“Nice place to stay away from the action”

Apart Hotel Casaejido
Ranked #32 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed October 19, 2011

We were moving to PDC and wanted to find an inexpensive place to stay that provided breakfast and was pet friendly and we thought this place fit the bill.
There are two parts to the hotel----a bed and breakfast and an apartment hotel. Both are very nice. We were allowed to look at both parts before deciding which room we wanted. The apartment side is very nice with a grassy area and the room we looked at included a small separate living area with a couch, a small kitchen and separate bedroom. The room was really delightful and clean. We then looked across the street at the bed & breakfast side, the side with the Robinson Curusoe looking house. This is the side that has a small pool and where breakfast is served. We really liked the look of the cabin we stayed in as it had stone walls which felt authentically Mexico. I don't think you'd go wrong with either side. The Apartment hotel rooms are much bigger, so if you're more than two people, this is a great option.

Breakfast was very nice...homemade bread each am, jam and butter, fresh fruit consisting of papaya, watermelon and cantelope, cereal and coffee and tea. There is also a very nice common kitchen guests can use if they want to.

We did not use the pool as we were busy trying to find a long term place to live. We did rent the bikes, which was just a bit of a hassle as they require a $50.00 deposit and rent the bikes for 100 pesos per week, which was reasonable. Bike locks were included.

The hotel is in the neighborhood where the locals live. We found it convenient for what we were doing, and there are many good restaurants close by. There's also a very nice public park nearby.

All in all, I really enjoyed this place. The only "complaint" if you will is that no one that worked there spoke English. It wasn't a very big deal though, as if we weren't able to communicate, the employees called the owner Vanessa so we could speak English to her. Everyone worked very hard to keep the place clean constantly. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this place!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Can_we_go
casaejido, Propietario at Apart Hotel Casaejido, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Thank you very much for having taken the time to write this very informative review about our hotel! I hope all went well and you are settled in Playa del Carmen nicely!

Reviewed August 19, 2011

We were happy to find such a nice room with complete kitchen and AC. It is about a 10 minute walk to a large grocery store and 20 minutes to the beach. The staff don’t speak English but we wrote phrases on Google and then had them translated. The British owner was very friendly and helpful to us but we had to pay for the calls and it was very costly. If you don’t need the information immediately she is very quick to respond to email. We had no problem with WIFI. The set up of the courtyard encourages visiting with other friendly tourists. We thought it was odd that they provided breakfast when we each had out own cooking facility.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank grammasue14

Thank you for having taken the time to write a review about our hotel!! Breakfast is now optional and we serve it at our "sister hotel B&B Casaejido" for a very cheap price! guests still have the option to get together and chat in our patio.
I take the opportunity to send you my best regards :-)

Reviewed July 23, 2011

We stayed here for $21 US on our way back to Cancun. We had a car, and that helped, as it took over an hour, up and down Calle 3 Sur to find the place. It's on the dirt part of the road, opposite the highway overpass from the beaches and supermarket, and it says Casa Ejido on the door, not Casaejido. Seems to be in a sketchy neighborhood, but after staying there I suppose it's safe enough.

Free bikes to use, and since we had a car, it's not bad to get to the beaches. Playa is not the place for me to begin with, but if I were younger, on a budget, and had 3 or 4 friends to share a room with, this place would be great. 4 beds and a sofa, a bit musty at first, but seemed to clear up after circulating some air. Clean and friendly enough. Kitchenette and spotty wifi. We got a last minute deal on Hotels.com for $21 US, so how can you pass that up? I just wish it were easier to find. Definitely go to the Alux, a couple blocks over on the main road late night for a drink- you ever been to a bar/club/lounge in a cave?

Room Tip: Couldn't tell you, we got what we were given.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank walkingupstream

Thank you very much for writing the review!! Yes you did get a very cheap price!! Hotels.com messed up ;-) But I am glad you got to enjoy it! Our street is now completely paved and the area looks safer, even through without the paved street it did look rougher it has always been a very safe neighbourhood...
Kind regards!

Reviewed July 19, 2011

I arrived in Mexico for a 6 week trip late June to do some volunteering. After a couple of weeks, some friends I met here and I decided to travel to the coast to see more of the Yucatan and we found this place online. Being on a budget, this place looked incredibly cheap for what we were going to get....and it was! It worked out about 20 pounds each (5 sharing) for 3 nights.

The place was beautifully clean, with fresh sheets everyday, continental breakfast on the table early every morning, bottled water included, great shower, private jaccuzzi tub in our bathroom and very much appreciated air-con (especially during the mid-July heat)! It was like staying in a home away from home, with a large kitchen for home cooking so we could cut down even more on costs from eating out and our own private fridge. The pool was lovely and refreshing too, and there were rarely any other people using it except for us.

The house reminds me a bit of Robinson Crusoe`s, and is located in a very quiet neighbourhood, away from the touristy bars and clubs, but within walking distance of 5th Avenue and the beach. However when it was too hot to walk, we took a bus to the centre (one every 5-10 mins) from the end of the road, for the equivallent of 25p.

The staff were brilliant and lovely! However, they don`t speak any English, only Spanish, so I reccommend learning a few phrases. We managed to get by with pointing and hand gestures though. I would advise speaking to the owners directly or via email if you have any comunication issues whilst staying there. They were very efficient in getting back to us and were hugely helpful and friendly.

We stayed for 3 nights, but returned after 1 night in Tulum as we missed it so much and decided to stay for another week. The owners also gave us a discount on our room when we returned. I left on Friday and am going back next monday with my friends for a few more nights! Definitely the best place I have stayed in Mexico, and if I return to this wonderful country I will 100% stay again!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Hattie89
casaejido, Owner at Apart Hotel Casaejido, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2014

Hello Hattie,

It took me a while to reply your review, but here I am :-)

Thank you so much for taking your time to write this lovely review, it really does make us happy to read that a guests has enjoyed their stay with us.

I am happy to tell you that we now have a team that speaks English and in addition to that: German, French and Portuguese....we also have many tours that we offer to our guests.

Not only have the plants in our common area grown, we have also, and we hope you may have the chance to see this for yourself in a near future.

Vanessa

Reviewed February 27, 2011

the place itself is nice. however, the first five days of my stay i had to take cold showers! no hot water was available supposedly due to solar powered water heater.i called the owner and she was not very understanding and not particulary friendly either. and she actually got mad at me for calling to tell her of the problem and said she was going to charge me for the phone call! overall the staff was not friendly and made me feel awkward the entire stay. the location is not good. very far from beach. there is wifi but it goes in and out and sometimes doesnt work at all.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
5  Thank travelr88

Hello!
Thank you for having given your opinion on trip advisor of our hotel!
I am very sorry that you had an hot water issue for a couple of days during your stay with us, and I am sorry that I was not that I was not patient enough with you when you were asking for total access to both our hotels. I am afraid that then and now only guests of our B&B are given keys to access at any moment. For security reasons and comfort of other guests we prefer to keep it that way.
During your stay, we installed an alternative electric water heater to help our ecological solar system, I am very happy to say that hot water has not been an issue since.
Kind regards!

Reviewed February 10, 2011

I stayed at Casaejido for 2 weeks, along with friends. I am not into the AI resorts, this was perfect for me. The owner and staff were absolutely wonderful. My apartment was very clean and comfortable, equipped with kitchen, diningroom, livingroom, king bed and a complete bathroom with shower. With only 14 suites, everyone got to know everyone and would often gather in the beautiful courtyard in the evening and do potluck or just cocktails together, play music and just have fun. Continental breakfast was always on the table in the courtyard by 7:30 a.m. with coffee, fresh homemade bread everyday, choice of dry cereals and always fruit. The apartments were about a 15 minute walk down the main street to the beach. It was a lovely walk. or you could cab for $2 USD. Large grocery store 3 blocks away. No TV's there, but who needs TV when on vacation. Free wifi, so we had internet. We spent all day at the different beaches or on 5th avenue...but was so nice to come to our home away from home at night. It is located in a quiet residential area away from the bar street. I have travelled alot to different countries and you are really getting value for your money here. Like I said, if you are not looking for AI, you need to check this out. I for one, will absolutely return...LOVED IT!!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank deisen54

Thank you for having taken your time to write a review about our hotel, and I am happy that you did come back, twice!! It was really nice to see you again!

Reviewed July 30, 2010

The Casaejido property is the perfect hideaway for your PDC vacation. I can’t wait to return again someday to be woken up everyday by the sound of nature and rays of sunshine.

The homestead is something you’d expect if marooned with the Swiss Family Robison. It’s a giant 2-story palapa house with 9 unique bedrooms on the property. It’s like no other in a way that makes it deserving of a spread in a home or travel magazine. With a high ceiling and a sky bridge connecting the upstair-rooms, there’s a lot of open space.

Casaejido is quite the international house having made my vacation even more interesting. During my stay, there were guests who came from as far as Switzerland, Germany, the U.S., Sweden, Croatia, France, and Italy. And yes, communication was possible. The youngest was an 18 year-old budget traveler on his second visit while the eldest was a 50/60ish couple, who normally stay at the most expensive luxury digs, but opted for something different for an extended stay. The owners, a lady raised in England and her spouse raised in Spain, have 2 young kids who are also welcoming.

In the evening guests would often conjugate around the table, hammock, and pool area with many taking advantage of the free Wi-fi. During the day it was rather mellow with most people on an excursion, at the beach, or studying at a local Spanish school. The beach itself is a quick taxi ride. Expect to pay toward $1.50 in the morning, no more than $3 at night, and less if sharing. Casaejido offers free use of its mountain bikes. Sometimes we’d walk to the beach and 5th too. Within a short walk is Chedraui, a large grocery store. Your hosts and the guests who’ve arrived before you will have a wealth of information about what to do.

The studio apartment is also a great alternative should you need extra privacy. Having stayed there for a layover it was more than what I needed housing 3 beds and a kitchen. Both the room and grounds were immaculate and opposite to the casa.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled solo
1  Thank LittleBearsBed

Thank you very much for having written this review! It was our first review on trip advisor! A lot has changed now but I hope that if you ever come back you will find it as nice, or even better, than before!