“Great location, average room”

Aldea Thai Luxury Condohotel
Ranked #166 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
“Great location, average room”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

This is advertised as "luxury condos". It might be to local standards, but not North American standards. For those who are beach lovers, its one of the best locations in Playa. The building itself, although attractive seems to be poorly built as you can hear "everything" from the room next door and out in the hall! This doesnt work for a "luxury condo" when you get woken up at 2 am, at 3 am, and at 4 am, by partiers coming home.
As well the wifi is very sketchy, the desk staff is friendly, but dont fully understand english. Not that is common here, but then dont label it as a "luxury" hotel!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Thank the black pearl @shaw.ca

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Hebrew first
Los Altos, California
Reviewed February 27, 2013

This hotel has a good and bad location. It is located centrally in Playa del Carmen and right next to Mamita's Beach--that is the good. There were concerts on Mamita's Beach two of the nights we stayed there and the music played until 4 AM. You literally could not hear yourself think inside the condo let alone get a good night sleep. Being situated on one of the main access streets to the beach made for heavy traffic and noise at all hours of the day and night. The housekeeping was just plain awful. One day they never came to clean the room and every other day items were not restocked. There were no chairs on the patio despite repeated requests that chairs be brought--this is the bad. There are better choices of places to stay in Playa del Carmen. Be warned!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Playa del Carmen hotels

Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed February 24, 2013

We booked our stay at Aldea Thai by La Divina through a travel company as an all inclusive resort. We were very disappointed to find that they only offered breakfast and lunch wiht a very limited menu and limits on meals (1 appetizer-1 entree). After paying an all inclusive price, we still had to go out each night and pay for dinner. In addition, every time we asked for something from the staff it was a struggle. For example, our room flooded at 1am on our first night there. We called the desk to let them know that there was at least 1 inch of water throughout the entire suite ( our luggage and clothes were soaked). They said a maintenance person would come up to assist. Nobody came so we went back to bed while feeling sorry for anyone below us who might be getting flooded as well. We had to call twice more in the morning and go to the desk to get assistance. When we asked for a new room they said they cleaned our room and we should just return to it. They gave us a hassle when we did not want to continue to stay in that room. Our friends staying with us had paid the "all inclusive fee" for 5 people but their suite only had 2 beds. When they asked for a cot or a blanket so someone could sleep on the sofa they told them they would have to pay an additional $25 per night for the blanket. Housekeeping staff did a poor job including giving 1 face cloth for 3 people to share despite being asked repeatedly to leave 3. We were given beach towels on our first day and despite requests, were never able to get clean replacements during our 8 day stay. Finally, the toilet in our second room (not the one that flooded) repeatedly backed up. Again, repeated calls to the desk and long delays before someone would come to fix it. To top it all off, the one and only bartender in this "all inclusive resort" was off flirting with a housekeeper and rarely around to ask for a drink. We tried giving him large tips to encourage better service but no luck.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank esisk
Des Moines, Iowa, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Near Mamitas beach . . . which was okay. Didn't really the blasting music from Kool though, but can walk in either direction for a long ways and get away from it. Short distance to 5th Avenue. Staff was friendly. We were asked to move to a different room after the first two nights, The view of the empty lot in the new room was not good, but it was a bigger room with a living room, dining room and kitchen. Not sure why they did this, but I suspect our room was rented? The pool was okay. Rooms were clean and furnished nicely.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LoriM148
Houston, Texas
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I couldn't be more disgusted off with this dump if I tried. I booked in as my friends were getting married and a few of us from all over (Singapore, England, Canada, USA, Mexico) including the Bride and Groom were staying at this "hotel" and really I use the term "hotel" or "condohotel" as they put it VERY LOOSELY! Management and Staff are some of the most incompetent I've ever encountered. Please note that I go to Mexico approx every 3 months and I travel the world with work and pleasure and I have NEVER been more disgusted off with a "hotel" in all my travels.

