“I'd Have To Invent New Swear Words To Properly Review This Dump”

Aldea Thai Luxury Condohotel
Ranked #159 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Houston, Texas
“I'd Have To Invent New Swear Words To Properly Review This Dump”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 11, 2013

I couldn't be more disgusted off with this dump if I tried. I booked in as my friends were getting married and a few of us from all over (Singapore, England, Canada, USA, Mexico) including the Bride and Groom were staying at this "hotel" and really I use the term "hotel" or "condohotel" as they put it VERY LOOSELY! Management and Staff are some of the most incompetent I've ever encountered. Please note that I go to Mexico approx every 3 months and I travel the world with work and pleasure and I have NEVER been more disgusted off with a "hotel" in all my travels.

To start with I stayed in the Luxury Suite. Sounds nice, but this is the only luxury suite in the world that has 2 single beds in it. Imagine that, you book a luxury suite and there are 2 single beds in the room, not even a double or a queen. Pathetic. Of course I arrived at 11am as the "hotel" was aware when I made the booking and PRE PAID for the room. It was not going to be ready until 3pm, which was actually 5pm. So I spent the afternoon at the pool drinking with my buddies I hadn't seen in a long time. Comes time to pay the bill, sorry - cannot sign drinks to the room, no credit cards excepted cash only. Now considering in Playa Del Carmen you can only get $3k pesos out once a day in the ATM's, and the bar bill came to $2800 pesos, not off to a great start considering I was then cashless until the next day (drink prices were ridiculously expensive - more expensive than Houston hotel prices).

I had an important package that was required for the pre-wedding party that I had couriered from a Mazatlan Distillery to the hotel. I had emailed the hotel and asked them to please sign for the package (no money was required, only sign and hold for my arrival). I was assured this would not be a problem and would be their pleasure to do so. The package arrived at the hotel twice on the 5th Feb, once on the 6th Feb and once on the 7th, the hotel REFUSED TO SIGN FOR IT! I needed it for my arrival on the 7th and the festivities that evening. Finally after back and forth with the unbelievably incompetent staff and management they got my package signed for and delivered to my room on the 8th (THE DAY AFTER I NEEDED IT!). I'm still seething with disgust for this place.

I have about 5 other stories to share about there being NO RESTAURANT, NO ROOM SERVICE, CHILDRENS BEDS in the Luxury Suite, Staff who don't know where rooms are located (big place, like a maze and NOT ONE SIGN TO POINT YOU IN THE DIRECTION OF ANY GIVEN ROOM!) 2 YAPPY Dogs that were living in the room next to mine that started humping and barking at 6:02 every morning, and stopped somewhere around 11pm at night so good luck trying to get a wink of sleep. So there was a lot and I mean a lot of walking down one wing of the hotel back to the other, back to another, back to yet another all on the recommendations of where the rooms were from the cleaning staff, maintenance and reception.

There are 2 reception areas, one in the "hotel" itself and another for the VIP (which apparently I was), the VIP reception area though is outside the property out on the street and next door to the property, so you'd have to leave the property to talk to reception who were more useless that 3 udders on a bull.

The one good thing though, the roof top terraces with the tiny plunge pools were great for the parties (if only we had the booze I had ordered instead of the crap we found on the streets).

I can't write anymore as my blood pressure is boiling. I'd recommend taking half of the money you were going to spend, give it to a an S+M expert and get a good drilling up your backside for an hour, and just stay at home because by the time you're done with this experience, the sensation will be similar! Sitting at home with the feeling of being drilled up the backside, sitting at home with no money or satisfaction at all from this "hotel". I hope they all get fired.

Room Tip: Give your money to charity instead of staying here. Roof Top Terraces are nice, albeit NO PRIVACY!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Conrad M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Hebrew first
Auburn, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 10, 2013

First and foremost Playa Del Carmen is absolutely beautiful a must visit. I rented unit 219 at Aldea thai through Bric Vacation Rentals. The accommodations were incredible. The unit itself was impeccable. Location OH YEA, you cant find a better one playa everything u want and need is right there, mamitas beach, 5th ave and all the rest of the incredible places to explore in Playa.

The service from Bric was incredible. My booking agent Stephanie was wonderful she went above and beyond to making my reservation effortless, she answered any and every question i had.

The staff were great. the beaches were gorgeous, the people of playa were amazing. absolutely love playa look forward to many more trips there in the future.

Room Tip: Unit 219 through Bric Vacation Rentals. Unit was amazing and much more than we expected. Clean...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

Great location and on beach. But nothing is luxury about this place. My wallet was stolen from my roof top pool with me up there. Staff member was changing lights on roof deck next to mine I went to get him a beer came back he was gone and so was my wallet with lots of cash. Staff didn't even care or even question Any of their people.
Then I was stolen from a second time. When the maids come they leave the door cracked and open- some people not staying at the hotel but able to wander around came in while maids were there and stole my sunglasses and more cash. How they don't have security to check wristbands at a luxury place is Un believable. If you stay here leave your passport and wallet at the airport lol

• Stayed January 2013
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed here recently and was blown away by this hotel. The reception greeting was perfect! Entire staff was friendly, helpful and resourceful. Rooms were beautifully decorated and well kept by the maintenance department.
The location is perfect!!!
Located 1 block from 5th Ave (similar to Miami beach's Lincoln Road) and also located on the beautiful beach.

Overall GREAT!
*Only thing I didn't enjoy and I was told they are working on fixing was the very weak WiFi signal.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul B
texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2012

Beautiful but terrible service. Restaurants weren't great, but location was amazing. I would stay again, but only if we rented the penthouse again--the rooftop pool is great place to gather and have drinks, very spacious and great views of city and beach.

• Stayed November 2012
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

We vacationed in playa for a week in mid december, and ended up choosing this resort. Everything was new, and the unit we rented was actually noticeably nicer than the pictures. It sounds like from talking to a few guests they had done a lot of renovation work in november. The location was why we picked this place and we ended up renting from someone who owned a membership at this particular resort. It was expensive, but I think it was worth the price. We met another couple there who was renting from a property management company.. Mystic I think it was and they managed a few units for a few full-time owners and their experience wasn't quite as nice as ours. I love mexico and the playa del carmen so this resort had it all for me.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KarGypsy
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2012

I was a little nervous about staying at this resort because of all the reviews, from the moment we arrived we were treated amazingly by a team of concierge, they welcome me and my husband with a fresh towel and a mimosa, our room had an excelent view to playa mamitas! We didnt have any problems with the A.C.. We also had the oportunity to see La Divina, this is their new project at aldea thai! its Beautiful!! Definetly all the remodeling was worth it! When you visit Aldea Thai be sure to ask about it! We were so in love with the exclusiveness and service provided we didnt doubt to become members with them! Its location is incredible... 5th avenue is only a block away, we did much shopping, tours, and enjoyed delicious gourmet dinners! Karla our concierge was beautiful!! We cant wait to see her next year!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple