“Nothing here you won't love.”
Review of La Portena - CLOSED

La Portena
Cuisines: Argentinean
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery
Reviewed June 1, 2014

Always ask for the beef empanadas!

The choripan torta is a must everytime! Its homemade locally and by far a great value.

Hamburgers, arrapans, milanesas,they are all great and worth trying.

I couldn't recommend this place more!

Reviewed May 31, 2014

La Portena is the best place to go when you are craving meat or grilled chicken!
Arturo, the chef, is fantastic and cooks up the best lemon chicken on the parilla. The arrachera, t-bone, rib eye and beef ribs are also all VERY good and priced less than 200 MXN (about $16US!)
AMAZING value!
The hamburgers and milanga (schnitzel) are delicious.
The choripan - Argentinian chorizo on a crispy bread roll with home-made chimichurri is a must try!
It's a great little place, with many locals (Mexican and ex-pats) as well as tourists.
Alex and Nadia, the owners are also very friendly and welcoming. Definitely worth repeat visits!

2  Thank kbiggles
Reviewed May 15, 2014

This was the first time we chose a restaurant in Playa that was not downtown central. A street-side counter w/ 1 barrel table. Prepared and cooked within feet of your eyes. The Rib-eye was a little gristly but tasty, as was everything. It was only the bits of gristle that caused the 4 instead of a 5. Perhaps if we got the sausage.... Next time!

Reviewed May 13, 2014

This place is easily one of the best places I've eaten at in Playa del Carmen. Last year my family had a giant family reunion in Playa. A few of us stumbled across this hidden gem and were blown away by the food. My steak melted in my mouth. We pretty much ended up trying everything on the menu and not a single complaint was given. We were so impressed, we wanted to bring the rest of our family there the next night for dinner (there was 25 of us total) and the owner accommodated us all, even striking a deal with the restaurant next door so we had a place to sit. Even with such a high volume of customers, the food did not disappoint and was impeccable. I'm definitely recommending this place to everyone I know and can't wait to go back the next time I'm in Playa!

1  Thank samanthabei
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

One of the best dinners I have had in Playa. The rib eye, the salad, the potato and empanada for 199 pesos. Would return in a heartbeat.