“You Will Not Be Disappointed!!!”
Review of Mayans' Explorers

and up
Mayan Experience Tour: Chichen Itza, Valladolid and Ek Balam
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Discover the real Mayaland! Small and private groups, all inclusive tours. Certified guides will provide you with info on the way to the places we visit and inside them. We always try to avoid the crowds. The perfect mix of culture, nature and adventure. Come join the experts! Also: snorkeling, zip lines, archaeology, natural reserves, airport transfers.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We did my research and chose Mayans' Explorers. We were very pleased with every aspect, from communication prior to trip all the way through being dropped off at our hotel (included in price, some tour groups want to charge extra). Gudelio (Leo) was our guide for the Mayan Experience Tour. We learned so much. He is extremely knowledgeable on Mayan history and culture. He was always concerned if we were comfortable, cool enough, hungry or thirsty. He offered umbrellas for shade (didn't think I would need it but yes, I did). It was a long day but well worth the time and cost. We saw Chichen Itza, swam in Ik Kil cenote, stopped in Valladolid, drove through small Maya villages and our highlight was Ek Balam.
We highly recommend Mayan's Explorers!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

We were fortunate enough to visit Chichen Itza, Valladolid, a cenote, and Ek Balam on a private tour arranged through Mayans’ Explorers. We couldn’t have asked for a better tour.

We knew it was going to be a long day, so we decided to go private in order to cut down on time picking up, dropping off, and waiting for bathroom breaks. At U.S. $400 for the two of us, it was a good decision. We were gone from 7:00 AM to 6:30 PM, but we saw so much! The sites are simply amazing, and we got to climb two pyramids at Ek Balam.

Our guide, Maroosh, was soooo entertaining! We learned a lot of history from him, and he made it all interesting with his dynamic speaking style. He was especially informative about the War of Castes, which included some fascinating Mexican/U.S. history that they don’t teach you in high school. He is well informed on all aspects of Yucatecan history, and besides that he tells some amazing stories. He made the long car trip pass quickly. He guided us at the sites, so we didn’t have to pay any more for local guides. Diego, the driver, was also a great guy, and a heck of a mechanic.

A buffet lunch at the cenote was included, and it was delicious. A nice selection of salads, soups, vegetables, international and Mexican entrees, and desserts. The baked chicken was fall-off-the bone tender, and the cochinita pibil was delicious.

All the arrangements were handled perfectly. I highly recommend this company and this guide.

1  Thank CoralReef
Reviewed January 14, 2013

So, I decided to write my review even though there are quite a number of lovely reviews. We got stuck with Gudelio (owner & operator) as our guide and he was very bad... Just kidding. :) Lio and the #1 best driver in Playa/R.Maya were super cool. We stayed at the Grand Mayan, one of 2 resorts that refuse pickup inside for outside co's like ME. In fact, they were very much on time and we were actually directed back inside by the staff when Lio comes up and knew it was us...go figure - GM staff being accurate with their info. The van was nice and cool and we were immediately asked about the a/c and because I had a lot of questions, Lio was kind enough to use his bad back as the reason for moving back and sitting with us. It was a private tour with just my friend and I so we had full attention. We - well, I chose the Mayan Experience tour because I wanted to see Chichen Itza AND Ek Balam in the same day. So here's the real deal - Lio is very knowledgeable about the Mayan Culture and sites - and very very flexible about where we would go and when as we went about at a slower pace and he was courteous about the sun (my skin + Caribbean sun = bad) and took photos patiently. He indulged my questions with patience and our laziness to dip our feet in water - so we changed to an underground cenote with bats above and amazing roots sticking down from the ceiling, as well as formations - X'keken - which I'd not heard of. We got history, theories and even a lovely icy treat at Valladoid in the town square where a beautiful old church sat across from the house where the founder of the town lived. The icy treat was from the lovely little man with the best lime and coconut concoction I've ever had! The lunch place we'd gone to was great with dancers and very good food (and the girl had killer nail art...wish I'd taken a photo). He accompanied us everywhere - even climbing at Ek Balam and holding my shaky hand all the down from the main pyramid there. (Seriously, I was queasy at the thought of climbing down - but up - was not so bad!) At the end of the day, we spent over 12 hours together - he & #1 got my friend her tea as she doesn't do coffee in the morning. #1 got us around safely and fast...#1 had wipes for us and water and that's why I've renamed him #1...it isn't because my memory's shot and I think his name is Diego but I'm not 100% sure. It was absolutely a great experience from start to finish and I honestly think about the other tours I was swindled into and even though I had fun (because you make the best of the situation no matter what!), ME was hands down the best. I thank ME for making my first trip to the YP awesome. I definitely will go back sometime and visit the other ruins I was not able to see this time around... Oh and I loved that we were indulged and passed by some Mayan villages though we didn't stop - but we backtracked for pictures of the traditional yet modified huts the Mayans now live in. I learned ever so much about Mayans, their origins (theories) and I loved discovering all this knowledge - including the funny similarities between Mayan and Chinese/Asian depictions of animals... Xie xie, M.E., thank you!

1  Thank Mayura
Reviewed January 7, 2013

My friend and I had the good fortune of having a private tour of Chichen Itza, Valladolid, Ek-Balam and an amazing cenote (and accompanying meal), led by Gudelio. He was such a wonderful guide... extremely knowledgeable, reliable, accommodating, and all things we would want of a guide. More than anything, we were struck by his deep respect for, and appreciation of the Mayan traditions, its people, and the larger Mexican community. We even came away with new knowledge on Mexican painters/ artists /musicians. For anyone who have the privilege of having Gudelio as your guide, ask to see his huge stash of music options... uber impressive! Thank you, Gudelio! Hi-five to The Killers :D!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Excellent service, friendly and knowledgeable guides, great rate, and what an amazing day we had!

Thank you, Mayans Explorers!