“For the price, excellent hotel”
Review of Hotel Plaza Playa

Hotel Plaza Playa
Ranked #69 of 213 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Reviewed July 9, 2013 via mobile

We invited at tripadvisor, it costs 46 usd for night to couple include breakfast. The price worth that hotel!
The breakfast include eggs, coffee, juice, cornfleks and bread, nice for starting the day. The staff was nice and the rooms was clean.
The location is average, 3 minutes from supermarket, but 10 minutes from 5th av.

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank AvivReut

Reviewed July 2, 2013

Had seen this hotel several times and thought it would be a good place to stay. We stayed at Plaza Playa for 8 days in June. Great value for the money. Nice rooms, very clean. Staff were all very nice and accommodating to all our needs. The optional mini breakfast was very good. This hotel has everything you need. Would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

We really like the hotel. Sigfried (the owner)was at the little cafe to greet us every morning. The breakfast was excellent. Our room had a microwave and a small refrigerator. The hotel is 1 block from Mega Mart and just around the corner from Ave 30 where there are many great restaurants. I guess the only reason I didn't give it a 5 is because it is a litte bit of a walk to the beach and it doesn't have a pool but we knew that when we made the reservations. The walk to beach and no pool was not abig deal to us. If you go there please say ''HOLA'' to Sigfried, his wife, and the staff for us!

Room Tip: We chose a street side room so we could have a balcony.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the Plaza Playa for near a month and I have to sy, it was a great base. Cheap and cheerful, staff were fantastic and ha the option of a mini buffet breakfast every morning. About a 10 minute walk to the beach, which I walked most mornings after breakfast. About 20 minutes from the collectivo station where you can go from Cancun to Tulum! It will be a great hotel for people travelling on a budget but still want to be close to the action. I'll be visiting there again soon :)

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I have to preface by saying that I think we got upgraded to a suite simply due to luck of the draw, so my review may be biased by the fact I literally got more than I paid for. I couldn't believe what I saw when I walked in the room! It was huge! We had three balconies, a set of couches as well as a small dining table and chairs. The king bed was very comfortable. For the price (which was just over $50 including all taxes, fees and breakfast) I don't believe I've ever had a better value room in all of my travels. I was almost sad that we were only staying there one night!

The breakfast buffet was well worth the money. When booking, I chose the "with breakfast" option because it was only something like $7 more. I wasn't expecting much as it said "continental" somewhere... but I figured even if it was just toast and juice it still was a fair price for the room overall. Instead there's hot food, pastries, a choice of juices and a nice yogurt and granola bowl.

For us, location wasn't an issue. We were at the end of our vacation and our house in Akumal wasn't available for the last night of our trip, so we just needed a room to get us through the night before the airport. We had a rental car, so a priority for us was parking, which this hotel had. However, for those that are in Playa to enjoy the beach or 5th ave shopping, the location may not be ideal. Its not too bad though. We had a < 2 year old baby plus two 60+ seniors in our party of 5 and we still managed the walking. Taxis are readily available but we didn't bother. So its not a particularly bad location either.

The front desk woman (I didn't get her name unfortunately) was exceptionally helpful and friendly. She got us checked in early because our baby needed a nap (that may have been why we got the suite?) and was very good at giving us directions to nearby things we needed (food, shopping, etc). I briefly met the manager (owner?) during breakfast and he seemed very nice as well, with a "whatever makes your stay pleasant" kind of attitude. All the cleaning staff had smiles on their faces when passing. Nothing bad to say about anyone there!

Free wifi worked well in the common areas. Not so well in our room, but we were at the very far end.

If I ever get back that way, I'll stay there again without hesitation!

Room Tip: Room 17 is easily their best room if you can get it!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed with my wife in this hotel for 3 days in May 2013. Playa Plaza hotel is a very nice budget hotel, functional and complete value for money.

I can highlight a few positives:

1. Close to 5th avenue and the beach. You can walk to Cozumel ferry station as well
2. Convenience stores (incl. Walmart) are close
3. Just a block from Walmart (30th Avenue), you will find ATMs for HSBC and Santander bank
4. ADO bus station is a 10 mins walk
5. Free parking space in front of hotel (a big plus if you wish to rent the car, which is highly recommended. Use easyway rental car. Very professional and they even delivered the car to hotel premises)

The room was very spacious and has lots of closet space. The only thing, I expected (and was missing) was a electric kettle for boiling water. But nothing, to complain about.

I would definitely recommend the hotel to travelers.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WanderlustBugK
Reviewed April 27, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is walking distance to the beach and 5th Avenue which is the main tourist area. The Chedraui (huge supermarket) more or less a Walmart is across the street. The rooms were nice and clean and the AC was great! Cable TV and a breakfast buffet (not a casino style buffet obviously, fruit, coffee, fresh juice, pastries, and a few hot items) for 50 pesos! This place is practical for those traveling! I Absolutely recommend staying here! Also some rooms have a balcony! The hotel is very modern in appearance, forget about when it may have been built, it's like new! The shower was great! Safe in room! Enjoy Yourself!

• Stayed: April 2013