“An Authentic Mayan Experience”

Playa del Carmen Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Playa del Carmen's #1 tour company saves you $$ on a wide variety of fun, safe and exciting tours, activities and excursions, all departing conveniently from your hotel lobby in Playa del Carmen, Cancun and the Riviera Maya. English-Speaking customer service is available to assist you with your questions and bookings 7 days a week by phone, live chat, Skype, Facebook or email. We offer one-stop shopping for everything from Mayan Ruins, tours to cenote, snorkeling, adventures to ATV tours and to cruise shore excursions - come experience the service, price and selection that has made us the go-to in Playa del Carmen.
Reviewed March 13, 2012

tour_review: Wow what a tour!! Not only was our guide very passionate about all the details, but the extra care and attention he gave each one of us was much appreciated. This tour combines a very authentic Mayan experience, with a fun yet relaxing full day. The bike ride was fun through the jungle of the ruins, the climb to the top of Coba was scary yet exhilarating ,the Mayan dinner was very delicious with an amazing sunset view over the water the pottery activity was a nice touch and the Mayan show was pretty good for a final touch to the day. We quite liked where the show was held as it felt VERY authentic as we walked into the area. Overall I would give this tour 2 thumbs up. I think this tour is fairly new but I envision that it is going to be popular when word gets out.

Reviewed February 16, 2012

These schedules and fares could save yu a lot of money while traveling in the Cancun-Playa-Tulum Areas looking for economic ways to see attractions listed in their schedules including Chichn Izta, Tulum Ruins, Coba, & other exhibits.

1  Thank Bailey H
Reviewed February 16, 2012

Ek Balam was fascinating and a MUCH better experience than Chichen Itza. The tour guide we had was an experienced archeologist who had been on site for several years and was very informed on the history and background of not only the site, but the cultures behind it all. But the best part of the trip was definitely the Cenote Maya. Swimming in a huge underground cavern that is about 100 yards wide. The brave ones rappelled down into it, us old folks walked down the stairs. This was one of our favorite parts of the whole week in Mexico.

1  Thank Greg G
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Great staff, great tour. I did a two tank ocean dive and had an incredible time

Reviewed February 3, 2012

We just got back yesterday, and I wanted to be sure to post this review right away. We stayed at the Valentin Imperial Maya (fantastic place) for six days and I booked the Chichen Itza tour for last Tuesday online via BJ Tours before we left (the tour company was actually Emotion Tours). I was a bit skeptical, because the price was so low ($59!) for an 11-hour tour including lunch (but not beverages), a cenote visit and the entrance to Chichen Itza. Compared to ship excursions, this was a bargain basement price. But I had no reason to worry. The bus was great - reclining seats, air-conditioned, and even a small bathroom in the back. But the best part was the tour guide - Victor. He was totally bilingual - necessary because some of the group were Spanish speaking. He was funny, knowledgable, and the only person I have even known who can write upside down so we are reading what he writes on the pad of paper he is holding in front of him. He taught us some Mayan words, which we of course promptly forgot, but the most interesting part to me was his explanation of Mayan math which was easy to understand and fascinating. He also told us about the Mayan concept of life and nature and how that affected their lifestyle. Once at the ruins, we divided into two groups - English and Spanish speaking. Victor did the Spanish group, so we had another guide, who was also wonderful. The ruins were a little disappointing because it rained while we were there (take your rain pancho!) and there were WAY too many vendors, not only along the path, but even right by the ruins. Apparently, they are legallly allowed to be there, but they're pretty annoying. These two things, of course, we totally out of the control of the tour company. The ruins themselves were interesting, but to appreciate them, it really helps to read beforehand, especially about the older section, which you tour on your own.

I would highly recommend this tour. The only caveats are these: it is a minimum 12-hour tour, not 11 as it says online, so make any dinner plans accordingly. We were picked up about 7:45 and got back at 8:45! The time would be about an hour shorter if you are staying in Playa del Carmen. The other is be prepared for a different order for the trip. What I read online indicated the cenote visit was last when it was actually first. Had I known that, I would have had my suit on under my clothes, but they do have a changing room there - bring your own towel. Also, the cenote was probably not one of the best, but at the price I paid, I am most definitely not complaining. There was even a stop at at Spanish town on the way back which added even more to the tour.

My only regret is that because Victor gave such a great explanation of obsedian and its properties that I spent too much of the small amount of cash we had with us to buy an obsedian god of prosperity and we didn't have enough for a decent tip for him and our guide at the ruins. My objective was certainly not to gain propserity at the cost of underappreciating our guide! I contacted the tour company, and there is a way for us to get the tip to both of them after the fact. That's how much I appreciated the tours they gave.

4  Thank cdominia