“Awesome Resort”

Ranked #28 of 209 Hotels in Playa del Carmen
Berkeley, CA
“Awesome Resort”
Reviewed January 19, 2009

Awesome Vacation at the ShangriLa!!!!
This was our second time here and now I hope we can return again. Everything about this resort is fantastic, the pools, the restaurants, the beach and the rooms. We loved hanging out in our hammocks everyday, looking out at the water. Swimming at the beach was great when it wasn't too windy and rough. The pools were never crowded, so we mostly had them to ourselves. Staff were gracious, prompt and friendly. Food yummy with the exception of one night. The musical entertainment during dinner was excellent and a nice touch. It was walking distance to the town center for great live music venues, dancing and/or clubbing.
There is a rumor that this place will be knocked down, so I suggest that you stay here while it still exists. It is a great value and worth every cent.
We all loved it tremendously!!!!

• Liked — The location and all the amenties
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Estrella13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (687)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London
Reviewed January 18, 2009

We stayed here as the first part of our honeymoon and couldn't have wished for a better start. The staff were super friendly, so welcoming and great fun. The rooms were spotlessly cleaned every day and well appointed. The complex is also located on the best part of the beach in Playa del Carmen.

Make sure you don't miss out on the happy hour drinks - a real highlight! Overall, highly recommended and good value for money.

Stayed December 2008
Holland
Reviewed January 8, 2009

This surely is an excellent hotel; too bad it's going to be torn down as of April 2009 to make room for a big ugly new hotel.

It is situated on the beach front. The rooms are actually little tropical huts that sort of form a village, connected by sandy gardens and walkways. It boasts two pools and two excellent restaurants. Breakfast is as it should be with lots of fresh fruits and eggs-any-style-you-want.

The best thing about the hotel probably is that it is situated about 10min walk from the center of Playa del Carmen. Other people told us that a new club just opened in the center (Coco Bongo), which keeps all the guests of the hotels in the vicinity awake until 7am! Don't wanna walk to the center everyday? Grab a cheap cab for 4 or 5 USD.

The center of Playa del Carmen is very appealing, with lots of great restaurants and bars, and nice shops. It's a fairly new tourist area (approx 8 years old), so no shabby buildings or anything. Not compared to Cancun, which nowadays is a horrible, busy city near the beach, with daytime traffic jams and permanent loud noise.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Only 1 towel per person per day
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Denmark
Reviewed January 2, 2009

This hotel i simply perfect. Rooms are very nice, clean and everythings works. The hotel area is tropical, friendly and very very well kept. Beach is perfect, food is great, and most of all the staff is the friendliest and most smiley like staff I have ever met. Very high and friendly service. Thank you to them all:-)

Stayed December 2008
2 Thank Jakse
Texas
Reviewed January 1, 2009

Every review of Shangri-la was right on the money - amazing stay after 2-3 trips that were below our expectation at other resorts. We stayed in a beachfront suite and it was roomy and the private front porch was what made the trip. We had happy hour drinks each night and dinner at the hotel many of the days. We got Ice each morning and some snacks and drinks from the local market right up the street.

$5 cab ride to downtown Playa and we went in 2 nights and had some decent meals but none much better than what we had at the hotel. We saw the same staff at breakfast and dinner most every day which was nice and they always remembered us and where we liked to sit - very nice touch.

Only small complaint was the air condition in the beachfront rooms are not very strong as we like to sleep cold. We were either outside or right under the vent to stay cool since we took the trip in August.

All in all everything was perfect, very much worth the money and the best trip we have yet to take!

• Liked — The beach front rooms, much smaller resort
  • Disliked — air conditioning
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JeffmoTX
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed December 14, 2008

We went for 1 week during Thanksgiving week. We wanted to spend a wonderful Thanksgiving week with family. Hotel cabins looked pretty and area looked nice. But we had to wait for our rooms for 3 hours alhtough we had booked these 3 months earlier. We had requested for 2 cabins under the same roof but when we got there, they said that my daughter's cabin was somewhere else. We had requested 3 months ago and yet when we arrived it was not so. So we had to wait for over 3 hours. Rooms were mediocre but we did not mind this.

But the big disapointment was we could not use the pools as they were not heated. the desk lady said when we were leaving that the heaters were not working. So we could not swim or be in the pool. The ocean water was a bit cold, not 80 F as stated. We could not use the jacuzzi either as all the toddlers and kids were in it the whole day and throughout the week. So forget about a romantic moment in the jacuzzi! And they did not clean it..The jacuzzi was murky and dirty.

The worst expereince was when hotel security kept following my daughter and me everywhere the whole day and intimidating us. They had no smile but had threatening looks. One one night, a security guy followed my young daughter right up to her cabin door and questioned her whether she was a guest there, even after she showed him her room key. He intimidated her and was nasty. She was very upset with this experience, and did not feel safe. I too had a similar expereince. One evening after dinner my hubby and i came home at 12 am. the security guy greeted us as we entered but another guy kept following me (I was walking behind my hubby) and asking me questions. I was surprised as he never bothered my husband. My hubby is white and i am a dark Asian. I felt insulted and humilated with this expereince. this has never happened before as we travel a lot.

Another bad expereince was at the breakfast place. I was alone one morning and sat down for breakfast. No one came even though there were many waiters standing and watching and attending to others. After sometime, I hailed a waiter and he ignored me. Then i stood up and asked a passing waiter for a pot of tea and he told me to go and get it. myself. I was shocked and uncomfortable as this never happenend the mornings I came with my hubby when waiters were hovering and bringing stuff to our table. Then when my hubby joined us we started getting service. My hubby and I spoke with the head of the cafe and he was polite and apologised.

Normally when we pay a lot and go on vacation, it is nice to have polite hotel staff and nice to be pampered. But this was the most horrible hotel expereince I or my family has ever had. Why pay all this money and go to a place where there is a certain tone set with the staff. The hotel should train its staff to be hospitable to all, regardless of race, sex, color or?? And when a hotel charges a certain amount of money, then dont cheat us by telling us when we get there that the heater for the pools is not working and do nothing about it..It is just nice to be in a place where the staff is welcoming and hospitable to guests. The whole expereince was upsetting and disapointing.

• Liked — the cabins and scenic look
  • Disliked — horrible security behaviour and nt able to swim at all as pool not heated. Also was dark walking to hotel from town as no lights. Did not feel safe at night walking back from town. Informed the staff but they did not care.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled with family
7 Thank MellowNewYork
West Ural
Reviewed December 2, 2008

I’m from Russia and I have visited Mexico the first time in my life. I went to this country for my honeymoon and selected Playa Del Carmen city because I and my wife needed perfect beach and sea, not night life as in Cancun. By internet I realized that sea and beach in Playa Del Carmen are better that in Cancun. Shangri-La Caribe hotel I found by tripadvisor.com and there is no one opinion from other russian tourists. It was also the first time when I used this web site to looking for residence. So there was only one way – just to believe all that I have found on this resource. And now my trip in the past and what I can to say? All my expectations are not only come true. Shangri-La Caribe become one of the best hotels in the world I have ever seen. The main reasons for this high rating are very, very beautiful hotel design both in case of interior of the rooms and exterior, comfortable and beautiful white sand beach and also are very friendly staff. Hotel is placed right on beach in the beginning of the city and at in five minutes walk from the beginning of 5th avenue – central tourist street in Playa Del Carmen with a lot of restaurants, café and gift shops.

The hotel buried in verdure and this is one of its advantages. The hotel is not big. We are lived at Caribe section and there is about one and half minute walk to the beach. Let me repeat, that it is very, very beautiful hotel with beautiful beach of white sand and motton blue sea with plane sand bottom. I recommend this hotel to honeymooners and other who want to go to beautiful and quiet place at Carribean sea.

Unfortunaly recreation depends on people who are living in hotel with you. We had been in Shangri-La for two weeks. During first ten days hotel was half empty and it’s was fine. We can always find free beach chairs, tables at restaurant, etc. But on eleven day a lot of Americans arrived and hotel became full. Americans with children different ages – from infants to teens. They were very noisy. It was irritated. Moreover there are appeared problems to find not occupied table in restaurant, place on beach or billiard table at the bar. I read that there is a little boringly in the hotel due to lack of televisions in rooms. One man suggested to take portable video players, radios, etc. But I want to say that there is no necessity for these things. However you can take notebook because there is unlimited wireless internet access in the reception hall and in the bar only for 20 pesos (about 1,5 dollars). There is no internet in rooms.

Now my trip in the past and there is one more thing that I want to tell you: I realized that I’m missing for my Shangri-La Hotel room and this beautiful friendly place of the world.

P.S. You are welcome to any questions about Shangri-La and Playa Del Carmen city.

• Liked — Beautiful hotel design, a lot of vegetation, perfect beach
  • Disliked — A lot of noisy people at the last few days