“worth a try!”
Review of Mayan Bistro

Mayan Bistro
Ranked #55 of 1,279 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Escape the hustle and bustle of 5th Ave and dine with us in our beautiful gardens just a block off 5th Ave on 22nd. Our service is friendly and sincere while our cuisine is an international blend that reflects the diverse culinary backgrounds and experience of our chefs. We are sure you will love our food as much as we do!! Oh yeah we also have the biggest wine pour in all of Playa!!
Charlotte, North Carolina
“worth a try!”
Reviewed October 2, 2013

decent seafood, i ate there as part of the included package from the adjacent hotel, Aventura Mexicana.

Visited January 2013

Montreal, Canada
“Good service but the food does not match the reviews”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We stayed 5 days at the Hotel Aventura Mexicana. As it rained almost everyday, we had to go more often to this restaurant than we wanted.

The breakfast was ALWAYS the same and there was one guy in the morning who was quite impolite. The breakfast was included in our room but when you order a la carte, you had to pay for your dische. The first morning, I ordered an omelet and this waiter was never there. I always had to call him. It is a waitress who finally helped me twice. When he finally came back to my table and I asked him where he was all this time, I saw in his attitude that he was going to be impolite. I looked back at him severely to warn him. But, still, he showed me the card on the table and told me: " look Mam, this is written self service ". I turned the card on the other side to show the sign " TIPS WELCOME " and told him that we don't tip for self service but for a plate ordered outside of the breakfast included with the room fee. Anyway, that breakfast has to be changed at least twice a week especially when it's average.

We ate 3 times there at nightime and ordered some soups which were really average when you know the delicious soups they have in Mexico.

One night, I ordered their Arrachera and asked to have it medium well...I got it medium rare and it was tasteless. However, I ordered lots of green vegetables with it and, the waitress, Gaby, asked the chef to add some steamed spinach for me and it was delicious !

The last dinner, Mom ordered a Marguerita pizza, and they had personal ones, which she appreciated a lot as she does not eat a lot. The pizza was excellent, thin and crispy. I tasted it and can confirm it. I ordered some Alfredo pasta. They did not have fettucini which usually comes with this dish and I had to choose spaghetti. There was too much sauce and this latter was way too thin. It was not an Alfredo sauce but a liquid Alfredo...and no cheese or parmesan on the side.

Anyhow, the last night we went to a great argentinian restaurant on the corner and had, finally, a superb diner !

I must admit, though, that the manager, Christopher, was extremely nice and a real gentleman. Indeed, one night, they were closing (they close at 9h30 PM which is really early at Playa del Carmen) and, still, he offered us as a gratuity, a delicious guacamole and 2 glasses of white wine. He did not have to do that and we really appreciated the gesture. In addition, our last night, knowing that we spoke french and that my mother was half French, he offered us 2 small and cute boxes of fine french chocolate, Douceurs de France. Such a gentleman ! And, guess what, he was American !

I must say that it's a little hard for me to write such a review but I'm a professional and Top Contributor; therefore, I always have to tell the truth and this was our experience at Mayan Bistro.

• Visited September 2013
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Nice small hotel restaurant”
Reviewed September 14, 2013

Good little restaurant with a small lunch menu and tasty drinks. Staff is friendly and accommodating. Nice place to sit and enjoy drinks and Mexican fare..

Visited September 2013
1 Thank HJ49
Plymouth, Massachusetts
“Birthday Getaway”
Reviewed September 13, 2013

My wife and I ate at the Mayan Bistro for 5 days. Every meal was cooked perfectly. Hats of to the cooks, the servers and to management team, their commitment to the customers is very evident and we appreciated their great service.

• Visited September 2013
Boston, Massachusetts
“One of the best meals we had in playa!”
Reviewed September 13, 2013 via mobile

The place is small, friendly and intimate. Food was fantastic, drinks tasty. It was well worth going. Real gem!!!!

• Visited August 2013