Gorgeous white sand beach and calm waters. We were there mid July. Bungalows (palapas) were positioned nicely to offer almost everyone a view of the water. Charming and beachy. We walked way up and down the beach and determined our resort had the best stretch of sand. It is a public beach with many Mexican National tourists and we loved that! Mahekal has very good security on the beach so no worries about leaving your chaise lounge to dip into the ocean. They watch everything. Rooms were not in the best shape but served the purpose. A/C was pretty loud. Not enough lighting near and in the closets so bring a flashlight. We arrived and were not assigned to the type of room (location) we reserved, plus A/C didn't work. So after an hour we were moved to a lower level room closer to the water, however they did give us a credit on the price difference. I may not be objective since all my resort stays are measured against my favorite place, Nayara in Costa Rica.. but customer service could have been better. With the exception of the young lady at front desk, the supervisors/managers made me feel I was bothering them when approaching with a question (this was after the room rate issue). No thank you for coming when we checked out or "how was your stay?". Happy hour bartenders were not your typical social staff...and yes they did speak English. They have WiFi in reception lounge and bar area but it only worked for 2 days then was very spotty so that was frustrating. Massage Therapist at the Spa was pretty good! Breakfast and lunch was decent. I enjoyed sunrise run on the beach and beachside patio dining every morning. Dinner buffet- skip it and go into town! I gave it 4 stars anyways for the clean beautiful beach, location and charming grounds. Would we return? Probably yes, after their 2013-14 renovations are complete and if they get better WiFi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico