“Great little place”
Review of Mayan Bistro

Mayan Bistro
Ranked #75 of 1,333 Restaurants in Playa del Carmen
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Description: Escape the hustle and bustle of 5th Ave and dine with us in our beautiful gardens just a block off 5th Ave on 22nd. Our service is friendly and sincere while our cuisine is an international blend that reflects the diverse culinary backgrounds and experience of our chefs. We are sure you will love our food as much as we do!! Oh yeah we also have the biggest wine pour in all of Playa!!
Reviewed February 19, 2013

I found this place taking a walk through town and stopped in for a couple of beers (2-4-1 Negro Modelos for 40p). I was greeted by and chatted with Chris and Nicholas and decided my wife and I would have lunch.

I had chicken tacos and she had a fish sandwich which were quite good. My wife likes red wine and this was one of the few places we found a decent selection with a good price for the portion. The restaurant has an indoor seating area and an outside area behind the restaurant. What I appreciated was the quiet as it was off the hustle and bustle of Quinta (5th Avenue).

I stopped by a couple of other times to just have a couple of beers and was remembered and welcomed by Chris and Nicholas. The friendliness of the staff and ambience were great. My wife and I will put this on our short list of must eat places for our next trip.

1  Thank jerryk1948

Reviewed February 17, 2013

We enjoyed our visit to Mayan Bistro. The food was great and good size portions for the reasonable price. I ordered fish and my boyfriend ordered the carnitas tacos- we were both satisfied. Service was good, even offered to let us sample the few beers they have on tap. The only odd part was since it is connected to a hotel, the guests were constantly walking through the restaurant to get to their room. Maybe there should be a different or better entrance for them? Overall though, I would eat here again.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

We did enjoy our visit, but mostly because of the ambiance and friendliness of the staff. I ordered the carnitas, which were a bit plain. My partner ordered chicken shishkababs, which were also lacking in seasoning. So the food wasn't amazing, but maybe we didn't order the best things. The cocktail I had was good and VERY strong! The service was very friendly, but very slow. We kept having to attract attention to order our food and get our bill. The people who did help us were so nice, but it took much more than it should have to get them to serve us. Overall it was an ok restaurant, but not the most fantastic.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

We were greatly looking forward to this restaurant based on other Trip Advisor recommendations. After getting drinks and placing an order for one soup and two meals, we expected some tortillas or bread to arrive. Nothing. So we waited. Still nothing. I began wondering about my soup. Still nothing! Finally . . . . ta da! It all came at once . . . bread, tortillas, my soup and both entrees. My wife's crusted chicken was already cold, and my tequila shrimp were sure to be cold before I finished my soup. When we pointed this out to the manager, he apologized profusely, took the entrees back, reheated the chicken and kept my shrimp warm. Coffee and a second cerveza were on the house. On the positive side, all the food was tasty. Homemade tortillas were terrific. We can recommend the crusty chicken and the tequila shrimp. Also enjoyed the mashed potatoes with cheese and spinach. We enjoyed the food despite the service problem.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

We stayed at Aventura Mexicana and ate at Mayan Bistro a couple of times. Beautiful freshly prepared food, generous drinks, and wonderful warm service. The owner of the restaurant takes very personal interest and pride in everything coming out of the kitchen. We loved it!