To start with I stayed in the Luxury Suite. Sounds nice, but this is the only luxury suite in the world that has 2 single beds in it. Imagine that, you book a luxury suite and there are 2 single beds in the room, not even a double or a queen. Pathetic. Of course I arrived at 11am as the "hotel" was aware when I made the booking and PRE PAID for the room. It was not going to be ready until 3pm, which was actually 5pm. So I spent the afternoon at the pool drinking with my buddies I hadn't seen in a long time. Comes time to pay the bill, sorry - cannot sign drinks to the room, no credit cards excepted cash only. Now considering in Playa Del Carmen you can only get $3k pesos out once a day in the ATM's, and the bar bill came to $2800 pesos, not off to a great start considering I was then cashless until the next day (drink prices were ridiculously expensive - more expensive than Houston hotel prices).

I had an important package that was required for the pre-wedding party that I had couriered from a Mazatlan Distillery to the hotel. I had emailed the hotel and asked them to please sign for the package (no money was required, only sign and hold for my arrival). I was assured this would not be a problem and would be their pleasure to do so. The package arrived at the hotel twice on the 5th Feb, once on the 6th Feb and once on the 7th, the hotel REFUSED TO SIGN FOR IT! I needed it for my arrival on the 7th and the festivities that evening. Finally after back and forth with the unbelievably incompetent staff and management they got my package signed for and delivered to my room on the 8th (THE DAY AFTER I NEEDED IT!). I'm still seething with disgust for this place.

I have about 5 other stories to share about there being NO RESTAURANT, NO ROOM SERVICE, CHILDRENS BEDS in the Luxury Suite, Staff who don't know where rooms are located (big place, like a maze and NOT ONE SIGN TO POINT YOU IN THE DIRECTION OF ANY GIVEN ROOM!) 2 YAPPY Dogs that were living in the room next to mine that started humping and barking at 6:02 every morning, and stopped somewhere around 11pm at night so good luck trying to get a wink of sleep. So there was a lot and I mean a lot of walking down one wing of the hotel back to the other, back to another, back to yet another all on the recommendations of where the rooms were from the cleaning staff, maintenance and reception.

There are 2 reception areas, one in the "hotel" itself and another for the VIP (which apparently I was), the VIP reception area though is outside the property out on the street and next door to the property, so you'd have to leave the property to talk to reception who were more useless that 3 udders on a bull.

The one good thing though, the roof top terraces with the tiny plunge pools were great for the parties (if only we had the booze I had ordered instead of the crap we found on the streets).

I can't write anymore as my blood pressure is boiling. I'd recommend taking half of the money you were going to spend, give it to a an S+M expert and get a good drilling up your backside for an hour, and just stay at home because by the time you're done with this experience, the sensation will be similar! Sitting at home with the feeling of being drilled up the backside, sitting at home with no money or satisfaction at all from this "hotel". I hope they all get fired.

Room Tip: Give your money to charity instead of staying here. Roof Top Terraces are nice, albeit NO PRIVACY!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Conrad M
Auburn, New York
Reviewed February 10, 2013

First and foremost Playa Del Carmen is absolutely beautiful a must visit. I rented unit 219 at Aldea thai through Bric Vacation Rentals. The accommodations were incredible. The unit itself was impeccable. Location OH YEA, you cant find a better one playa everything u want and need is right there, mamitas beach, 5th ave and all the rest of the incredible places to explore in Playa.

The service from Bric was incredible. My booking agent Stephanie was wonderful she went above and beyond to making my reservation effortless, she answered any and every question i had.

The staff were great. the beaches were gorgeous, the people of playa were amazing. absolutely love playa look forward to many more trips there in the future.

Room Tip: Unit 219 through Bric Vacation Rentals. Unit was amazing and much more than we expected. Clean...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Great location and on beach. But nothing is luxury about this place. My wallet was stolen from my roof top pool with me up there. Staff member was changing lights on roof deck next to mine I went to get him a beer came back he was gone and so was my wallet with lots of cash. Staff didn't even care or even question Any of their people.
Then I was stolen from a second time. When the maids come they leave the door cracked and open- some people not staying at the hotel but able to wander around came in while maids were there and stole my sunglasses and more cash. How they don't have security to check wristbands at a luxury place is Un believable. If you stay here leave your passport and wallet at the airport lol

• Stayed January 2013