This hotel has a very nice and natural lay-out, with several 2 story chalets/cabanas. Each cabana has its own veranda and 2 hammocks, the rooms are simple with terracotta tiles and 2 windows, the bathroom has good natural light, a shower and a make-up mirror (nice touch). The rooms have a nice and efficient air-con and do not have TV or telephone., the room had 2 double beds, the mattress was firm and comfortable, the pillows were clean (what a relief no moldy smell)we stayed at room 8B-with glorious views of the sea, I counted 20 steps to the beach. The hotel provides lounge chairs and towels, with plenty seating. The swimming (02) pools are on the smaller side but very nice. The hotel offers a half-board system, the breakfast buffet is wonderful, plenty of fruits, pastries, juices, etc, then you can still order pancakes, eggs etc:, dinner is the other meal included, but if you wish the hotel is very flexible and you can exchange for lunch, provided you tell the front desk in advance. I found the quality of food very good. The steak and fish I had been excellent and service friendly and efficient and no waiting on line forever.
The location of this hotel is excellent in my view because you are located very close (10 minutes walk) from Fifth Avenue is lined with hundreds of shops, bars and restaurants, travel companies where you can book many day trips. A 20 minutes walk takes you to the Ferry (we went to Cozumel 25 Us dollars both ways) or walk to the main avenue and get a taxi. I would highly recommend d this Hotel to my friends, if you are travelling with teenagers (I have two) this may not be the place for you ; it could be boring, with no TV in the rooms and, Internet Wi-Fi (free) available only in the lobby You may prefer to stay in one of those resorts that you have to wait 14 minutes for the elevator and ,walk 1 mile to the beach or take a ride on a golf cart and , if you are lucky you will find a free chair to sit on!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, Orbitz, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Cheap Tickets and Expedia so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico