I am used to staying at large resorts with all the amenities (this resort doesn't have irons, fridges, etc). The Mahekal Beach Resort was BEAUTIFUL! The view and beach are breathtaking. Most of the staff was wonderful and very accommodating. When we first checked in they tried to put us in a room with two double beds (I had reserved a king). They immediately upgraded us to ocean view with a king bed (we were thrilled!).
The breakfasts were good - got boring after 7 days though. The lunch was very good if your craving good ole American burgers and comfort food. The dinners were just okay. Nothing too impressive. I actually had more bad experiences than good with the dinners.
The Concierge was outstanding and helped us make reservations and get taxi's as needed. Very helpful and friendly! I would recommend this place to couples and families that are looking for a different experience other than a large resort. It was very relaxing swinging in the hammocks they set up for you! Overall it was a great vacation!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Jetsetter, Cancelon, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico