego and Alfredo), the courtesy shown to all of us -- everything! The guides were so well-informed, and delightful to be with. I also used this service for airport pick up at Cancun for two members of our party. They are reliable and know the area well.

2  Thank Kay Sprinkel G