We had the greatest time at Shangri-La!
Plan on getting lost when trying to locate the hotel for the first time. It's in a very tricky location. Once you find it, it's pure heaven though!
Boyfriend and I stayed in a garden view cabana, which was perfect for us. I think you have more privacy than beach front, and are still only steps away from the beach.
The public beach access through the middle of the resort was our only negative at first, but we met many incredibly friendly locals this way. One little boy sat on the beach in front of me all afternoon and chatted up my boyfriend for a good 15 minutes even though he spoke no english and boyfriend spoke no spanish. I think they both thought the other was just too funny.
The rooms aren't lavish, but they're comfortable and adequate. We actually enjoyed the food. That may be because all the reviews I had read didn't set my expectations very high. There's a selection each night of 2 soups, 2 entrees and 2 desserts. With all that food, you never go hungry and can usually find something to please the tastebuds, unless you're just a picky eater. Lunch was over priced as were the drinks. We went to the grocery store and picked up a couple six packs and some snacks, one of those foam coolers, and were set for the week.
The staff is extremely friendly and very attentive. There's free wi-fi access in the lobby in case you need to check out what's going on outside Shangri-La. With no TV, we brought my laptop to watch DVD's on at night which worked out very well.
If you're looking for a relaxing, quiet, non-hoity toity hotel, I would definitely recommend Shangri-La. If you want marble bathrooms, constant entertainment, someone to fluff your pillows, etc, this is not the place for you.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Expedia, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico