We recently returned from our family vacation at Mahekal Beach Resort and were very happy we chose to return. My husband and I first visited the resort 9 years ago when it was known as Shangri -La Caribe and finally made it back! It took us longer than we thought and were very happy to come back to the simplicity of the resort: the beach, the sunrises, the food, the ambience....simply relaxing.
This time around it was a family vacation with our four year old son. The water is calm and clean and our son truly enjoyed his time when not at the beach in the pool. We were worried we would catch some rain and the first three days was just perfect weather. Wed and Thursday were followed by some rain, but we spent Thursday in Xcaret and it worked out perfectly. The last few days of our stay the sun was out again but the water was not as tranquil due to the rain and wind on Thursday, never the less we enjoyed it. We like this time of year beacuse its not as busy in Playa.
Playa 5th Avenue is walking distance from the resort where you can find many shops,restaurants and bars. Some a bit too pricey. We ate at three restaurants on la 5ta. All great food. Playa del Carmen has grown so much since our visit that we enjoyed the seclusion of the resort even with its close proximity to 5ta Avenida.
I think what contributes to the ambience of this hotel is the staff i.e. Jose, Juan Manuel, Edith, Boli, Alexandra. They were all very cordial and helpful. Staff at Aventura restaurant is great, always a warm welcome at the restaurant or when taking our lunch order under the palapa at the beach. We recommend the Shrimp ceviche with Habanero sauce on the side! The breakfast buffet could be a bit redundantm then again we had breakfast there 8 days. Lunch and dinner were fine. We changed a few of our dinners to lunch on the days we decided to go out to 5ta for dinner. It worked out for us.
I do have to mention we initially stayed at Caribe section beach view palapa room with 2 beds, but the room felt small and personally I think it's in need of some upgrades. The location was good, but we decided to upgrade to an ocean front palapa on our second day. The new room was spacious, it was right in front of the beach and with our four year old it worked out perfectly. Speaking of remodeling there was a section closed off because they are remodeling some palapa rooms. We were not inconvenienced at all by this, but it's good to see they are upgrading the rooms. The rooms don't have phone or TV's and we actually don't mind at all- that's part of the charm of this hotel. We worried a bit that our son would not enjoy the resort and looked into booking all inclusive with kids club type hotels when booking our trip, but were very happy we returned to this particular beach resort. The beach and ambience did not dissapoint and was just like we remembered it. Our son didn't need the TV at all, he enjoyed the great food, beach, pool, and walking to 5ta!
Our stay was from September 28 - October 6th, 2013. We hope to return soon!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico