“Beautiful gem of a restaurant”
Review of Alux

Alux
Reserve with OpenTable
Alux is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #69 of 1,311 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Cuisines: International
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Av.65 y Av.70
Description: PRE-HISPANIC, MEXICAN AND INTERNATIONAL CUIZINE IN A SETTING A hole created over thousand years ago soon to be discovered by you. Our Prehispanic, Mexican and International hate cuisine is served in any of our various spaces. You can also enjoy a wide selection of drinks and cocktails, including local Mayan specialties.
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I would recommend this cenote restaurant for anyone. It's a one of a kind of a restaurant. Built in a cenote, it has a different atmosphere than any restaurant in Mexico.

TulumRAC, Manager at Alux, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

We are so glad you enjoyed Alux Restaurant! Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Come back anytime!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

I guess when reading Trip Advisor reviews on restaurants I guess I need to consider that people have different tastes. We went to El Alux last week off the suggestion of our resort bartender and reviews of TA, and I'll say that the cave is absolutely stunning. The food on the other hand was completely subpar as was the wine list. We were sorely disappointed which is too bad because this place has so much potential. We split the surf and turf...my god it was like cutting through a piece of leather. Our service wasn't the best either but I think that was more of an issue with our sweet little waitress who could barely spoke a word of english.
Little tips about the place: dress in cool attire because it's warm in the cave. Ladies should not wear heels or at least be prepared to take them off for your descent into the cave.
Would I go back? Only if someone in my group wanted to see it. I'm in kind of the mind set been there done that. That being said I would totally recommend going for a drink. The cave is that amazing. Cheers

3  Thank Lee L
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I will preface my review by saying that I am a huge sucker for unique restaurants, and for caves. In my opinion, this must be a one of a kind dining experience in the world! The way they have integrated the restaurant with the cave is truly beautiful and unique. If I was married or dating someone, I could see how this would be an ideal location for an unforgettable date!

I was here for a group event, and the set up was excellent, and the staff was very attentive. Since this was a group thing, there was a buffet meal, so I never had the chance to see a menu, or pick up the check. That said, I thought the food was phenomenal, but I didn't have the same experience as people off of the streets.

I will likely return to this restaurant on my next trip to the area (which is every 6-12 months).

The one thing I would like them to improve is the warmth and humidity down in the cave. We were lucky to sit under an A/C vent, but there needs to be more of them. The girls in our group who were all dressed up were very uncomfortable, and the guys with sports coats on were not happy either. You definitely need to wear shorts to this place!

TulumRAC, Manager at Alux, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We look forward to having you back again so you can try some of the dishes from our dinner menu. We also appreciate the feedback about the temperature & humidity. This is a constant battle for us, one where our hands are somewhat tied by the need to keep the natural formations of the cave intact. We are trying to find ways of improving this and hope to have made progress by the time of your next visit. See you soon!

Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great food, reasonable, great atmosphere! Very Unique, wonderful place for couples or family. Be sure to walk all the way through the restaurant b/4 leaving!

TulumRAC, Manager at Alux, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review us. We are very glad you liked Alux, and that you took the time to explore it fully. We look forward to seeing you again next time you are in Playa!

Reviewed July 28, 2013

Wow! What an incredible experience. This is the coolest restaurant I have ever been to. if you go to Playa Del Carmen, you definitely need to check this place out. The food is really good, but not the best. The pricing is moderate.

TulumRAC, Manager at Alux, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

Thanks for the rave review! We are so glad you liked Alux Restaurant. We are always striving to improve, next time you visit we should have our new wine cellar finished. We are also making some improvements to the menu. Hope to see you again soon!