The location is great, also the beach is really nice, the surrounding of the hotel filled with palm trees and nature is lovely and the concept of the palapa- rooms is really original and cool. unfortunately my room was old , the bathroom was filled with humidities in the walls, the mirror was all rusted, we couldn't even hang the towels cause it was broken, in my opinion at least you need a fridge and some drawers so you can at least have where to put your clothes .I wrote a mail to the manager of some things we were not happy about while I was there and he answered me until I left the hotel, and the excuse is they are remodeling the hotel, so in my opinion if some rooms are not presentable for the clients then they should not give them out until they are in good conditions or at least not charge so much money.
The breakfasts are not good they really need to put much more effort ! dinner is much better.!
Dissapointed of NewYears dinner comparing all the hotels we have been to. First they told us for the 2 nd booking which started at 8 o'clock we didn't need to reserve table cause mostly all European people preferred the first sitting which started at 6:30 pm. We emphasized if we were on the 2 nd booking we wouldn't have problems of not having enough food on the buffet and of course they reassured that will not happen and to our surprise the table for desserts was empty ! and there was just a big half a cake left!!! We asked the main chef and we talked with a a girl chef also the girl said that they calculated 2 different sweets per person and unfortunately the first sitting people took maybe 3 sweets per person so sorry there was non left!!! And it was just 8:30 pm and the restaurant was almost full, so the chef just sliced a green acid ananas and put it on the dessert table! We couldn't beleive it! Also the ambiance was terrible no music no nothing to put some atmosphere just a background boring radio. They didn't offer not even a newyears hat for the guests, the only thing they offered was a one hour Brazilian show after dinner that was nice but it's really sad the way all the waiters acted with no interest at all to tell the guests why they were passing around the 12 grapes ( which is a Mexican tradition or at least the Mexicans we always do it) so you would see everyone eating them without knowing why they got them before midnight !!
Big thing! My dad is 68 years and fell really bad on the floor just before going inside the room, cause the floor was really slimy for it had been raining , so we went to the reception to see at least if they had some pills for the pain or something they could give us and to our surprise they said they had nothing!!! so we had to go out to find a pharmacy and buy some things. HOW CAN IT BE POSSIBLE A HOTEL DOESN'T COUNT WITH A FIRST AID KIT!!?? NO ONE CAME TO TRY TO HELP US!
The hotel really needs to get some things together if it doesn't want to start listening to a list of complaints .the hotel could be a fantastic place if they take care of all this details cause it really has the potential to be fantastic.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Despegar.com, Cheap Tickets and Jetsetter so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico