My husband and I stayed at Mahekal for seven nights and it was honestly one of the best places we have ever visited on vacation. I had high expectations after reading the reviews here and other places and the resort and its staff did not disappoint.
We arrived very early and our room wasn't yet ready. No problem. The staff invited us to change into our bathing suits and enjoy the property until the room was ready for us. They even greeted us with cool towels and water and took our bags so we could head to the beach.
The beach at Mahekal is one of the best in Playa. It's wide, white sand is beautiful and the water is perfect for swimming because there is no rough reefs. There were always plenty of lounge chairs on the beach and we could always find a spot under the palapas. I personally preferred the caribe side. Yes, there is public beach access right at Mahekal, but it was no big deal. The beach never seemed crowded and the water was always way less crowded than areas south.
We stayed in the pueblito garden section and our room was less then a two minute walk to the beach. It was quiet and tranquil there. We loved it. The only reason I would spend more money to upgrade our room was to take advantage of the ocean breeze. Back in the garden section all the lush tropical landscaping sorta steal the breeze :) Other than that our room looked the same as a beachfront unit i peeked into. In fact, I thought ours was nicer with a nicer headboard and more closet space. The rooms are basic but nice and comfortable. Our air conditioning was very cold and the ceiling fan made it feel down right frigid if we wanted it, so no problems there. It was always cleaned perfectly each day. The shower was open and big. Our room was very close to LaLoma where you eat dinner. Meals at Mehekal were excellent. Try the white fish...sooo good. In fact, try it all. We loved it, especially Mexican Fiesta night. The waiters are all really nice. Our favorites were Ivan and Juan. Brekfast was amazing with fresh fruit, cereals, pastries and made to order eggs, frensh toasts or pancakes. Mahekal even has a great lunch menu and u can eat right on the beach. So excellent. Drinks are cheap and happy hour features a 2 for 1 special...can't beat that.
The resort is set up like a little mayan village with rooms in individual bungalows or two-story casitas. They all have their own porches with hammocks and little tables. I loved swinging on the hammock. One night I could hear music playing. It was so nice.
Also this resort is close to the downtown, shopping area with restaraunts, stores, clubs, etc. You can walk or take a cab. It's also just a short cab ride to the collectivo stand that can take you to tulum, akumal, hidden worlds and several cenotes and other activities. The collectivo is way less expensive than a cab to these places and so easy to use. You can get to tulum and back for $6 a person instead of a $90 cab ride!!
Anyway, back to Mahekal, the staff and the surrounding make this place so speacial. It's not like a big, impersonal super-all inclusive. The staff knows you and is very friendly and helpful. The vibe of ths hotel is very laid-back and really hosts a great mix of people from young couples and families. We met guests from around the world there. Everyone kinda of is just there doing there thing, enjoying the sights and sounds of the Caribbean. We loved it and highly recommend staying there.
Thank you Mahekal for an amazing trip. We will be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico