“Location location location....” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Pelicano Inn

You added Pelicano Inn to your Saves list
Pelicano Inn
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Calle 8 entre 5a. y Zona Federal | Zona Federal, Playa del Carmen 77710, Mexico   |
Ranked #134 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Illinois
“Location location location....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed here for 5 days in mid Feb 2013. You are right in the middle of everything, and within walking distance of MANY great restaurants, Starbucks and Walmart (which as a fabulous deli for breakfast thru dinner choices).
I love to camp, so this hotel in paradise is a few steps up from camping. You do have a roof over head and my bed had a mattress pad so it wasnt as hard as some beds in Mexico.
We had a small fridge in the room, 2 beds a small table with a couple resin chairs.
The bar area on the beach side of the hotel is ran by an probably owned by someone outside of the hotel. They decided to work on an iron gate ,sawing and hammering at midnight. Which required getting up, was awake anyway and going to the front desk to ask them to stop. Some of the waiters at the bar continued to short change my brother on day 2 of being there so we stopped eating or drinking there altogether.. Just went to walmart and got our beer and snacks.
The reviews about toilet paper is true.... you may run out so I went to the public beach rest rooms there in the hotel to gather back up in case we ran out.
The rooms were cleaned every day.Pillows are sparse and they dont always have extras.
Our air conditioner worked fine, it was in the upper 80s everyday so it was nice to have. And even tho the ceiling fan had exposed wires it did work real well.
SOOOO, for the price and since we are far from picky in paradise it worked fine for us. My husband may need some convincing to go back. But when I throw in the better than camping he gets it.
Hotel desk staff all were very nice.

Room Tip: Pay a little more for the Ocean view, lower right had a full fridge with a king bed, my brother and...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank jnicerocks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

The good: Came back here after 12 years. Pelicano Inn is a beautifully rustic holdout in an area quickly becoming slick and gaudy. Courtyard garden is beautiful and quiet. Location on the water and in the middle of pedestrian zone can't be beat. Exceptionally good price. Friendly, English-speaking staff. Free wi-fi worked great for me. Except that Playa has lost its small-village charm, I would go back to Pelicano. It's not luxurious, but has beauty and warmth - more than what I would call 'bare bones'.

Not so good: I wish the rooms still had hammocks, the hooks are still in place on the balconies and patios, and the mattresses are really bad (I bought a hammock, it's worth it). Used to put free quart of bottled water in every room, now they charge. Noise from Fusion bar nearby ruins the ability to listen to the surf at night in the ocean view rooms (but apparently does not disturb the 'garden view' rooms so much). Concierge was lacking: recommended garish Vegas-style show, and when I said that was exactly NOT what I was looking for, instead of suggesting low-key locals-style activities he said 'oh you gotta go'.

Room Tip: Garden view rooms are quieter at night. The ocean front rooms are REALLY on the beach - the night c...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank YoVict
Indianapolis, Indiana
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Budget hotel at great location at beach. I am staying here three weeks. The first room we were given had no frig, no towel racks, or much besides the beds. There was a bad leak at the bathroom sink which we asked to be repaired. They worked on it, but it was never fixed. We asked to be moved to another room which was pretty much the same, but we were given a frig upon request. It, too, has a bad leak by the toilet and the faucet lifts straight off and leaks if it is not on just so. They can't seem to fix the leaks. I have to regularly ask for extra towels to place on the floor for the leaks, have had to ask sevral times for toilet paper after the room has been cleaned, had to ask to clean the room when it was missed, and asked to return a mattress pad that had been removed for some reason. The staff is very friendly and nice, but there seems to be a "band-aid" fix on things.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RL54

Travelers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We har a wonderful stay here in December 2012. Great quiet hotel with charm, perfect location and wonderful staff (all from smiling cleaning ladies, the boys in the restaurant to the helpfull guys in the reception). Good value for money and far away from the all-inclusive hotels. Nice atmosphere in a beautiful building and chilled garden. And not to forget the perfect SPA. No names mentioned no names forgotten. Will definitively stay here our next time. Warmly recommended!

Regards,
Lene

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank LeneGruer
San Jose, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Pro:
What I like about this place, was the location and the building was like authentic Spanish Villa right at the beach next to the 5-notte street which has all the shops and restaurants.Staff were very nice and helpful, rooms were clean daily, had AC and frig and little balconies.
During my stay it was the BPM fest going on, and couple of my friends who stayed at the different hotels near by they said they cant sleep at night because of the clubs and the party's don't stop until 6am. I didn't have that problem at this Hotel :-)
I would definitely stay here again for 3-star Hotel and beach front, cant complain :-)

Con:
The hotel furniture and decor can get a little upgrade.

Tips:
All the front ocean view have a nice balconies tv, frig, AC, I recommend rooms: 301, 302, 303,304,305, 306

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank shoxha
Fort Worth, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

Since recently having knee surgery, I knew I wanted to be close to the beach but also close to restaurants. The Pelicano Inn, Playa del Carmen turned out to be the perfect location. Traveling the Saturday after Thanksgiving and staying for 4 nights, I found the location to be better than expected. The manager was kind enough to give me a ground floor room with a refrigerator when I emailed my request a month before asking. I wanted for nothing. Everyone that worked there was so kind and was always ready to assist, almost before asking. Paying half the cost of all other hotels on the beach was a bonus. Even if the cost was the same, I'd still pay it for the ambiance. I had the garden view and couldn't imagine taking a different room. It was so wonderful to see all the foliage while sitting on my balcony with my coffee every morning. I highly recommend this hotel and will not consider staying any place else if my travel plans take me back to PDC in the future.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank pscert23
Guadalajara, Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

the service and everything was just amazing, Ismael at the front desk was incredible, he sowed me around the beach, extremely kind and polite, all the personnel there was.
no doubt the best experience I've ever had in a hotel in playa del carmen! so placed of my visit and certainly coming back
I do expect next year to be back and share more good moments at this amazing place.
honestly the yes hotel I've ever been into in playa del carmen

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo