The Mahekal is wonderful! Oswaldo at the front desk was great. We were greeted with a cool hand towel and a bottle of water. Very nice touch. We stayed in the Garden View Caribe and I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again. The walk to the beach is short, along well manicured paths. The pool area by the bar is nice and was mostly deserted as most guests went to the beach area. Getting chairs under palapas was never a problem.
The breakfast was delicious with enough variety. We ate lunch twice and dinner three times while we were there. We didn't have a problem with any of the food. The buffet style dinners had plenty of variety and was good. The lunches were also very good. The lunch and breakfast areas are different than dinner location. It was nice to sit by the pool right next to the beach and eat breakfast or lunch.
I was encouraged by the Tripadvisor reviews prior to booking this vacation. Glad to confirm that this is really a wonderful facility and we are already planning a return trip.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Mahekal Beach Resort is a legendary resort village located on 800 feet of white sand beach in the heart of vibrant Playa del Carmen. It has 198 thatched roof, palapa-style bungalows within steps of Fifth Avenue, the celebrated entertainment, shopping, and restaurant district of Playa del Carmen. The thousands of loyal repeat guests at Mahekal Beach Resort describe it as magical, memorable, and authentically Yucatecan. Our style is friendly and relaxed, a unique Caribbean experience where you can rock gently in a hammock on your private terrace and enjoy undoubtedly the best beach in Playa. Our guests love the fact that we have never compromised our truly unique ambiance and style. In keeping with that style, our rooms do not offer televisions. Instead, they feature original, brightly colored, Mexican tile bathrooms, private terraces with hammocks for siestas and star gazing, and locally-crafted Mexican wood furniture in an outdoor seating area where you can enjoy our magical sanctuary. The Resort offers meal plans that include breakfast daily and lunch or dinner. This choice gives our guests the opportunity to explore the many dining options in Playa del Carmen. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Mahekal Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mahekal Beach Hotel Playa Del Carmen
- Shangri La Caribe Hotel
- Shangri La Caribe Playa Del Carmen
- Mahekal Beach Resort Riviera Maya/Playa Del Carmen, Mexico