“Great staff and clean hotel!”
Review of Hotel Bambu Suites

Hotel Bambu Suites
Ranked #133 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed September 29, 2012

we are very happy to have stayed here for the location and cleanliness, its worth the money we paid, staff was freindly and helpful, Jorge, Carlos and Juan! You all made it so easy for us to see around and feel safe. Oxxo is aright around the corner for capuchinno, there is a tiendita very close that sells water at a cheap 18 pesos for a gallon, we found this very convenient since there is no water at the hotel, despite the pool is small it was ok because you can use it when no one is in it to avoid crowdiness, the hot tub was the max, we loved that part! if you wish to stay away from the noise of 5th avenue this is great! I would come back here definitely if i return to Playa! Eat at el Fogon!

Room Tip: if you have small children get ground floor 102 very convenient if it rains
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 26, 2012

I am on the phone with Expedia now to resolve issues I had with this hotel as hotel management has yet to respond to me. Expedia informed me that if I had contacted them while I was there, they would have been able to assist me. Unfortunately I did not pay the expense of having an international calling plan/services or I would have called Expedia. I have yet to receive a response from the hotel manager regarding the e-mail I sent (below).

I am very disappointed with the number of issues that I've had during my stay at your hotel and the lackadaisical attitude that I perceived from your staff. Please keep in mind I am a guest on vacation at your hotel. I live in and take pride in a clean home. When I stay in a hotel I expect the same and even greater as I am paying for a service.

July 19-Upon entering my room for the first time, I observed the table was filthy, dusty/unclean nightstand and headboard, a used/nasty bottle of conditioner, the bathroom sink had a lot of debris that came out when turned on and squirts water. One of the drawers won't close which makes it difficult to close the closet. Also at bedtime I noticed the phone didn't work. I brought all of these things to Carlos' attention. During the night the a.c. made a lot of noise. I got up to adjust the flap and noticed FILTHY air filters.

July 20-Reported a.c. to female staff.Returned in the The phone was still not working. Carlos told me to wait until the next day even though I mentioned it to him the night before.

July 21-Arrived to room late evening and the air didn't work. The male employee sitting at the desk with Carlos came to my room and asked me questions as though I was the engineer. I asked to be changed to another room and was told the hotel was COMPLETELY booked. Carlos came and reset the a.c. The water would not get hot. I called the front desk and he acted as though he didn't understand me.

July 22-At 5:30 a.m. there was continuous loud banging. When I called the front desk it took minutes for him to answer. When I asked what the noise was he said it was room 102 and his tone indicated to me that he was aggravated that I called and asked. I reported the hot water issue before leaving in the morning. Late evening I returned to my room and the air did not work. Juan was unsuccessful in fixing it and asked me if I wanted to move to another room. I told him that I asked previously to move and was told the hotel was booked (I believe that was a lie). I asked him who would help me move my things. He told me to move them in the morning. I told him I wasn't sleeping in one room and leaving my items in another. I had to REPEATEDLY explain to him why this was unacceptable before he finally offered assistance. In room 206 I could not get the bathroom window to close. Water from the shower leaks into the closet area which is a serious safety issue. The hot water ran out after only 3 minutes in the shower. The a.c. started off cold but gradually the temperature dropped leaving me to sweat during the night. That is the most uncomfortable feeling.

EVERYDAY of my stay here there has been an issue. This is unacceptable. I sacrifice a lot to take a vacation and should not have to worry about cleanliness and maintenance issues. I am appalled by the lack of urgency expressed by your staff which contradicts the field of hospitality and demonstrates unprofessionalism.

For this hotel to be fairly new, it is quickly on the decline-mildew, rust, rooms not thoroughly clean, broken window handles, broken furniture, water issues, etc. Customer feedback is a gift to a business and should not be taken for granted or dismissed.

Very Disappointed,

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank SpiritofExcellence
Reviewed July 10, 2012

We got a king suite for around $55 dollars and found this to be an excellent deal. The room was clean and the front desk was extremely friendly. They had many local restaurant suggestions, all of which turned out to be wonderful, inexpensive meals. Sure, the furniture is oddly distributed throughout the room and the kitchen has a blender instead of a stove, but overall the hotel and staff make this a real gem. Also, the pool was a little murky and small but we never used it so we didn't mind. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Room 301 has a nice balcony and pool view.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Matthew V
Reviewed June 22, 2012

We stayed 4 nights at bambu and booked by best day a junior suite. The suite assigned was.the 301 in front of the pool , 1 king size bed very comfortable with a big closet , a nice and modern kitchen with a medium refrigerator , microwave oven , clean and big bathroom , two minisplits . We liked the roof area with 2 jacuzzis and chairs for relaxing after 6pm enjoying the nice breeze at the sunset Do not miss Xocolatier a nice restaurant one block from the hotel were you can take a delicious breakfast or lunch for less than 10 usd . The hotel recommended a beach club but there were boats in the front and we preferred mamitas beach .club al 28 street or the club next to mamitas . We have been in playa 5 times .

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank BBSOS
Reviewed February 6, 2012

We came here with our 7 months old son. We were looking for a 2 room place with kitchen that allows us to prepare baby food.
The following we found:
- very friendly and competent staff
- very clean hotel in general (incl. rooms, shower room/toilet and other facilities)
- two nice spas on the roof-top as well as many sunloungers
- high quality soaps/shampoos for showering/washing hands (compared to other low-cost stuff that can be found in some places)
- nice beds
- nice mondern furnishing that makes it easy to feel like home
- well filled (mini) bar, incl. a variety of drinks, sweets and nosh (chips, noodle soup cups, pop corn, ...)
- well situated; at the upper end of 5th ave, close to where the "shopping mile" starts; only about fifteen to twenty minutes to walk to huge super markets (i.e. "Mega" or "Wal Mart")
- about 5 minutes walk to the beach
- about twenty to twenty-five minutes to the ADO bus terminal (all along the 5th ave)

What we missed/found not so good:
- we wanted to rent a baby bed and a baby's high chair for two weeks; the pricing was unreasonably high (15 USD per day each), means more expensive than if you'd buy it. The best offer was both items for the price of one - but still enough to buy your own (we actually found both items even cheaper in the super markets). Normal cost we found elsewhere is USD 30.- per item per week (which is what we expected).
- for some a plus, for us not (nowadays): there was no option to tell the cleaning staff to leave the towels - they were changed every single day! Not very "green".
- when opening the kitchen cabinets, a smell of mildew came out; we could not find the source of it though
- there were no cooking plates as we expected - the microwave was all to cook things
- when we arrived, water came out only from half of the holes in the shower head, and from each hole only half of the amount - but it was easy to disassemble and clean; not a big deal
- two small windows can be opened and closed by crank handle; both of the windows were unhinged and therefore could not be opened/closed by the crank - again quite easy to fix
- no dishwashing detergent
- a very personal thing: I got dorsal pain because of the bed; my wife not though

In general we can easily recommend the hotel to others. It's a quiet, clean and friendly place with only few unpleasant things that don't weigh much. We might come back here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Holywood07
Reviewed December 26, 2011

This is a very clean, modern, quiet hotel just around the corner from all the main attractions on 5th. The rooms are simple but hip and we liked having a full sized refrigerator and comfy bed. The rooftop deck @ hot tubs are nice also. Service has been great on 1 occasion the toilet clogged and on another we couldn't get the safe open. Someone came right away both times. A lot of restaurants on this side of 5th are recommended so we tried several - El Diez & Piola were especially good. This was our first time staying in a regular hotel in Playa. We've been here 3 times before and always stayed in high-end all inclusives. We would stay here again..

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank bzambito
Reviewed August 23, 2011

Pros:
- Price was very good comparing with other accommodations in Playa del Carmen.
- Kitchenette. They had a fridge, microwave and a blender. (the blender was wired and useless , it would have been better to have a kettle of a coffeemaker).
- Close to the beach
- clean

Cons:
- Service. The reception staff was not very nice. They gave us wrong information and misled us, so don’t count on them.
- Quiet remote from the center (but still there are some great restaurants around).
- Tiny pool, so don’t count of on it.
- On the day of checkout our room started to smell really bad with sewage smell from the toilet. Good thing that we were leaving…

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jannagu